Macbook Air M2 and DP 11 Disappointing Performance

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Macbook Air M2 and DP 11 Disappointing Performance

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:55 pm
James Steele wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:53 pm
bayswater wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:06 pmMaybe if we got to the point where it "just works", we could rise to James' goal of spending more our time here telling each other about DP tips.
That's a day that will never come. That requires perfection, which I think really is impossible as this stuff continues to become more and more complex.

Besides... it defies human nature.

What motivates a person to go to a forum and take the time to write a post seeking help for themselves to solve a technical problem they are experiencing? Self interest.

What motivates a person to go to a forum and take the time to write a post sharing something they learned so that it could help others? Altruism.

And thus there will always be more of the first group and less of the second. It's been that way since the dawn of time.
Nice post, James. Thank You.

Hehehehe... was that cynical enough for you? Oh well... catch me another day when I'm feeling more optimistic about the state of humanity!! :lol:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:02 pm Hehehehe... was that cynical enough for you? Oh well... catch me another day when I'm feeling more optimistic about the state of humanity!! :lol:
Don’t give up. Note the first post by a new list member on track colour shades. One of those you can cut and paste into a library of tips.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

bayswater wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:56 am
James Steele wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:02 pm Hehehehe... was that cynical enough for you? Oh well... catch me another day when I'm feeling more optimistic about the state of humanity!! :lol:
Don’t give up. Note the first post by a new list member on track colour shades. One of those you can cut and paste into a library of tips.
Yeah, that was really good.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

bayswater wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:06 pm
Michael Canavan wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:13 pm ... if anyone else is running into live performance issues and track stacking, it's best to use the Activity monitor in multi core CPU mode to see where cores are distributing CPU. Couple that with the Effect Performance Window in DP and you can narrow down any issues.
Interesting topic. Perhaps one can ask, after decades of advances in computing, when will we reach the point where those who want to do more than watch kitten videos can function without perpetual trouble shooting.

IMO and this is going to be a bit controversial I suppose, the problem is people want to do complex tasks, and have it just work. Computers are multi task all purpose tools, they weren't designed specifically to perform live concerts, manage large studios, edit 3D graphics etc. but they can be set up to do those things.
I don't think Peter's annoyance is unjustified. He had a Mac that ran his projects fine; he bought a better faster one, and it didn't. At this late date, why should he have to delve into the technical details of computing to figure this out? I could have figured this out, and I expect Peter could have too, but should he have to? Maybe he should have stuck with it a little longer. I've had a similar experience with recent OS updates. You get it installed and start thinking about all the stuff that doesn't work as it did and think "do I need this right now?". No: "command-delete". Print the Amazon return address label. Back to useful work.
Peter never fully explained what was "wrong" at one point saying it ran the same as, at another saying it didn't work. Nothing about his post was about asking for help, just complaining, and coming up with his own conclusions.
I blame engineering. Consider the example of cars. Engineers developed standards so that if you mastered a few simple skills, once you drive one car, you can drive any other. If you drive on one road you can drive just about anywhere. It doesn't matter where you go, the basic skills will get you there. We haven't reached that point with computers. Apple had a stab with "just works", but it was little more than a dig at incompetence at MS. I've asked engineers why there is no effective equivalent to SAE in computing. The answer is that people who make computers don't give a #@^*. Someone else will deal with it. Even when they do establish a standard, it doesn't last long. They still think if they do thing differently from everyone else they get some sort of competitive advantage.
A car is a single task tool, a computer is not. Therein lies the problem, you have to set up a computer to perform complex tasks, a car always does one thing, drive.

Some people enjoy delving into these things, but others look on computers as appliances that sit in the background that should just do what they should. It's good to have people interested in covering for those who make computers. They do a lot of work and don't get paid.

I mostly love that people like to help other people, this is great, it's easy when you're using programs like DP that have a thousand page manual to get lost. The problem is we're constantly subject to people that find a "problem", come to a conclusion, then resist all attempts at help that might contradict their conclusion. This unfortunately happens a lot with older users, people get set in their ways, I'm as guilty of it as others here. I have an early 30's person around me a lot and they grew up with technology, they work around bugs and issues without anger or rants. I'm making a generalization and all generalizations are hyperbole, but there is truth to this. This isn't the first rant proposed as a cry for help prompting support posts, where the user had already come to their conclusions and ignored all advice that has been posted here.
Maybe if we got to the point where it "just works", we could rise to James' goal of spending more our time here telling each other about DP tips.
You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink. You cannot help someone who refuses to understand how computers work, work a computer.

Or more precisely, you cannot help someone who trickles information about their problem to you, then argues with you about the issue that they haven't even fully defined.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael, I won’t quote the post — it’s getting too long. Just to say I don’t really disagree with anything you said. I just want to make the point that while computers are cheaper and faster than when I started programming in APL in the dark ages, they aren’t much better.

I suppose one response to the expectation that things should get easier is the move from the usual personal computer to the iPad. Perhaps in a generation or two, that will become the better tool for some of us.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Was looking for this chart... stumbled across it. Interesting in light of the discussion in this thread.

https://vi-control.net/community/attach ... dium=email

Note the extraordinary performance of the M1 Mac Studio Ultra running buffer 128, which happens to be the buffer size I typically run. 8)
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
stublito
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by stublito »

THis was a discussion about the M2 chip.

Peter
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

stublito wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:39 am THis was a discussion about the M2 chip.

Peter
Thanks for that observation, Peter.

In case you weren't aware, M2 = (approximately, per core) M1 x 1.25 . Architecture for both SOCs is Apple's version of ARM.

One can reasonably draw some conclusions from the chart regardless of which generation of Apple Silicon is being discussed.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stublito wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:39 am THis was a discussion about the M2 chip.

Peter
No it wasn't. It was about your expectations and you not wanting to go through the process of trying to figure out how to get the performance that you paid for. Many of us here were willing to help you but you were not interested. Complaints don't make it happen.

When you announced that you returned it, the case was closed.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

bayswater wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:55 pm Michael, I won’t quote the post — it’s getting too long. Just to say I don’t really disagree with anything you said. I just want to make the point that while computers are cheaper and faster than when I started programming in APL in the dark ages, they aren’t much better.

I suppose one response to the expectation that things should get easier is the move from the usual personal computer to the iPad. Perhaps in a generation or two, that will become the better tool for some of us.
I'm not trying to argue with you, but they're much much better. For instance we would be talking about a MIDI sequencer only version of Performer then, and syncing Performer to ADAT for backing tracks live etc. and that was the bleeding edge. Essentially all the tasks we used computers for in the early 90's say, they do without any issues at all these days. We always want them to do the most they can, i.e. threads about "why can't I run this full orchestra library entirely within DP?" Because of that it seems like they haven't advanced, when in fact our needs/wants have advanced.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Mr. Canavan, I concur. Human nature.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I have always had a personal guideline for myself, and that is to "never underestimate the ability of programmers to quickly push up against the limits of new processors." It seems whenever there is some big gain in performance, developers look at this gain and say "Oh boy! Now we can add x, y, and z features to our software" and pretty soon your blazing fast new computer seems not so blazing fast anymore.

Some of this I believe occurs not just because of new features, but there's no incentive anymore to write "tight code" or for programmers to use low level tools like Assembler, etc. I'm not expert by any means, but it seems like when CPUs had limitations, programmers had to focus heavily on efficiency and how to get code to execute optimally. Today, I suspect, that this is no longer perceived as necessary and code may be bloated and it's okay as the speed of modern processors will sort of "cover" for any inefficiencies. Disclaimer: I could be totally off base here.

Anyway... this was my rationalization for not just opting for 64GB of RAM when I bought my M1 Max Mac Studio (I'm already wishing I could have afforded the M1 Ultra), but also going ahead and getting a UAD TB Satellite OCTO to run my favorite UAD-2 plugins when all the world (pretty much) was saying that everything is going native and there's no point to external DSP. I figured I'd hedge my bets. It's still very satisfying to be able to load up a reverb like a 480L or Hitsville Reverb Chambers on the Satellite and see a 2% per instance CPU hit in DP's Audio Performance meter.

The way things are going, even though I initially figured I'd be set with this M1 Max Mac Studio for many years to come, I'm already rethinking this. The way things are progressing with Apple Silicon, it's probably pretty likely there will be a Mac Studio (or equivalent) in a couple years that will be twice as powerful as the one I have for the same cost. So I'm planning to go on a "rotation" plan. At a certain time interval (maybe 3 years, maybe less)... I will sell my current office Mac used... rotate the current studio Mac to my office, and then buy a new model for the studio. Sounds good on paper, anyway. :D And yes... a laptop should be considered in that plan, but just not at a point where I want to run my studio off a laptop. I know it can be done... nothing against it... I'm just more comfortable with a desktop type machine for that.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
tbrianmann

Post by tbrianmann »

Hi, One thing I didn't see mentioned was Audio output. I might have missed that. I am using an M! ultra, MacBook Pro, and the performance depends on whether I'm outputting through an interface, or from the built in audio (headphone output). I assume this isn't just me experincing this. I tried for several weeks just to show up to live gigs using the headphone out, with adapters into an analog mixer and out to speakers. But I ran into the red with pops and crackles very quickly. When I brought a portable usb interface voila, much better performance with VIs. Thanks to all for all of the tips above for improving performance too. So just a question, was the original poster using an interface live or using the built in audio out?
DP 11.22, MacBook Pro M1 ultra, 64 gig memory Ventura 13.41 VePro7x, Play, Spectrasonics, SLATE Complete, LASS, Native bundle, 8dio, Various Plugs, Waves, Metric Halo Interface.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

tbrianmann wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:54 pm Hi, One thing I didn't see mentioned was Audio output. I might have missed that. I am using an M! ultra, MacBook Pro, and the performance depends on whether I'm outputting through an interface, or from the built in audio (headphone output). I assume this isn't just me experincing this. I tried for several weeks just to show up to live gigs using the headphone out, with adapters into an analog mixer and out to speakers. But I ran into the red with pops and crackles very quickly. When I brought a portable usb interface voila, much better performance with VIs. Thanks to all for all of the tips above for improving performance too. So just a question, was the original poster using an interface live or using the built in audio out?
This is a very good point. You just reminded me of this. I've experienced the same thing.

chokobo99

Post by chokobo99 »

stublito wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:57 pm I recently took the plunge and got a new (Black, yay) Macbook Air M2 and upgraded to DP 11. The results are disappointing to say the least. Yes I have Live Performance checked.
AND when I open Mac's Activity monitor, I see that there is 75%(!!!) idle time. This is obviously the source of my displeasure.

Why won't DP access all of the potential power of the M2 processor? Sheesh!
Hi!

It's not you, and yes it is very likely the M2 and DP. I don't yet know if it's a limitation of the MacBooks/Pros, or if this extends into the M2 Mac Studios, but it's real on the M2 portables. I can trigger this behavior with one low impact soft synth and Eventide's Black Hole. If I do the same thing in Logic or Reaper it's fine, but within DP the performance meter will go red.

I will address a few more posts in this thread to help clarify what's going on.