Mac Mini Overheating

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
midilance
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mac Mini Overheating

Post by midilance »

I have had a 2018 Mac Mini that recently started slowing down with the activity graph overloading and ruining hot. This usually would happen within a few minutes of play and editing. It stopped my use of DP. I checked on YouTube under Mac mini overheating and there are a lot of topics for it. Finally I found out that the Mac mini handles cooling from the bottom and can fill up the inside with dust causing the overheating. A service center can take off the bottom plate and blow it out. In my case the heat had damaged it to a point where my Apple Store informed me that a new motherboard would be required at $500. With that information I have decided to trade mine in for a new computer (Studio).
Last edited by midilance on Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.3.1 // DP 11.3.1 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Collection // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
mikehalloran

Re: Mac Mini Overheating

Post by mikehalloran »

midilance wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:54 am I have had a 2018 Mac Mini that recently started slowing down with the activity graph overloading and ruining hot. This usually would happen within a few minutes of play and editing. It stopped my use of DP. I checked on YouTube under Mac mini overheating and there are a lot of topics for it. Finally I found out that the Mac mini handles cooling from the bottom and can fill up the inside with dust causing the overheating. A service center can take off the bottom plate and blow it out. In my case the heat had damaged it to a point where my Apple Store informed me that a new motherboard would be required at $500. With that information and the input of a friend telling me that my 2018 won’t accept the next new OS I have decided to trade mine in for a new computer (Studio).
Sorry to see that you are having problems. Although the 2018 can be taken apart for service by mere mortals, it is not for the faint of heart.

The info you received regarding the next MacOS is incorrect, however. Per Apple, the 2018 Mini is compatible with MacOS 14 Sonoma
macOS Sonoma is compatible with these devices.
iMac 2019 and later. Learn more.
Mac Pro 2019 and later. Learn more.
iMac Pro 2017. Learn more.
Mac Studio 2022 and later. Learn more.
MacBook Air 2018 and later. Learn more.
Mac mini 2018 and later. Learn more.
MacBook Pro 2018 and later. Learn more.
I'm guessing that Apple has offered you a trade-in or a gift card toward the next Mac. The Studio is a worthy contender but so is the M2 Pro Mini.

An Apple gift card can be used toward a refurb online or over the phone (but not in an Apple Store) and there are a few M1 Studios in the Refurb Store right now.
https://www.apple.com/us-edu/shop/refur ... mac-studio
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Re: Mac Mini Overheating

Post by bayswater »

midilance wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:54 am I have had a 2018 Mac Mini that recently started slowing down with the activity graph overloading and ruining hot. In my case the heat had damaged it to a point where my Apple Store informed me that a new motherboard would be required.
Thanks so much for posting this. I have the same Mini with the same configuration. This hasn’t happened to mine yet, but now I know what to do.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8