MOTU TECH SUPPORT - A+

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
midilance
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU TECH SUPPORT - A+

Post by midilance »

I just went through hell as a result of moving from my 2018 mini i7 to a new Mac Studio. All of a sudden my new computer didn't recognize my UltraLite Mk4 audio interface. When checking showed "sound out". It was working but I had no access to the function of the UltraLite. As I have over many years, I set up a call from Motu tech support. It was Travis. For the next couple of days he assisted me with patience, technological knowledge, and unswerving perseverance. He dug deep and even enlisted the aid of Matt. This was a really tough thing to handle. It turned out to something on computer from way back when. He did it! He won the battle. It was amazing to witness. These guys are treasures for us. They deserve our admiration.
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.3.1 // DP 11.3.1 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Collection // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
zounds

Re: MOTU TECH SUPPORT - A+

Post by zounds »

👍
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Last edited by Tritonemusic on Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

I've always had good luck with MOTU tech support.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I've had very little dealings with them but when I did they went out of their way to help even though in the end it wasn't MOTU related but they got it resolved.
A+
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Congratulations. I've written them twice. I got one answer and one crickets - no reply whatsoever. I surmise that's because they were stumped and didn't want to admit.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Having used Performer and DP since like version 1 or 2, I have to say I've seen so many permutations of tech. support.

Lately their support has been absolutely stellar in my opinion.

Having gear and having to deal with tech. support from a lot of places, Motu easily has the best in IMHO.

I know your original post was about hardware, but I'm just chiming in generally.

And for such a complicated product.

If a mic pre stops working, it's a circuit issue or something.

If it's a DAW, with every single user using it in some completely unique way, and for unique reasons, the fact that they can provide such terrific support is I think astounding.

When I am at other studios or people's rooms that use DP and see how differently they use it from the way I use it, even windows I've never even seen before or opened, it's got to be crazy to give effective tech. support for a DAW?

And they just don't sort-of say a few generic things and then kind of retreat into "Hey that's all the interest and support you're going to get, it's not my fault if there are bugs but I'm not going to admit there are, you are on your own, bye".

Motu's tech-support actually researches the stuff and gets back to you with actual solutions, or temporary workarounds if something in the software has to be fixed.

There are some other terrific ones out there (Spectrasonics comes to mind) but definitely kudos to Motu!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sayatnova »

I have dealt with both Matt and Travis, they were both excellent and helped me fix the issue. Completely agree!
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB