Multi-Channel Using Optical In

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Drader
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Multi-Channel Using Optical In

Post by Drader »

Hopefully I can describe what I'm hoping to do without getting too verbose and wordy (which I've already failed at by using 'verbose' and 'wordy' in the same sentence).
I'm not overly familiar with using optical in on the Motu but I was wanting to connect a playstation using an optical cable out and go into my 896 Mk3 optical in and receive 6 channels on it. I've done the connections and brought up the CueMix FX to mess around but I'm perplexed about where to go to get any audio to show (or be heard) let alone multi-channel.
Thanks for any info that anyone has on this.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Multi-Channel Using Optical In

Post by mikehalloran »

Although 2-channel optical can be a number of formats, multichannel optical must be ADAT into a MOTU interface if I read the manual correctly. I have no idea what the output on a PlayStation is.

I remember seeing optical–ADAT converters a long time ago but no longer remember who made them.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Drader
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Multi-Channel Using Optical In

Post by Drader »

Ahhhh, that makes sense. It's not easy finding information from Sony about it. I think I will just throw money at the problem and buy an HDMI audio extractor. In fact, I think Amazon just left one in front of my door, simply because I mentioned it. Thanks again for the information and I'm eager to see what new challenge I encounter. Thanks again for the answer.