Can Motu M2 handle active guitar pickups?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Leoni
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Can Motu M2 handle active guitar pickups?

Post by Leoni »

Will i be able to use EMG 81 TW active pickups with the motu m2 audio interface without any problems?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Can Motu M2 handle active guitar pickups?

Post by mikehalloran »

Leoni wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:35 pm Will i be able to use EMG 81 TW active pickups with the motu m2 audio interface without any problems?
Yes.
2 x XLR/TRS "combo jack" mic/line/Hi-Z guitar inputs
There are no guarantees that you will like the resulting sound which will probably be quite clean. Cranking the Gain knob will not give you analog distortion. That's what plug-ins and amp sims are for.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

There shouldn't be an issue with the pickups being too hot (i.e., clipping the inputs). Just adjust the gain to stay below clipping. There's no High Z switch, so the inputs are just set at 1 Meg Ohm. The input impedance will have some affect on the tone, so if you aren't happy with how it is sounding you can use a DI and go into the XLR input (as a mic level source). As Mike says, all the stuff to make the electric sound like it's going through a typical preamp/amp/cab will have to happen in software.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Leoni

Post by Leoni »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:53 pm
Leoni wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:35 pm Will i be able to use EMG 81 TW active pickups with the motu m2 audio interface without any problems?
Yes.
2 x XLR/TRS "combo jack" mic/line/Hi-Z guitar inputs
There are no guarantees that you will like the resulting sound which will probably be quite clean. Cranking the Gain knob will not give you analog distortion. That's what plug-ins and amp sims are for.
Hey thx for the reply. But that is with every audio interface, right? You always need a plug-ins and amp sims to get the proper analog distortion?
Leoni

Post by Leoni »

stubbsonic wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:06 pm There shouldn't be an issue with the pickups being too hot (i.e., clipping the inputs). Just adjust the gain to stay below clipping. There's no High Z switch, so the inputs are just set at 1 Meg Ohm. The input impedance will have some affect on the tone, so if you aren't happy with how it is sounding you can use a DI and go into the XLR input (as a mic level source). As Mike says, all the stuff to make the electric sound like it's going through a typical preamp/amp/cab will have to happen in software.
So do i need DI in order to use the XLR input as an mic level source and without DI this is not possible with guitar you mean?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Leoni wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:12 pm
So do i need DI in order to use the XLR input as a mic level source and without DI this is not possible with guitar you mean?
Huh?

You have two channels, each with a combination jack.

The XLR of the CombiJack is mic level with switchable 48V phantom power. The TRS in the middle gives you instrument level. Two guitars or two microphones or one of each.

Your Monitor buttons will determine how you hear the two Channels.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm not sure how the M2/M4 adjust gain based on which input connector is used. The manual does say to use TRS (not XLR) for line level signals. If you plug in your guitar straight into the combi jack with an unbalanced 1/4" TS instrument cable, it will work fine.

I only suggested the DI thing as something to try if you weren't happy with the sound, but ignore that.

Have you tried plugging your guitar straight into the input? If so, how did it go?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Leoni

Post by Leoni »

stubbsonic wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:30 pm I'm not sure how the M2/M4 adjust gain based on which input connector is used. The manual does say to use TRS (not XLR) for line level signals. If you plug in your guitar straight into the combi jack with an unbalanced 1/4" TS instrument cable, it will work fine.

I only suggested the DI thing as something to try if you weren't happy with the sound, but ignore that.

Have you tried plugging your guitar straight into the input? If so, how did it go?
I will try when i get my guitar and let you know. I had previously guitar with passive pickup (Seymour duncan black winter) and it worked out just fine with the motu m2, but i do remember not liking active pickups tones, when i use to have active pickups long time ago with audio interface and this is why i was worried.
jotunbjorn

Post by jotunbjorn »

EMG's (9V) peak at -11db with my M4. It's not the actives you should worry about. Dimebucker peaks at -4db.