MIDI Takes via cycle record yet?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dazzjazz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI Takes via cycle record yet?

Post by dazzjazz »

Okay, it's been 3 years since I last asked about this, and I'm still on DP10.13 - I doubt my 10 year old iMac would handle an update (?).

I would LOVE to be able to create multiple takes of MIDI via cycle record - is this possible yet?

Thanks

Darren
iMac 27" 2013 24 GB RAM
OSX Catalina. Focusrite Clarett 8Pre. Heritage Audio HA73.
DP10.

Yamaha CP4. 1961 Hammond A100. Too many Leslies.
……………………
Darren Heinrich
BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano
PhD Jazz Organ Improvisation

http://www.dazzjazz.com/
stubbsonic

Re: MIDI Takes via cycle record yet?

Post by stubbsonic »

This is just an obviously great feature to have.

I suppose there's a small question of how to integrate it with the current UI. I suppose they could do a MIDI version of POLAR (I'm sure that's been requested before). Alternatively, a plugin could perhaps exist or be made that could do such a thing, where takes within the plug could be dragged & dropped back into the tracks window. But obviously what MOTU could do could be well-integrated.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
dazzjazz

Post by dazzjazz »

I just spoke to MOTU. MIDI cycle record is not available yet. Said they’d bump it as a feature request.
A few more users petition them would be helpful, I guess.
iMac 27" 2013 24 GB RAM
DP10.

……………………
Darren Heinrich
BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Noted.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

I've requested this multiple times since audio takes were introduced decades ago. I find it bothersome and disappointing that MOTU has yet to implement it. All that would need to happen is that MIDI tracks would behave the same way as audio tracks do, each loop cycle during recording creates a new take.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
dazzjazz

Post by dazzjazz »

I was wondering if there’s an issue with say, note off information getting chopped off and glitchy?
Shouldn’t be the case - they seem to have that sorted.
iMac 27" 2013 24 GB RAM
DP10.

……………………
Darren Heinrich
BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

There are some workarounds, and there might be some more clever ones possible.

Perhaps, using some combination of available COMMANDS, a bit of up-front prep, (e.g., creating a multi MIDI tracks instead of takes), and possibly using MIDI to trigger some macro utility, one could streamline the process of cueing up and recording subsequent takes.

Not sure what this would look like. Could DP send MIDI to a macro program like Keyboard Maestro? Then KM could send some MIDI to trigger commands back in DP?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I suppose you could set up a folder of MIDI tracks, put the first into record mode, and have a MIDI key command in the Commands window that issued a Down Arrow to move record status to the next track, and press that to start a new take. Or we could advocate for MOTU to implement a command to put record into Overwrite, Merge, or Takes mode. Doesn’t even really need to be takes. Layers would do.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

bayswater wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:55 pm Overwrite, Merge, or Takes mode.
I think this could be an elegant solution-- Doesn't even take up more screen real estate. Click on the mode button to toggle between those three modes, done. Bob's your uncle.

When in takes mode, and not in Memory Cycle, it would just always start a new recording in a new take. If Memory Cycle is on, it will automatically create a new take with each new cycle. DP will have to manage the note-offs amongst the takes if they overlap-- but that could just follow a rule of any note on in the cycle range stays on that take. Or there could be a little preference "notes XX ticks before cycle end push to next take". But one could just deal with that manually-- or put enough pre-roll & post-roll.

Are there logistical issues with this? Probably.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:35 pm Are there logistical issues with this? Probably.
More likely priority issues, catching up with Logic and Ableton with articulation and clips, and things like that. Not stuff I care about, but MOTU seems to be going down that path.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:
stubbsonic wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:35 pm Are there logistical issues with this? Probably.
More likely priority issues, catching up with Logic and Ableton with articulation and clips, and things like that. Not stuff I care about, but MOTU seems to be going down that path.
Not things I care about either. I’m more annoyed by a latency compensation bug with the hardware insert.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Perhaps a little OT, but whenever some little feature thing like this comes up, I think, "Yea, it'll never happen." That inherent pessimism I have about these kinds of features is a little discouraging.

dazzjazz

Post by dazzjazz »

Sure Stubb, like I said, it's gobsmacking it doesn't exist already.
iMac 27" 2013 24 GB RAM
DP10.

……………………
Darren Heinrich
BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano

pencilina

Post by pencilina »

stubbsonic wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:32 pm Perhaps a little OT, but whenever some little feature thing like this comes up, I think, "Yea, it'll never happen." That inherent pessimism I have about these kinds of features is a little discouraging.
My sentiments exactly.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I've been asking MOTU for a MIDI Plugin CC Lag Processor (Attack/Release Envelop) for years.

Cue obligatory R. Stones... followed by Gloria Gaynor.