Stage B-16 & MIDI

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
SamuelBLupowitz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Stage B-16 & MIDI

Post by SamuelBLupowitz »

My Stage B-16 has MIDI in and out ports, which can be a useful thing to have in an interface. But I'm wondering if there is a way for the onboard mixing software in the B-16 to receive MIDI cc, so I could connect it to a MIDI control surface of some kind, like the old Mackie Control units.

It would be very convenient to be able to assign some physical controls to the internal AVB mixer software, but I haven't found anything about this in the manual, so I'm wondering if there's some kind of hack, or if I have to abandon this plan.

Thanks y'all!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Stage B-16 & MIDI

Post by mikehalloran »

Start with the User Guide. In a Command f search, MIDI shows up 95 times. Tab through till you see the pages and paragraphs that apply to your needs.

https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/avb/S ... _Guide.pdf

This from pg 10 looks promising:
3. The Stage-B16 operates as a USB MIDI interface,
allowing MIDI software to communicate with
connected MIDI devices through the USB connection to the computer.
You will likely have to get into Apple's Audio MIDI Setup.app in your Utilities folder.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro