DP 11.22 is the crashiest app I have.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 11.22 is the crashiest app I have.

Post by mikehalloran »

A few days ago, I ran multiple plugin updaters. Between PSP, IK, iZotope, NI and UVI, over 40 libraries and plug-ins were updated. Because there was a Kontakt update in there, I shut down and rebooted before opening DP.

DP crashed on opening, of course. Just for kicks, I tried re-opening just to see if there was a magic number where that would stop. I tried rebooting and a complete shut down again. No change.

Finally, I opened DP in Safe Mode with the Shift key held down. This starts with the Audio Engine and plug-ins disabled, also rebuilds paths to the Shared Resources folder when you restart. Quitting then restarting brought everything back to life as I expected.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Jim

Post by Jim »

DP is still crashing on me when I open a Project I had been working on with my other computer - in both directions on both computers. However, after the first crash, DP opens without crashing on the second Open fairly consistently. Weird.

And also, when remixing some Projects that are years old from a previous version of DP, I still get occasional crashes from clicking on the GUI. I had one in which DP crashed during playback. That was a first, and it only happened once (so far).

I would disable MAS before opening, and then enable it after the Project loads, but I don't think that would save much if any time over letting DP crash, and then opening the same Project again.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
drburt2

Post by drburt2 »

I concur on the crashines of DP 11.22 and so use DP9 until I hear back that some of the many serious bugs I have reported are fixed.

I never record audio but use a great many VIs most hosted in Vienna Ensemble Pro.
The exact sam project with the same VIs active cradhes reliably in 11.22 and never in DP9.

That lack of crashing is the "feature" I loo for in software, so I will forgo the bells and whistles. I just want to hear my music... ;-)

Usually the crashes are without error messages or special circumstances that I can see.

This is not a crash, but sends me back to DP9 immediately: In mid session, I can no longer draw or enter CC data - past a certain bar number! DP techs have no answer.
Jim

Post by Jim »

drburt2 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:07 am I concur on the crashines of DP 11.22 ...
I was just about to upload this new bogus message I've been getting recently when opening or switching between Chunks. The bright side of this is that DP is NOT crashing at this particular time. I choose "Ignore," and go about my business. So, file this under Annoyances.

But, DP 11 continues to crash on open fairly often, and about half the time on Quit. It's less trouble to Save, then Force Quit.

Another issue is not seeing activity in my channel strip levels. Quit and relaunch fixes it.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-10-01 at 12.34.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-01 at 12.34.21 PM.png (152.18 KiB) Viewed 464 times
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I don't know if you saw this.
Have you deleted this yet? Open the following folder

/Users/(account name)/Library/com.motu.MotuAudioSystem/

Delete these files: Audio Unit Info Cache 64-bit, VST3 Info Cache v2 and VST Info Cache 64-bit. I removed the 32 bit versions also.

Reboot, relaunch and DP will rebuild those cache files. Caches are like Preferences in this regard.
My 64 bit cache files went back to 2012 so it was a long time coming. The 32 bit caches were much older, of course and there were AudioDesk files going back to the 1990s.

At the same time, I deleted old plugs that no longer pass verification such as SampleTank 3 and iZotope going to Ozone 2 etc.

Since I did this nearly three weeks ago, DP has not crashed on me once. Before that, the only app crashier than DP 11 was DP 10 before it. In addition, load times decreased to performance I'd not seen since DP 7.24 back in the 32 bit days.

Of course, there are other possibilities for the problem but I would certainly try this first.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro