Revisiting Dither

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Revisiting Dither

Post by Phil O »

Dither in the Audio menu.

On or off?

When, and more importantly, why?
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
FMiguelez

Re: Revisiting Dither

Post by FMiguelez »

Hi, Phil.

According to Magic D (and I corroborated this myself with tests in DP 9.52), you can just leave the Dither in the Audio menu always on and forget about it.

It ONLY applies dither when merging, freezing, or processing audio files offline.
It does not apply when we bounce files via the BTD command, so for bouncing we must do it as usual manually by setting a limiter at the end of the master fader with dither whose bit depth matches whatever you chose in the BTD dialog box (16 or 24 bits),

For exporting audio, I don't remember testing it, so I don't know if it applies there (probably not).

Also, I remember my tests revealed a bug regarding dither all across DP when working at 24 bits (Dither command in the menu and all DP plugins that offer it). DP ignores the setting and doesn't actually apply it! The resulting file comes out without dither! All other offered bit depths work as expected.

I tested this a few years ago, so IIRC, I merged and froze a test file with dither checked/unchecked, and at 24 bits they nulled completely :? . Working at 16 and 32bFP, the difference meter in the null test spat the dither only, as expected.

There's a DP plugin that offers all bit depths (7, 9 bits, etc). Same story here... all depths work except 24 bits. Same for MWLimiter.

We could settle this with finality if someone volunteers to reproduce (or falsify) my results with the same test mentioned above. It can be done quickly...

I'm curious if MOTU finally fixed this in DP 10 or DP 11...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Thanks, FM. I vaguely remember you posting about this some time back. One of the reasons I wanted to revisit this topic is because I was watching one of Dan Worrall's videos and he mentions that dither doesn't make an audible difference at 24 bits. (So maybe DP's 24 bit omission in the dither scenario was intentional. I don't know.) He also says, "...you're rendering a 32 bit file which doesn't require dither."

Anyway, I thought I'd throw it out there and get people's thoughts.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I LOVE Worall's videos!

Agreed. There is a difference between dithered/undithered audio at 24 bits (you can clearly see it way down in the meter in a null test), but we can not hear the tiny difference, so for all practical purposes, one could simply not do it and no one could ever tell by just listening (without blasting one's ears into hearing damage).

I tried it myself many times, and could not tell them apart at all. It was satisfyingly frustrating :D
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman