Would anyone like to explain the AVB Routing Matrix to me?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Would anyone like to explain the AVB Routing Matrix to me?

Post by James Steele »

I've fumble through, but I have never had the "Aha!" moment where the lightbulb finally went off about the Routing Matrix... especially as it comes to the inter-relationship between the analog inputs and outputs on hardware devices and the then Thunderbolt "To Computer" and "From Computer" inputs and all the rest of it... Let alone the "Mix In" section, intuitively listed under the "Output" section.

I'm going to read the section in the 828es manual, but this aspect of my studio modernization has been the most frustrating damned thing in all my nearly four decades of using this technology. I had a firm grasp on EVERYTHING until the AVB Routing Matrix and never found a good "conceptual" explanation of what each section did and how they relate to each other and to various DAW software one my have on their computer.

Seriously, if I can ever somehow completely grasp what is happening in this window, it is ripe for a YouTube video where the damn thing is not just explained in "connect this to this"... but actual begins with "Okay.... here's what's going on..." and explains the big picture and concept and function behind the various sections and why you can't just enable an analog input our output, but have to link it to a "TB To Computer" and "From Computer" and the rest.

I'm probably not making any sense, but seriously AVB Mixer makes me feel like I"m having early onset dementia here.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Would anyone like to explain the AVB Routing Matrix to me?

Post by James Steele »

P.S. I'd post a graphic of my matrix... but with the 828es and the 24Ai... and the AVB streams it's too damn big.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I can relate, although I probably am suffering from early onset dementia. (I kid. I hope.)

I spent a number of days studying AVB Routing back when I purchased my 828es. Got it all set up and working as needed. Haven't had to look at it much since then, so whatever I learned has, to at least some degree, faded from memory.

One thing I DO remember: Make sure you have enough To Computer and From Computer lanes established in your matrix before you start laying things out. That, and the religious use of Naming Conventions, allowed me to get my matrix set up. Except for the slowly expanding flesh-colored yarmulke I now wear constantly, I have recovered from the hair loss.

Happy to sit down with you in the near future and assist, if I can.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I think the terminology (i.e., source/output, to computer/from computer, etc.) combined with the horizontal and vertical labels is not well implemented. It seems like after fiddling with it a bit I eventually get an "Aha!" moment as you say, and get the job done, but the next time I visit the matrix I have to waste time waiting for the "Aha" all over again.

What I'm looking at is a little different than yours. I have the 8pre es. But for me the left side of the screen seems to be my focal point. It has two columns: Output and Source. Across the top of the screen are your ACTUAL sources with the general label Inputs. Are we confused yet?

Say you want to get the analog audio 2 input to your computer channel 6. The source would be analog 2 input, so go across the top and find the audio 2 input column. Then run down that column until you get to the To Computer 6 row from the Outputs on the left. Put your tick mark in that column/row. The audio 2 input will now be listed on the left under the Source column.

To sum up. Sources across the top. Outputs down the left. Source column on the left lists YOUR choices from across the top.

I think the confusion for me comes from the whole input/output/to/from thing. A signal from the interface to the computer is the interface's output but the computer's input. And of course the opposite when going the other way. So are they inputs or outputs in the matrix?? :banghead: I think it's easier to think in terms of source and destination.

Don't know if this helped or made things worse. Hope in some way it helps.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

Phil O wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:11 am I It seems like after fiddling with it a bit I eventually get an "Aha!" moment as you say, and get the job done, but the next time I visit the matrix I have to waste time waiting for the "Aha" all over again.
My feelings exactly. I've gotten to the point of taking screen shots for certain setups. Always switching between how to monitor DP audio, vs the MAC's sounds. Then AUX mix is another doozy :shock:

Somewhere (not at my computer) in the manual it breaks it down to when to disable DP's monitoring to avoid double monitoring.
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES