89kMK3 Hybrid line levels and guitar DI's

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
chrismilne
Primary DAW OS: Windows

89kMK3 Hybrid line levels and guitar DI's

Post by chrismilne »

I'm trying to use my Motu 896MK3 Hybrid with an IK Multimedia ToneX plugin. The gain was always weak due to the low impedance combo jack input (i believe 220ohm). I bought the IK Z Tone DI for guitar and it works on ever other audio interface except its highly distorted through the 896.

It appears the original 896 had a 3 way switch mic/-10/+4 according to the manual, but the 896mk3 hybrid is a combo jack that tries to sense the signal? In the manual it says to use the PAD for any line level signal, but if i turn the pad on it has a very low signal, i have no idea what to turn the trim up to in order to have the correct input level as guitar into an amp should be from a DI.

About to give up using the MOTU, any assistance appreciated!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 89kMK3 Hybrid line levels and guitar DI's

Post by mikehalloran »

"Line Level" is often misused and misunderstood. Many equate it with "Instrument Level" and sometimes, with some manufacturers, it is the same. Then there's -10 and +4 Line. This can all be looked up.

The centers in CombiJacks are normally Instrument Level. Your Line Ins and Line Outs can be configured in an 828mk3. The manual has instructions. Do not assume that standards since the old Bell Telephone through the mid 1960s are consistent — they are not.

If it sounds good, it is good. If the Pad gets your level too low, don't use it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro