PlugIns /Muting / CPU

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

PlugIns /Muting / CPU

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I know this is probably 10,000th-plus post on this issue, but what do you have to do to get a plugin to completely stop using CPU in DP?

Disabling the track doesn't work for me. Disabling & Bypassing doesn't do it. Disabling & Bypassing & Turning off the track's Automation Recording/Play doesn't do it?

I there any way to do this?

I see it in my Effects Performance window using up CPU no matter what I do?

Thanks!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: PlugIns /Muting / CPU

Post by James Steele »

Hmmm... that's truly bizarre. I you actually *disable* as opposed to simply "play disabling" a track, it shouldn't be using ANY CPU. I need to look at this.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Sure sounds like you are Muting (Arrow), not Disabling (Round.)
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

What I meant was taking a track out of play?

Is there another way to disable?

I don't have a right-clickable mouse, so I kind of forget I can do that, but control-clicking the track doesn't show a viable option.

Thanks!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

JSmith1234567 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:55 am What I meant was taking a track out of play?

Is there another way to disable?

I don't have a right-clickable mouse, so I kind of forget I can do that, but control-clicking the track doesn't show a viable option.

Thanks!
Accidentally deleted you screenshot... sorry. Hazards of being Admin is sometimes I mean to "Quote" a post and I accidentally choose "Edit."

Anyway, you should have a column called "ENA" for "Enable." Click the little blue ball to disable the track.

columns.jpg
columns.jpg (21.63 KiB) Viewed 876 times

If you don't see the "ENA" column, double click on the the column headers in the Track Overview and it should open the prefs panel. Make sure "Enable" (red arrow) is checked. That should allow you to truly "disable" a track freeing up CPU from plugins on that track.

enable.png
enable.png (1.63 MiB) Viewed 882 times
Last edited by James Steele on Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added red arrow to columns graphic. Yeah... I'm OCD! :P

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

As you may already know, V-rack is your friend when it comes to save CPU.
Most of my CPU-hog plugins lay in V-racks.
Disabling a V-rack does free CPU. And disabling V-rack is just a click away.

Applies only to bus-FX (reverb, delay, etc) and master-track compressors (Unisum, Ozone, etc).
Hope this helps.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

daniel.sneed wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:26 pmApplies only to... master-track compressors (Unisum, Ozone, etc).
Hope this helps.
Yep... I need to adopt that workflow as the plugins in my Master Fader track affect latency of VIs when tracking. :D

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Note that unless CPU is a problem, muting is better than disabling. Muting just changes the output level to zero. Disabling removes the resources for the signal path, so when you enable the track again, there will be a delay and probably some glitches while the signal path is re-established.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:Note that unless CPU is a problem, muting is better than disabling.
Indeed. Although I think the OP was concerned primarily about the CPU hit?

JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Thank you all!

I just did that and it indeed works.

I didn't have Enable in my Tracks Window preferences before.

Didn't actually know it existed.

This is terrific as I can now keep all sorts of parallels loaded and just enable them if I need them.

Thanks again!
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

This is still fantastic, but the only odd thing about it is that if I have a plugin open on the desktop. disabling the track makes it go blank as expected, but after re-enabling the track, the GUI is still blank.

If I close the GUI and reopen it, it's not blank anymore?

Not a dealbreaker, but weird!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

JSmith1234567 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:48 am This is still fantastic, but the only odd thing about it is that if I have a plugin open on the desktop. disabling the track makes it go blank as expected, but after re-enabling the track, the GUI is still blank.

If I close the GUI and reopen it, it's not blank anymore?

Not a dealbreaker, but weird!
Hmmm... sounds like a bug. I bet it's probably certain plugins and not all of them, right? Your signature says you're on DP 11.03, is that correct? You can try DP 11.22 and see if it gets better. You CAN have more than one version of DP on your Mac at once. Just be sure to rename DP 11.03 first. Before running the DP 11.22 installer, change the name of the app in the Finder from "Digital Performer" to "Digital Performer 11.03." Then run the DP 11.22 installer and it will not overwrite your older version. The new version will appear as "Digital Performer." Out of habit, and caution, I always append the version number to the name of the DP app after installing in case I want to revert to using an older version.

Chandrasekar
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Chandrasekar »

Isn't why the VST3 version came in to existence?
(Lower or disable CPU usage when not in use)

Regards.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:52 pm
bayswater wrote:Note that unless CPU is a problem, muting is better than disabling.
Quite possibly. My comment was for general consumption.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:28 pm
James Steele wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:52 pm
Quite possibly. My comment was for general consumption.
Ahhh... well it was yummy! :D