I guess I need MOTU AVB switch if I have 2 networked MOTU interfaces and want WiFi access? - RESOLVED!!

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I guess I need MOTU AVB switch if I have 2 networked MOTU interfaces and want WiFi access? - RESOLVED!!

Post by James Steele »

So I bought a Gen 9 iPad not too long ago on sale, and silly as it is, it just only now dawned on me that I could use the iPad to control the AVB Mixer using WiFi. Except that I can't...

I have an 828es and a 24Ai and because I've connected the network port of the 828es to the 24Ai (which I'm using as an input expander for hardware synths), there's no free network port to connect to a WiFi router. Hence, the only solution would be to connect my 828es, 24Ai AND a WiFi router to a MOTU AVB switch. And that is no inexpensive "piece of kit" as they say—costing about $400 new.

Seems also they have two variations. This one which I assume is the older model that has 5 AVB ports and then one designated regular Ethernet port (for connecting to WiFi router in my application)...

avb1.jpg
avb1.jpg (73.79 KiB) Viewed 4382 times

And then this one, which I suppose is the newer model that doesn't have a clearly designated "Ethernet" port, but from what I've read, each port can be configured as either AVB or standard Ethernet.

avb2.jpg
avb2.jpg (23.8 KiB) Viewed 4382 times

I'm going to try and find a used unit online. $399 is more than I'd want to spend. I'm assuming you can't just use a standard Ethernet switch with AVB. Ugh... I know it would add expense to the units, but really wish MOTU interfaces could have both an AVB port and Ethernet port, but granted that would add to the cost and crowd the back panel. All this to get my iPad to control the AVB mixer.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Re: I guess I need MOTU AVB switch if I have 2 networked MOTU interfaces and want WiFi access?

Post by HCMarkus »

James, you might be able to use USB to provide the connection...
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: I guess I need MOTU AVB switch if I have 2 networked MOTU interfaces and want WiFi access?

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:James, you might be able to use USB to provide the connection...
That’s a thought. Although I was reading the 828es manual and I vaguely recall something about USB network adapters not being supported.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:22 pm
HCMarkus wrote:James, you might be able to use USB to provide the connection...
That’s a thought. Although I was reading the 828es manual and I vaguely recall something about USB network adapters not being supported.
IIRC, the Ethernet connection is NOT required if using USB to connect a Pro Audio Interface. But I'm not sure that there is any way to select the Audio Connection if both TB and USB ports are connected to your Mac.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Might want to reach out to MOTU on that...
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Look at the 828ES Manual, page 38 "Web App Control over TB or USB"
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:38 pm Look at the 828ES Manual, page 38 "Web App Control over TB or USB"
Ahhh... thanks... it was on page 40 on my version of the manual:
Web app control over Thunderbolt or USB
If the 828es is connected through Thunderbolt or USB to a computer with internet access (as shown on page 35), you can access the web app from the computer, or any other device on the network. In this case, make sure you’ve run the software installer (page 31), which installs drivers that allow your computer to properly communicate with the device.
I'll try that out.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

It sounds like that's saying that if my 828es is connected to my Mac via TB, and my Mac is connected to my local WiFi... AND my iPad is connected to my local WiFi... I should be able to access the webserver in the 828es. So far I cannot figure out how to do that... assuming it's possible. There's not too much detail in the manual. If I run ProControl... at the bottom it does give an IP address for the 828es, but typing that in the URL on my iPad browser doesn't do anything.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:28 pm It sounds like that's saying that if my 828es is connected to my Mac via TB, and my Mac is connected to my local WiFi... AND my iPad is connected to my local WiFi... I should be able to access the webserver in the 828es. So far I cannot figure out how to do that... assuming it's possible. There's not too much detail in the manual. If I run ProControl... at the bottom it does give an IP address for the 828es, but typing that in the URL on my iPad browser doesn't do anything.
Maybe the call to MOTU might still be in order.

You could try USB, too. Good luck... hoping to save you the $$$!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:37 pm
James Steele wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:28 pm It sounds like that's saying that if my 828es is connected to my Mac via TB, and my Mac is connected to my local WiFi... AND my iPad is connected to my local WiFi... I should be able to access the webserver in the 828es. So far I cannot figure out how to do that... assuming it's possible. There's not too much detail in the manual. If I run ProControl... at the bottom it does give an IP address for the 828es, but typing that in the URL on my iPad browser doesn't do anything.
Maybe the call to MOTU might still be in order.

You could try USB, too. Good luck... hoping to save you the $$$!
Yep... I asked the guy on Reverb to kindly disregard my offer. Hoping he does.

I think the secret lies somewhere in the Network Control Panel and the Thunderbolt Bridge service. I think in order to have TCP/IP over Thunderbolt you need to properly configure it in the Mac. See below. I have no clue how to set this up so that the 828es is on my local network and my iPad can connect, but I'm pretty sure the answer lies in there.

thunderboltbridge.png
thunderboltbridge.png (101.11 KiB) Viewed 4312 times

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I just realize something else anyway… It’s not like there’s a thunderbolt connector on the AVB switch. Which means I would’ve had to connect my Mac Studio’s only ethernet port to the switch, then I suppose connect my MC Control, MC Mix and a Wi-Fi router to three of the switch’s ports configured for regular ethernet, and then connect my 828es and 24Ai to two of the ports as AVB. And all this would mean I would be connected up to my audio interfaces via my ethernet port instead of thunderbolt, which, from everything I’ve read, is less than optimal.

Luckily, the guy at Reverb.com let me off the hook for my offer on his used MOTU AVB switch. Hopefully I can figure out this thunderbolt bridge thing, otherwise, fuggedaboutit!!!

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Another random thought. There already MUST be a TCP/IP connection over TB between my Mac Studio and the 828es, otherwise I would not be able to access the AVB Mixer from a web browser on my Mac Studio. The thing I'm having a difficulty with is figuring out how an iPad connected to the same WiFi network as my Mac Studio can also access the AVB Mixer that is served from the webserver built into the 828es?

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Okay... well... I feel like an idiot... but finally found the answer and it was much easier than I was making it.

They key thing I was missing is YOU MUST DOWNLOAD THE MOTU AVB DISCOVERY IOS APP from the App Store!! Duh!!!

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/motu-avb- ... d892558414

I downloaded and launched the app and voila!!! There it is. Okay... well I feel dumb. I was thinking I could just access it via a web browser like on my Mac Studio.

Let's call this one resolved. Glad I didn't buy that AVB switch now!!!

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:01 pmLet's call this one resolved. Glad I didn't buy that AVB switch now!!!
:headbang:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Can't believe it was this glaringly obvious... this is what happens when you "assume" things. I thought I had to launch a web browser on my iPad like I do on my Mac Studio and there was some special IP address I had to enter for the URL. It was as simple as downloading the stupid app. My apologies to MOTU for not realizing they'd already come up with a good solution for this. I can only hope though that they continue updating this iOS app and don't let it suffer the fate that DP Control did. :cry:

Here's a FAQ that I found on MOTU's site that finally tipped me off to the answer:
https://motu.com/avb/avb-faq/#q1