Best/Most Economical way to increase ports for monitors on M1 Max Mac Studio?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Best/Most Economical way to increase ports for monitors on M1 Max Mac Studio?

Post by James Steele »

Phil O wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:25 am I'm not prepared to recommend this cuz I've only had it for about a week, but it's one you might want to check out:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-thunderbolt-dock

Plug and play - has worked perfectly so far. NOT cheap but the last thing I got with the OWC brand name was a 4 bay HD enclosure and it has lasted for years and has been problem free. Others here have recommended the OWC stuff as reliable. They have some other options in this line-up as well that may be more budget friendly (or better suited for displays). Also, check out the CalDigit stuff.

Also, check out the specs on your Mac Studio. I think it may only support a certain number of displays regardless of available ports. I don't know if the Raven affects that. Mike would be the guy to ask about that. 8)

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
Thanks, Phil. I ended up going with that one. Also they had a sale going on right now with a bundle where if you buy that dock (with $25 instant savings) and a NewerTech USB-C to HDMI 4K Display Adapter together you get a rebate and it drops the price down to $204.98 before taxes. So $220 out the door and shipped.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Phil O

Re: Best/Most Economical way to increase ports for monitors on M1 Max Mac Studio?

Post by Phil O »

Good luck with it, James. Let us know how it works out.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:49 pm Thanks for pointing that out, Mike. I found another by the same company that supports Thunderbolt and has more options, etc. but it requires driver software too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BKLT853Z/

I'm really glad you mentioned this. Maybe it makes no difference, but if there ARE options that don't require me to install third party drivers, I think I'd feel a lot better about going that way. Seems like that's just another level of potential issues or compatibility problems. Maybe I'm wrong.

Perhaps I'm better off searching on OWC instead of Amazon?
Any box using DisplayLink is an eGPU or has that as part of its functionality. This box is no exception. To my knowledge, DL is an OEM only and sells nothing under their own name. You buy the box with the features you like and check in with the DL web site every time there's a MacOS update—they will also email you (I still get them). It appears that these are the only way to exceed the 5 (4+1) Monitor limit on the Mac Studio.

TB 3/4 hubs can be used to conserve ports by letting you double-up and there are no drivers. The ones I have seen only support 2 monitors per hub. TB3 hubs are one to a port. It is theoretically possible to daisy-chain TB4 hubs off a TB4 port. Can you install 4 monitors off one TB4 port? Maybe… I've not read of anyone who's tried it. 4 Monitors off of two TB ports is certainly doable.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:16 pm
James Steele wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:49 pm Thanks for pointing that out, Mike. I found another by the same company that supports Thunderbolt and has more options, etc. but it requires driver software too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BKLT853Z/

I'm really glad you mentioned this. Maybe it makes no difference, but if there ARE options that don't require me to install third party drivers, I think I'd feel a lot better about going that way. Seems like that's just another level of potential issues or compatibility problems. Maybe I'm wrong.

Perhaps I'm better off searching on OWC instead of Amazon?
Any box using DisplayLink is an eGPU or has that as part of its functionality. This box is no exception. To my knowledge, DL is an OEM only and sells nothing under their own name. You buy the box with the features you like and check in with the DL web site every time there's a MacOS update—they will also email you (I still get them). It appears that these are the only way to exceed the 5 (4+1) Monitor limit on the Mac Studio.

TB 3/4 hubs can be used to conserve ports by letting you double-up and there are no drivers. The ones I have seen only support 2 monitors per hub. TB3 hubs are one to a port. It is theoretically possible to daisy-chain TB4 hubs off a TB4 port. Can you install 4 monitors off one TB4 port? Maybe… I've not read of anyone who's tried it. 4 Monitors off of two TB ports is certainly doable.
Thanks, Mike. I ended up going with the one our friendly neighborhood Phil got:

Seems like robust enough and will allow for expansion, plus no drivers necessary. :) More up front cost, but worth it for the peace of mind.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Here's a TB3 dock that lets you add two HDMI monitors for $129 at OWC. There's supposed to be a $13 discount when you add it to your cart. Oh, it also adds another USB 2, USB 3 and Gigabyte Ethernet port.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/docks/o ... -mini-dock

I like this one even better @ $79.99. Two Display Ports supporting up to 8K each. The dual HDMI version is sold out and no longer available.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-thu ... rt-adapter

There's a caution that some M1 and M2 Macs can add only one display but the list does not include the Studio — no surprise since Apple allows only one external on those Macs.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Thanks Mike... you probably didn't see my previous message. I bought the one Phil did. Plus I they had a bundle deal going on so I got it with tax and shipped for about $204. The bundle included that dock plus a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter which I'm sure I can put to use. :)

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Seems like robust enough and will allow for expansion, plus no drivers necessary. :) More up front cost, but worth it for the peace of mind.
No argument there. I like that these can be daisy-chained off a TB4 port as I suspected was possible.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:41 pm

No argument there. I like that these can be daisy-chained off a TB4 port as I suspected was possible.
Yeah... I should be able to ultimately add a fifth monitor and I want to at some point buy a 4TB NVMe drive and external case and move my sample libraries over to it, then repurpose my 2TB NVMe external to be a Final Cut Pro project drive. I don't do that much FCP, but am sure working off an NVMe that will probably get about 2,500MB/s read/write like the one I have will be a good thing.

What I found interesting is OWC had one model that actually had SPDIF audio output. I was wracking my brain to think about whether that was something I could put to use, but not really, so I bought the one I mentioned. Thanks again for your early input... saved me from getting the wrong one initially! :D

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There have been a number of recent threads so I decided to pick this one.

This article showed up yesterday. File it under For what it's worth…

Best monitors for your Mac in 2023

https://www.cultofmac.com/770205/best-m ... c-monitors

One thing it doesn't mention is that VESA stands on Amazon aren't expensive at all and, with some monitors, that can save a chunk of change if you want height/tilt adjustment and some company charges a fortune for that. Just sayin, Apple…
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Thanks, Mike. Yeah... the cheap 40" ultrawide that I bought was Chinese junk (and not the boat) and I just couldn't deal with it. Plus having been spoiled for a while with 4K... even 3440 x 1440 is just not enough real estate to me. It's hard to step backward.

I had been actually looking forward to moving this 43" 4K Samsung TV into my bedroom and replacing it with a "proper" computer monitor, but so far it's not to be.

I have considered making a purely lateral switch and getting something like this:

Dell U4320Q 43 Inch 2160p 4K UltraSharp, IPS Thin Bezel Monitor, HDMI, DisplayPort, USB-C, VESA Certified, Black
https://a.co/d/2kyUYYM

It would be purely a sideways move. Same size... same number of pixels. But I think it might be easier on the eyes and color accuracy better for when I DO want to do do Photoshop or video on it. Still a bit price at $933 right now, but prices drop pretty quickly on monitors.

This was kinda cool too...

LG 40WP95C-W 40” UltraWide Curved WUHD (5120 x 2160) 5K2K Nano IPS Display, DCI-P3 98% (Typ.) with HDR10, Thunderbolt 4 with 96W PD, 3-Side Virtually Borderless Design Tilt/Height/Swivel Stand
https://a.co/d/77cfpVd

That one is dropping in price, but still about $1500 but a lot more pixels but things will be smaller on the screen at native resolution and don't know that I can get it closer to me given the layout of my studio.

I'll take a look at that list at the link you posted. Good food for thought. I may just end up waiting for that Dell I mentioned first to drop to $650 or so in a year or two and just swap out so I can move the Samsung to my bedroom.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I've been holding off on posting, as I thought I had lost the link to a new-to-me aftermarket add-on manufacturer who I discovered by accident a couple of weeks ago. Turns out that I did bookmark their site in a less-used browser, so I found the link today for one example unit amongst their collection. Might be better-manufactured than OWC stuff, or a better combination of ports, once looking through their entire catalogue.

https://www.hypershop.com/products/hype ... cquisition
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Just saw this. Haven't used it, but the compliment of ports and built-n NVMe slot, makes it look like an excellent potential choice:

https://www.sonnetstore.com/products/ec ... -superdock
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mhschmieder wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:51 am I've been holding off on posting, as I thought I had lost the link to a new-to-me aftermarket add-on manufacturer who I discovered by accident a couple of weeks ago. Turns out that I did bookmark their site in a less-used browser, so I found the link today for one example unit amongst their collection. Might be better-manufactured than OWC stuff, or a better combination of ports, once looking through their entire catalogue.

https://www.hypershop.com/products/hype ... cquisition
I could find only one site where DisplayLink vs Instaview drivers was discussed.
https://www.reddit.com/r/macbookpro/com ... splaylink/
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:25 am Just saw this. Haven't used it, but the compliment of ports and built-n NVMe slot, makes it look like an excellent potential choice:

https://www.sonnetstore.com/products/ec ... -superdock
Interesting, especially the ability to host an m.2 blade for additional backup. At first I was concerned that 8TB was mentioned because of the known heat issues. Then I saw that it only supports one Lane over the TB pipe so excess heat is less of a concern—they don't say it like that but this does:
SSD installation is an easy task – simply remove the two screws securing a bottom panel cover, insert the SSD, and reinstall and secure the bottom cover. Transfer and access data at up to 800 MB/s, and effortlessly store large files, media libraries, or your Time Machine® backups.

800 MB/s is certainly fast enough for audio but those working AV and video might not appreciate the lack of speed.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:25 am800 MB/s is certainly fast enough for audio but those working AV and video might not appreciate the lack of speed.
I have a "need for speed!" :lol: That USB4 external enclosure that I bought on Amazon routinely gives me roughly 2500MB/s read/write with the WD Blue 2TB NVMe drive. Ever since I daisy chained it off off my UAD-2 TB Satellite OCTO, it mounts every time. Maybe it wouldn't make much difference I suppose, but I use it to load sample libraries, etc, and I feel like I couldn't go backwards at this point.