Spotlight won't index my DP Projects volume

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

RANT: Spotlight indexing completely jacked up. My DP Projects volume... unable to find anything on it in DP's File Open dialog again. It was back for a while today... disappeared again. Can't add to Privacy List and them remove to force re-indexing because it generates an error. Once tried brute force approach of backing up everything on it to another drive, wiping it clean and then copying it back.

Less than impressed with the alleged "robustness" of Spotlight. I'm not alone. A lot of complaints about this in Ventura. Ridiculous I have to lean on Find Any File.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well, I had tried all the various terminal commands and fixes I could find in forums.

What solves it for me is reformatting the volume and then copying my projects back to the volume from a backup. Now I can find files on that volume. We will see how long it lasts. Apple has some issues with Spotlight and I hope they can fix them with an OS update.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Re: Spotlight won't index my DP Projects volume

Post by mikehalloran »

If Spotlight has a practical use, I don’t know it.

Finder/Find requires an extensive knowledge of Apple filters to be effective.
I have to lean on Find Any File
Yep.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:12 am If Spotlight has a practical use, I don’t know it.
Spotlight is super fast at finding Kontakt sample files when selected from within the Kontakt window that appears when there are missing files.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I really like to have access to spotlight from within DP’s File Open dialog, but it’s been problematic for me for a long time. Sometimes it just stops working on my projects drive and I have to use the aforementioned workaround. It’s the only thing that seems to work… at least for a while.

Lots of people on Ventura reporting problems. I’m convinced there are bugs in Spotlight that Apple really needs to ferret out. They won’t be easy to find.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Excuse me for venting and being irrational. I try not to be but....

@#$%^&* SPOTLIGHT! IT IS SH*T1

A day later and none of my DP projects on my projects volume come up as results in spotlight. The index is gone or whatever. Not worth it to reformat the drive and copy over every two freaking days!! And I can't do the trick of dragging to the privacy window and then removing it to tigger reindexing as I get an error and I'm tired of playing in the Terminal.

Dear Apple,
Spotlight is sh*t! How about you fix it?

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Tell us how you really feel, James... :smash:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:30 am Tell us how you really feel, James... :smash:
Haha... just couldn't help myself. Seriously... I've tried every Terminal method I could find online. I have reinstalled the OS. I have reformatted and copied back all my projects to the volume twice. The damn thing is simply broken. When I wipe the volume and copy back my projects it works for a day or two, then the index disappears. It's a freakin' joke. I don't know if it's because I'm using a partition on my boot drive for my DP projects or what. I have no damned idea, but I'm forced to just give up on Spotlight until Apple can figure out what the $#%^ is going on with it.

I AM truly annoyed. Being able to search for a project via DP's File Open... or more useful... the Load... dialog is quite useful. Unfortunately, that feature is an OS thing and MOTU has no control over it. But for me... it's broken... might as well not even be a thing or exist whatsoever. I'm not going to try something insane like completely wipe and restore my boot drive to get Spotlight to work... and then for how long??? Like I said... it's a damn joke on my system and lots of people having issues with spotlight in Ventura. I'm not convinced it was all that great in Monterey as I remember having problems with it then as well.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Not worth it to reformat the drive and copy over every two freaking days!

It has always been possible to rebuild the Spotlight Index.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

I've never seen the benefit of doing so and stopped using it a long time ago.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yes... I know. You probably missed where I said that method generates an error. See below:

Screenshot 2023-06-19 at 11.52.08 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-06-19 at 11.52.08 AM.png (53.36 KiB) Viewed 1373 times

That's a pretty common error that Ventura users are reporting. The ONLY way I got results off of this volume was to backup the projects, reformat the volume, and the copy the projects back onto it.

I've also used the Terminal to rebuild the spotlight index, only it does not rebuild the index for my DP Projects volume.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It uses Siri to tell you this? Damn, that’s cold.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:08 pm It uses Siri to tell you this? Damn, that’s cold.
Hahaha... I think that's because in Ventura, the Spotlight settings are combined in "Siri & Spotlight." But yeah, that Siri is a heartless woman. She's not too bright either, compared to the current AI type offerings it seems on other platforms.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

By the way, inexplicably, Spotlight is now returning results from my DP Projects volume. Yesterday it didn't. Today it does. Bizarre. I hope it lasts a while!

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:01 pm By the way, inexplicably, Spotlight is now returning results from my DP Projects volume. Yesterday it didn't. Today it does. Bizarre. I hope it lasts a while!
Could it have just taken that long to do the indexing? Minor updates in macOS and iOS seem to lead to major resets that take days to complete.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I don’t think so, because it was working and indexed BEFORE it disappeared, then it came back on its own and nothing had been changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk