Looking for a way to select multiple tracks in the mix window

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rosindabow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Looking for a way to select multiple tracks in the mix window

Post by rosindabow »

I'm looking for a way to select multiple tracks in the mix window. I can do it in the edit window by dragging or selecting, works just fine. I would like to be able to do the same thing when working in the mix window.

And also in the mix window, is there a way to change the sends/outputs/tracks across multiple tracks at the same time? In other words, (for instance) I want to be able to add as reverb send and direct it to a specific bus and I want to do that across all the drum tracks. I can do this in Pro Tools. But it seems like inside DP, I walls have to do one track at a time. Has MOTU ever implemented a function to work across multiple tracks at once?

Thanks!
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
bayswater

Re: Looking for a way to select multiple tracks in the mix window

Post by bayswater »

The DP mixer is not well suited to these types of operations. You can set up groups and get some things to happen across the track in the group. But for the most part, the mixer is not designed as the a place to do edits on tracks, assignments, etc. The “DP way” is to use the Tracks window for these edits.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

So, can this be done in the edit window, is there a way to change the sends/outputs/tracks across multiple tracks at the same time?
Thanks.
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

rosindabow wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:53 pm So, can this be done in the edit window, is there a way to change the sends/outputs/tracks across multiple tracks at the same time? Thanks.
Assigning outputs is an easy one. Select the tracks you wish to assign and press Opt + A.

As for assigning multiple sends as once, I'd have to dig deeper for that. The searchable DP PDF manual might be useful there.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well... a quick search of the DP User Guide turned this up on p.856:

optdragsends.jpg
optdragsends.jpg (61.93 KiB) Viewed 681 times

So it looks like you assign a send on one of the Mixing Board channels, the option drag that send to other channels.
Attachments
multiplesends.mov
(3.46 MiB) Downloaded 50 times
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

Thanks! I knew about the option drag but not the option A. Always good to pick up more shortcuts.
Jim

Post by Jim »

You can select multiple faders in the Mix window by holding down Shift, and then click on the faders you want to move together.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Jim wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:27 pm You can select multiple faders in the Mix window by holding down Shift, and then click on the faders you want to move together.
Or show only those you want to move and hold down the temporary grouping command key (W?).
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8