Beware of Upgrading ROOM 2.0.6 to 2.0.9 (Free version gone?)

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Beware of Upgrading ROOM 2.0.6 to 2.0.9 (Free version gone?)

Post by James Steele »

I'm not 100% sure, but I've had ROOM (https://gingeraudio.com/groundcontrol-room/) on my drive for a while and after the brief experimentation didn't really use it much. I launch it periodically (I have the stripped down free version) to see if there are updates. Well today I was prompted that there was such an update. I had 2.0.6. I was prompted to update to 2.0.9. I went ahead and did it thinking there would still be a stripped down free version. I think I was wrong.

After I updated the app, it appears I have two choices: pay $59 for the lite version (which I think might be the previously free version), or $119 (on sale from $149) for the pro version. If you opt for neither, ROOM simply quits. It doesn't appear you can now use it without paying at least $50 for the Lite version. If I'm wrong, someone chime in.

I may read up on the Pro features since it touts Eucon support. Not sure if that's something I can use. In the meantime, I rolled back to with an APFS snapshot since I wasn't sure what sort of helpers it might have installed, etc.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Beware of Upgrading ROOM 2.0.6 to 2.0.9 (Free version gone?)

Post by James Steele »

So far I've found precious little info and details about ROOM's Eucon support. Also want to make sure I'm correct about the possible demise of the free version, so I just filled out a support ticket with Ginger Audio. It reads as follows:
A couple questions:

1) As of version 2.0.9, is the "free" version of ROOM eliminated? Must I pay $59 for the Lite version if I wish to use it.

2) I only work in stereo... not surround. I also have Artist Control and Mix control surfaces so the Eucon integration feature interests me and might motivate me to buy the Pro version, but I can't find much information at all about it. For instance, does it work with just stereo and not the "Sphere" product? How do you set it up? Where and how within the Artist Control do you access the features and ability to control ROOM? Will you be putting any videos demonstrating how this works on YouTube, etc? I just would like to know if this is something I could use before spending $119 or $149 for the Pro Version. Thanks!
I'll report back what I found out for anyone that may be interested. I've gotten along just fine not using ROOM for a long time, however if I can use it to more efficiently engage/disengage Slate VSX or ARC3 from my monitoring chain AND do this via my MC Control control surface, I might be convinced to pay for the Pro version.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I have Ginger Audio’s Caster to apply an EQ to system audio on one Mac. It works OK, but for some reason Room had to be installed before Caster work work. Caster nags constantly to upgrade to a paid version, but I have no use for the additional features.

So thanks for the tip on not updating Room.

I’d also ask if anyone has found a simple audio utility to host plugins that can be applied to system audio. Caster works but it’s awkward and overkill. Those that I’ve found either host only VIs, or they require a significant setup effort on every startup.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:17 pmI’d also ask if anyone has found a simple audio utility to host plugins that can be applied to system audio. Caster works but it’s awkward and overkill. Those that I’ve found either host only VIs, or they require a significant setup effort on every startup.
As a matter of fact, YES!

I'm trying this out now with the demo, but Rogue Amoeba's SoundSource seems to be very promising so far. It requires the same ACE extension or whatever that is installed when you install Audio Hijack, but I've been testing it out to use with ARC3 or Slate VSX to apply system wide as well as the ability to just toggle those effects off, and this seems to really work well. You can access it from the menu bar and enable or disable Audio Units, etc.

https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/

Try the demo.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

P.S. It's $39, which honestly isn't that bad if it turns out I can use it like I'm hoping.

All I really want to do is be able to not have to futz around with enabling/disabling ARC3 or Slate VSX on my main stereo buss... or worry about forgetting to disable it during a bounce. If I have it on system wide that won't be an issue anymore.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks. Will have a look. Odd that Apple includes some decent plugins in the OS but no simple utility to use them.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just got official word from Ginger Audio. They are indeed killing off the free version:
Hi James,
1. Yes, this is correct.
2. Yes, the Artist control is supported also from ROOM stereo. We are working on some videos that shall be released shortly.
Basically, you would go to settings>controller> enable Eucon and you are good to go.