MOTU USB Drivers not working - RESOLVED

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Zylvian
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU USB Drivers not working - RESOLVED

Post by Zylvian »

Hi. My third thread, I am really getting to know this forum.

I had issues with crackling audio through using my MOTU Ultralite-mk3, specifically when trying to use it as an audio interface in Ableton. After trying a bunch of stuff, I decided to reinstall the USB drivers.

Now, the mk3 isn't always detected when connected through USB. And when it is, Cuemix FX crashes upon opening, and I am unable to select the MOTU as an audio device through Windows sound settings (the option to select the MOTU is there, but upon clicking, it freezes up and deselects it). Furthermore, I have tried the same with factory resetting the device, as well as upgrading its firmware to the newest version.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers several times, with a PC restart in-between all of them. I am at a loss as to what to do at this point, as the MOTU UltraLite-mk3 simply won't communicate with my PC.

If anybody knows of some deep dive suggestion, I'd be glad to hear it.
Windows 10
Version 21H2 (OS Build 19044.3086)

MOTU UltraLite-mk3
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU USB Drivers not working

Post by James Steele »

I might suggest, if you are using a browser on a computer, to add a signature that includes some info about your system, like the model of computer and version of the OS. It will be helpful.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Zylvian
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Zylvian »

James Steele wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:36 pm I might suggest, if you are using a browser on a computer, to add a signature that includes some info about your system, like the model of computer and version of the OS. It will be helpful.
For sure, my apologies.

I might archive this thread. The issue seemed to be the specific USB cable. I swapped it out for another one, and the drivers are now behaving properly. I will probably make a separate thread about the intense crackling that the interface is displaying, and will make sure to add my computer and audio info in the post.

Thanks for the response!
Windows 10
Version 21H2 (OS Build 19044.3086)

MOTU UltraLite-mk3
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Wow... that's good news if the fix holds! I have been sometimes bit by a faulty cable!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Not all cables support USB 2. If the specs don’t include 480KB/s or 480Mbps, it will not work. Turns out this is a problem with office printers that, like interfaces, also require USB 2. “USB Printer Cables” exist in all configurations — these only support USB 2 and are backward compatible to USB 1.1 (mouse, trackball, MOTU MIDI boxes etc.).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro