Karabiner app - powerful free keyboard key remapping app

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

I started this post in the "General Macintosh" forum, but as I was writing it, it seemed more like a DP usage tip... so here goes:

Some background. I got a MacAlly numeric keypad and a Kensington Orbit Mobile Trackball because they would just barely fit on the flat area to the right of the screens on my Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2. The idea was this would help me get around DP easier when I was over at the MIDI keyboard instead of facing front at my "mixing station" so to speak. This is what it looks like:

numpadtrackballonkks61mk2.jpg
numpadtrackballonkks61mk2.jpg (114.69 KiB) Viewed 913 times

Komplete Kontrol has some transport capability, but I like being able to use the numeric pad to rewind, fast forward, but mostly use the "dot trick" and hit the "." and then enter a measure number to get somewhere quickly. But it was still a little limiting. I wished I had some more capability.

Enter Karabiner-Elements app.

Here's the link: https://karabiner-elements.pqrs.org/

It's free and open source and supports Ventura and you have to jump through some hoops with allowing access to various things in order to install it. I made sure to do a Time Machine backup so I'd have an APFS snapshot to retreat to if things went south, but the app does also have an uninstaller if you want to remove it cleanly. Still, I'm happy to report it is not causing any issues.

Here's a screen shot of the interface.

karabiner.png
karabiner.png (134.93 KiB) Viewed 913 times

As you can see I set up a couple of remappings. I set up the forward delete key to be the command key so that I could hold down foward delete and then I can use the arrow keys to zoom vertically and horizontally on the timeline. I also mapped the equal sign key to "9" but on the 9 on the QWERTY keyboard not the keypad. I used those to invoke Window Sets and "9" is invokes the Window Set that moves the Control Panel and certain windows over to my 32" monitor by my MIDI keyboard.

Some good things to know... as you can see this can be device specific so only those keys on that device get remapped.

Also, you need to have the Karibiner app running in the background for it to work. I'm assuming it intercepts the keystroke from the device and changes it to the new one and passes it along. It can do much more, but I haven't figured out how. The MacAlley numeric pad has some keys "hardwired" to Cut, Copy and Paste, so I'd love to figure out if I can intercept a "combo" like Command + S and change it, but it may not be possible. So far, though, it adds some useful capability to the numeric keypad and no ill effects.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Karabiner app - powerful free keyboard key remapping app

Post by James Steele »

Well just an update. The MacAlly bluetooth numeric keypad has turned into a bust. It's probably because my Mac Studio is behind my 43" Samsung monitor, but the Bluetooth connection is not strong enough where I placed it on the keyboard. It's too far away apparently and it's not working reliably unless I bring it to within 3 feet of the Mac Studio just on the other side of my monitor. Probably will have to look for a corded option if I'm going to do this at all now. Arghhhhhh....

Thank goodness for Amazon I guess. Returns are easy.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

James Steele wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:54 pm Well just an update. The MacAlly bluetooth numeric keypad has turned into a bust. It's probably because my Mac Studio is behind my 43" Samsung monitor, but the Bluetooth connection is not strong enough where I placed it on the keyboard. It's too far away apparently and it's not working reliably unless I bring it to within 3 feet of the Mac Studio just on the other side of my monitor. Probably will have to look for a corded option if I'm going to do this at all now. Arghhhhhh....

Thank goodness for Amazon I guess. Returns are easy.
I really like this iOS app and it often goes free but still worth it:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/remote-ke ... 1135331999
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:54 pm Well just an update. The MacAlly bluetooth numeric keypad has turned into a bust. It's probably because my Mac Studio is behind my 43" Samsung monitor, but the Bluetooth connection is not strong enough where I placed it on the keyboard. It's too far away apparently and it's not working reliably unless I bring it to within 3 feet of the Mac Studio just on the other side of my monitor.
James, try a Bluetooth Dongle, placed nearer the target controller. I did that for years with my old Mac Pro, and if I needed Bluetooth today, I'd do the same.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:35 pmI really like this iOS app and it often goes free but still worth it:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/remote-ke ... 1135331999
I'll check it out! Thanks!

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:52 am
James Steele wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:54 pm Well just an update. The MacAlly bluetooth numeric keypad has turned into a bust. It's probably because my Mac Studio is behind my 43" Samsung monitor, but the Bluetooth connection is not strong enough where I placed it on the keyboard. It's too far away apparently and it's not working reliably unless I bring it to within 3 feet of the Mac Studio just on the other side of my monitor.
James, try a Bluetooth Dongle, placed nearer the target controller. I did that for years with my old Mac Pro, and if I needed Bluetooth today, I'd do the same.
Thanks. I may do that. I think big part of my problem was that my Mac Studio is behind my monitor. The keypad worked like a champ when it was on my desk and closer. The Kensington trackball, on the other hand, is also bluetooth but works like a champ just as far away as the keypad was. The problem is trying to find another stinking USB port... LOL... "we're gonna need a bigger hub."

As an aside, I bought a backlit MacAlly QWERTY keyboard not long ago and it's great except that it doesn't have the two USB sockets built into it like the Apple keyboard. I assume that's because the backlight uses up the power, I dunno, but it's making me consider going back to a standard Mac keyboard and put this in my office.. It also has fewer function keys.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Dirty little secret: The USB ports on Apple keyboards support USB 1.1 only because that’s all a mouse or trackpad needs.

This wired keyboard has USB 2 ports and is backlit.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079 ... asin_title

I bought one three years ago and couldn’t get used to the feel of the keys. By the time my wife told me she didn’t care for the feel either, the 30 day return window was up.

I’ll send it to you if yo think there’s half a chance it could be useful.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:24 amThis wired keyboard has USB 2 ports and is backlit.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079 ... asin_title

I bought one three years ago and couldn’t get used to the feel of the keys. By the time my wife told me she didn’t care for the feel either, the 30 day return window was up.

I’ll send it to you if yo think there’s half a chance it could be useful.
I appreciate that, Mike. Unfortunately it says "unavailable" at the link.

I got this one, and to be honest with you, I don't care for the feel, either. I've been getting used to it, but I really like the feel of the basic, white Apple keyboard with the "chicklet" keys... easier to type with. I may just give up the "neato" effect of the backlight, and move this backlit keyboard into my office and take the standard keyboard I'm using there into my studio.

I actually had a custom Logic Keyboard keyboard that had the keys color coded for DP. The company stopped selling them (probably not enough demand), so I was stoked I actually had one of those rare beasts, but I somehow fried it and it stopped working. I was bummed. Alas!

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:52 amJames, try a Bluetooth Dongle, placed nearer the target controller. I did that for years with my old Mac Pro, and if I needed Bluetooth today, I'd do the same.
You think something like this would do the trick:

https://a.co/d/3danAn8

I wonder how it distinguishes from internal bluetooth of the Mac Studio and this dongle? I guess it doesn't matter. I'm probably going to move my backlit QWERTY keyboard to my office Mac and put the Apple keyboard with the USB hub built in back in the studio. That would put the dongle in a good position to receive bluetooth from the numeric keypad since I haven't returned it yet.

UPDATE: Just read some less than favorable reviews on that one. I'll keep looking. Meanwhile, if you have the one you bought and know works in your Amazon history, if you could send me a link, that would be peachy! :)

Yeesh... all these interdependent parts we DAW users have to cobble together to make things work sometimes! :D

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Giving this one a shot:

https://a.co/d/6grL6BN

If I'm lucky, maybe I can put back behind the monitor or under my desk in my powered USB hub and I can keep the backlit keyboard for the "vibe" when I want to dim the lights in my studio. :D
5.0 out of 5 stars Works with mac Ventura 13.3 without any effort
Reviewed in the United States 🇺🇸 on May 3, 2023
Size: Bluetooth 4.0Style: 50m/165ftVerified Purchase
Exactly what I was looking for for my imac whose internal bluetooth was having intermittent failures.
Disable bluetooth, plug this in, wait 2 seconds, re-enable bluetooth, pair all my bluetooth devices and headphones and everything works great on mac 13.3.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I gave up on Bluetooth with my current setup. The keyboard, mouse, and pad kept disconnecting.

Looking for help, I came across articles telling me that BT5 and WIFI gen 5 don't get along, and that BT5 doesn't like to be in the presences USB 3 connections. The suggested solution was to move things around until the connections worked.

I found some arrangements that worked most, but not all of the time, but didn't find any that I liked.

I got a cheap old tech wireless mouse, went back to my old Apple USB keyboard, and plugged the pad in permanently. All was well that that. A side benefit was that latency from BT, that I hadn't noticed before, went away. In retrospect, that latency seemed to create problems with quick edits requiring a lot of mouse repositioning.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:48 pm
I gave up on Bluetooth with my current setup. The keyboard, mouse, and pad kept disconnecting.

Looking for help, I came across articles telling me that BT5 and WIFI gen 5 don't get along, and that BT5 doesn't like to be in the presences USB 3 connections. The suggested solution was to move things around until the connections worked.

I found some arrangements that worked most, but not all of the time, but didn't find any that I liked.

I got a cheap old tech wireless mouse, went back to my old Apple USB keyboard, and plugged the pad in permanently. All was well that that. A side benefit was that latency from BT, that I hadn't noticed before, went away. In retrospect, that latency seemed to create problems with quick edits requiring a lot of mouse repositioning.
Thanks for the input! I wish the MacAlly keypad had support for its own wireless dongle, but no luck. Oddly enough, the Kensington Orbit Mobile Trackball has no issue with at all staying connected with Bluetooth. I get that bluetooth has some latency, but if there was latency with numeric keypad, when it was within range, it was acceptable to me.

I've already ordered a bluetooth dongle from Amazon. With some luck that will fix my problems. If not, then both the dongle and the numeric keypad will get returned. (Or course this time, for whatever reason, Amazon wants me to drive to a Whole Foods location instead of the usual UPS Store I go to, which is not convenient, but oh well.)

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Oh, in the meantime I removed Karabiner from my system. Once more, I have to say how much I love developers who include uninstallers with utilities like this, and allow you to truly clean out your system and remove all traces (except for those pesky ".aot" files. I know not what they are, but they always seem to get left behind and can't be removed without booting into Recovery mode and using Terminal.) :(

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

James Steele wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:55 am Giving this one a shot:

https://a.co/d/6grL6BN

If I'm lucky, maybe I can put back behind the monitor or under my desk in my powered USB hub and I can keep the backlit keyboard for the "vibe" when I want to dim the lights in my studio. :D
Okay... update time. It looks like this did the trick, but it was not easy. There's no instructions with it. I found in comments on StarTech site it does not need drivers. To activate it, you turn off Bluetooth on your Mac, then insert the dongle into a USB port in computer or hub, then turn Bluetooth back on. You have to re-pair Bluetooth devices once you are using the dongle.

I did have trouble when I was experimenting with positioning the the dongle in various slots for better reception. Bluetooth would not turn back on in MacOS Settings. I had to use the following command in Terminal in order to reset the Bluetooth module which got it working again:

sudo pkill bluetoothd
(Then enter your password)

That got me up and going again.

What finally solved this for me was using an Apple USB keyboard extender cable to move the Bluetooth receiver dongle up on top of my desk surface so it was much closer to the MacAlly numeric keypad plus had pretty good line of sight as well. See pic below. I made a red arrow pointing to the dongle:

bluethoothdongle.jpg
bluethoothdongle.jpg (118.69 KiB) Viewed 681 times

FYI, there is a tiny blinking white LED on the side of the dongle that indicates that it is active.

For now, this seems to have solved my bluetooth issues with this keypad. It's very solid now and if there is any latency it's practically unnoticeable. I'm going to reinstall the Karabiner software now in order to maximize the usefulness of the keypad.

Yes... this seems like a lot to do to make this combo work, but heck... I think most of us who have studios have to fiddle around with this kind of thing to get things working. If this holds, I can live with this solution.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:52 amJames, try a Bluetooth Dongle, placed nearer the target controller. I did that for years with my old Mac Pro, and if I needed Bluetooth today, I'd do the same.
Exactly what I did. As you might have seen in my post I made just prior to this, I bought the StarTech dongle and used an Apple USB keyboard extender cable to get the dongle up on my desk and now it works like a champ. Honestly, I can't detect any latency. It responds like it's wired now.

Only difficulty I had initially was that if when I moved the dongle around to different USB ports it caused issues in the Bluetooth settings panel where Bluetooth refused to turn back on and I had to reset the Bluetooth module in the terminal using: sudo pkill bluetoothd

But just wanted to acknowledge that you indeed called it. Now that it's working, I'm glad I didn't punt and return the keypad. Besides... Amazon was going to make me drive to Whole Foods over in Hillcrest this time to do the *easy* return and we know what parking is like out there!