MOTU and USB Chipset types....which is better performance / less squealing?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Blackout
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU and USB Chipset types....which is better performance / less squealing?

Post by Blackout »

hi i have a MOTU8A and an Audio Express.

Both seem to have their moments when they "squeal" that really high 18khz squeal and lock up , or other-worldly bizarre behavior.

Just check out the possessed Audio Express mixer i get on a regular basis, i made a YT Vid showing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0COysCEBgAo

Used to be worse when i had them both on the Motherboard USB ports (Asus X99 Del II MB, it has ASMedia chipset/drivers for USB)

Then i plugged in a 3rd party USB card to try and fix the problem. Seems to squeal less often, it uses the Renasas/ NEC chipset. But it still happens.

Just wondering if anyone has established that MOTU interfaces "prefer" a type of USB chipset? maybe they like VIA more? or some other one? i am reasonably convinced this problem is a USB port issue. Driving me so nuts im ready to dump all my MOTU interfaces and just go elsewhere. IVe tried different USB leads, different power supplies, standing on my head etc....Im running outa options.

many thanks
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU and USB Chipset types....which is better performance / less squealing?

Post by mikehalloran »

I don't recall anyone reporting that around here.

The Audio Express is a currently supported interface. Have you filed a Tech Link with MOTU Support?

Otherwise, make sure you are running the latest drivers
MOTU Audio Installer
PC v92178 | Sept. 28, 2022
Windows 11, Windows 10 64-bit
Driver conflicts with Windows can be a problem, especially with games. Try using only the recommended Windows drivers per the User Guide and see if that has any effect. Support will want to know this. The manual is now 12 years old but it's a place to start.

https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firew ... de_Win.pdf
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Blackout
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Blackout »

thanks for responding...im running Windows 7 x64. So the drivers are close to 10 years old....nothing has been updated by MOTU, i suspect this bug has been there for a long time....

(not a games PC its dedicated to audio...)
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Blackout wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:20 pm thanks for responding...im running Windows 7 x64. So the drivers are close to 10 years old....nothing has been updated by MOTU, i suspect this bug has been there for a long time....

(not a games PC its dedicated to audio...)
Ahhh old PC Windows 7. Why didn’t you say so in the first place?

There are scattered reports of this. The issue might be USB 3 — it is a separate protocol and not backward compatible with USB 2. One thread reports the following:
4 years ago

I've fixed it by disabling all USB 3 drivers.
In the bios settings -> USB: set xHCI to disabled. Save, exit and restart.

Happy again
Something to try.

This was a Mac issue also in the early days of USB 3. That was solved by using hubs that output USB 2 and USB 3 to separate ports.

It may be time to upgrade your gear.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro