Sequence to Soundbite Tempo from click track

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Polemarch
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Sequence to Soundbite Tempo from click track

Post by Polemarch »

Hi all! Got an operation that I feel like should be straightforward, but is not working as I'd expect.

I have a track with a variable click. Happily I have a printed click track that matches it, but unfortunately I don't have MIDI with this tempo information, so need to generate it. Usually I would:
1. Analyze soundbite tempo
2. Adjust sequence to match soundbite tempo

The original track doesn't have enough obvious beat info in it for analyzing the tempo to yield good results. I would think that the click would generate an accurate tempo map, but for some reason when I analyze the tempo and set the sequence to match, I get a static q = 59bpm which doesn't reflect the variability in the click.

I've had this process work great for tracks with say, a solid drum kit element. Any ideas why it wouldn't be working here?
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Sequence to Soundbite Tempo from click track

Post by bayswater »

I haven’t been able to figure out why the functions to analyse tempo in a soundbite sometimes work brilliantly and sometimes not at all.

When it doesn’t, I usually record a simple MIDI track with a snare or similar, and when it’s right, use that to “adjust beats”. A bit tedious, but gets the job done.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8