Crappy Workaround for Alphabetizing Categories in Plugin Menus (SEE BETTER WAY IN THREAD!)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Crappy Workaround for Alphabetizing Categories in Plugin Menus (SEE BETTER WAY IN THREAD!)

Post by James Steele »

Made a very quick video showing how you can alphabetize categories inside of folders. It's a pain in the butt, but until MOTU adds a capability to re-order these directly, this is how you have to do it. I think this also works with folders. The main idea is that categories or folders order themselves in the order they were added to a folder.

In the video, I added an "SSL" category to a folder and it appears at the bottom of the list of categories. I then have to "peel away" the categories above "SSL" by dragging them to a "Sorting" folder (which because it is usually empty will not appear in the plugin menu when your right-click an insert) until "SSL' is in the correct spot, and then then drag the categories I previously moved out of the "Sorting" folder back into the original folder in correct alphabetical order (in this case, bottom to top). Then they appear beneath "SSL."

Should be self explanatory from the video:

JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Re: Crappy Workaround for Alphabetizing Categories in Plugin Menus

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks for posting that. Here's hoping that someday that video will be obsolete.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:12 am Here's hoping that someday that video will be obsolete.
+1. There is an obvious fix for an otherwise very useful feature.
I used this workaround when User Categories first arrived. It's a bit time consuming, but fine for the initial setup. It's just too much when you add a lot of plugins and want to put them in categories, and worse if you decide to reorganize them. I gave up on it and did a spreadsheet. It's not ideal either, but at least you only have to deal with each plugin once.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I used to be pretty resistant to the Effects Chooser, mainly because I thought the font was a bit too small. But I’m learning that it’s a hell of a lot easier just to start typing the first few letters of a plug-in and then use the down arrow to select it and then the enter key to load it. It’s probably a lot faster than using right-click and the hierarchal menu.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Hi thank you for this!

This is really helpful to me.

I actually have done a similar thing with Clippings, as it will only put things in order of when you added them.

Actually ANYTHING to do with clippings crashes DP for me about 95% of the time.

It took me a few moment to decide on that percentage before I just typed it.

It's probably more like 98% when I think about it.

Anyway I digress.

Thanks for this idea and the video!

:) :) :)
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
cjb

Post by cjb »

After being frustrated by the inability to reorder in the effects categories as well, I realized some ways back that a quicker way to do what you're wanting to do is:

- First, select the category that alphabetically would follow directly after the new one your adding, then 'Add Category'
- Give it your desired name and hit Enter and it will appear in the list directly above the one you selected in the previous step
- Done
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cjb wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:09 pm After being frustrated by the inability to reorder in the effects categories as well, I realized some ways back that a quicker way to do what you're wanting to do is:

- First, select the category that alphabetically would follow directly after the new one your adding, then 'Add Category'
- Give it your desired name and hit Enter and it will appear in the list directly above the one you selected in the previous step
- Done
Aha!!!! This is indeed much better. I just tried it. I guess I assumed (wrongly) that I needed to select a folder and then choose "Add Category." Maybe I was thinking if I selected a category and then chose "Add Category" it would make a sub-category?? Either way, this is indeed MUCH BETTER!! Thank you! Cant believe I was doing the other way for a while now!!
:woohoo:

dewdman42

Re: Crappy Workaround for Alphabetizing Categories in Plugin Menus (SEE BETTER WAY IN THREAD!)

Post by dewdman42 »

Has anyone tried automating this with Keyboard Maestro or something?
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Crappy Workaround for Alphabetizing Categories in Plugin Menus (SEE BETTER WAY IN THREAD!)

Post by James Steele »

dewdman42 wrote:Has anyone tried automating this with Keyboard Maestro or something?
Look at cjb’s post. It is much easier than what I’d been doing.

Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

James Steele wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:45 pm
dewdman42 wrote:Has anyone tried automating this with Keyboard Maestro or something?
Look at cjb’s post. It is much easier than what I’d been doing.
Oh man, do I need this! Thanks everyone. :headbang:
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

(deleted- never mind I figured it out) But I do want to look later at sorting the XML file
Last edited by dewdman42 on Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

ps - i guess the best way to completely sort an existing categories XML would be to edit the XML or write a script to edit the XML.. I will have to ponder that for a rainy day.
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I can't get right-click hierarchical plugin menus working in DP at all like in this old DP8 organizing plugins tips video. Does anyone know of any reason or preference that might be stopping it from happening?

I am using control-click instead of mouse right-click, as I still have an old left-click-only Apple mouse, but control-click does function correctly for everything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWvvHWOcMh4
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro