Dolby Atmos with Fielder Audio plugin.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mrgkeys
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Dolby Atmos with Fielder Audio plugin.

Post by mrgkeys »

Hi all, anyone using the Fielder Audio Dolby Composer plugin with DP? I'm currently mixing in PT with regular ole Dolby Renderer but I have a boatload of older stereo projects in DP I'd love to to just open and stick one of these on each channel and remix. (like an an entire artists catalog worth) Just wondered if anyone has used it successfully and if DP spits it out or lets it pass in the AU exam.
mrgkeys

Re: Dolby Atmos with Fielder Audio plugin.

Post by mrgkeys »

replying to myself, it works like bonkers! I still render out to the Dolby Renderer (and will probably half to do a track of dedicated SMPTE to the renderer for that, but the panning and monitoring in binaural works great. I tried the 14 day trial, it's a good purchase for me for these old projects basically mixed with summing outs. Drop a BEAM plugin on each buss and pan away.
NashvilleJoe

Post by NashvilleJoe »

Hey there….. i was thinking about trying some Atmos implementation and saw your post….. any luck with the plug in- care to share your experiences???
MOTU user since 1988

Tree Roots 32 ch Console, StamChilds, Zenner, Pultecs, StaLevel, Neve racks, SSL, WesAudio & Stam racks, Burl Mothership, Barefoot MM27, AMS reverb, Mac Pro, UAD, Waves, Lexicon-
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

it works pretty well for me going back to old projects, then assembling in Atmos Album Assembler (also a paid app-these Dolby guys nickel and dime you.. ) It's strictly stereo bussing to the Renderer, so no using fancy 5.1/7.1.4 verbs like Tai Chi-or old school MOTU Proverb if you haven't used it in a decade like me. So if you wanna do Quad or 5.1 panning, you can't. But, I have all these old ITB projects that were basically 16 channel summing by 8 stereo busses and it works like a charm for those, maybe 2 hours tops to get a very very close Atmos mix to the old Stereo. If you wanna play a bit further in DP, you can basically set it up like the Luna setup video they did in the UAD forums and use the Dolby Music Panner and the Renderer, like you'd use in PT. The LTC generator plugin will not show up in DP but you can use a generated file like the in Luna video OR DP's SMPTE-Z plugin works great, I set mine to still frame and the output to -3db and the Renderer is non the wiser. (Note that the Fielder Dolby plugin doesn't require a LTC plugin.) I can do a couple cool Bed verbs that way and a Quad buss for the Top front and Rear surround )or mids if you're doing .6 instead of .4. DP can't make a 7.1.4 or any Atmos bed buss or output, yet :-) I'm using a UA X16 for the interface with a Twin Apollo as monitor control and for the binaural render. For some reason I like the Fielder binaural better, it seems to translate better in headphones. I get a great sense of the rear and top speakers with it. Also put the Fielder plugin Post Fader in the effects slots. I do that so that my old automation is still viable. It doesn't always translate to surround for proper levels but for rides on solos and vocals it gets most of it. DP makes this super easy compared to a lot of DAWs being able to move that little line for post fader plugins. Last but not least, I've found the Centerone plugin from Leapwig to be essential working with stems and busses of old masters. Of course it's still much much easier to do in PT, but I have a feeling that the next big update to DP will bring it up to par. Still a lot of fun if you wanna play. I can share my bundle export if anyone wants it. There's a lot of setup ;-) I'm sure there's plenty I'm doing wrong (I use a LOT of object beds sometimes) but there's not one preferred way of mixing in it.

note also, you can do not only 48k but 96k exports now, which is what I've been waiting for.

here's the Luna setup video, you just do the same thing in DP.

https://uadforum.com/community/index.ph ... una.63429/

https://elteesee.pehrhovey.net. the SMPTE .wav generator page.

https://www.leapwingaudio.com/product/centerone/

https://professional.dolby.com/product/ ... -renderer/

https://fiedler-audio.com/dolby-atmos-composer/
NashvilleJoe

Post by NashvilleJoe »

Wow - great and detailed response ……. Very interesting …… looking forward to tinkering around with it …..

I am sure I’ll be referring back into this post for a bit…..

Thanks again!!
MOTU user since 1988

Tree Roots 32 ch Console, StamChilds, Zenner, Pultecs, StaLevel, Neve racks, SSL, WesAudio & Stam racks, Burl Mothership, Barefoot MM27, AMS reverb, Mac Pro, UAD, Waves, Lexicon-
dix

Post by dix »

Here's a good video about using the Fiedler Atmos Composer - he uses FL Studio in this video, I think to demonstrate that any old DAW can work with it. He discusses some basic Atmos stuff that I found useful too, including working on headphones with binaural Atmos renders.

Dolby Atmos Composer - No-compromise Atmos production for every DAW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2IyLAwdesY&t=1807s
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dix

Post by dix »

mrgkeys wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:07 pm it works pretty well for me going back to old projects, then assembling in Atmos Album Assembler (also a paid app-these Dolby guys nickel and dime you.. ) It's strictly stereo bussing to the Renderer, so no using fancy 5.1/7.1.4 verbs like Tai Chi-or old school MOTU Proverb if you haven't used it in a decade like me. So if you wanna do Quad or 5.1 panning, you can't. But, I have all these old ITB projects that were basically 16 channel summing by 8 stereo busses and it works like a charm for those, maybe 2 hours tops to get a very very close Atmos mix to the old Stereo.

If you wanna play a bit further in DP, you can basically set it up like the Luna setup video they did in the UAD forums and use the Dolby Music Panner and the Renderer, like you'd use in PT. The LTC generator plugin will not show up in DP but you can use a generated file like the in Luna video OR DP's SMPTE-Z plugin works great, I set mine to still frame and the output to -3db and the Renderer is non the wiser. (Note that the Fielder Dolby plugin doesn't require a LTC plugin.)

I can do a couple cool Bed verbs that way and a Quad buss for the Top front and Rear surround )or mids if you're doing .6 instead of .4. DP can't make a 7.1.4 or any Atmos bed buss or output, yet :-) I'm using a UA X16 for the interface with a Twin Apollo as monitor control and for the binaural render. For some reason I like the Fielder binaural better, it seems to translate better in headphones. I get a great sense of the rear and top speakers with it.

Also put the Fielder plugin Post Fader in the effects slots. I do that so that my old automation is still viable. It doesn't always translate to surround for proper levels but for rides on solos and vocals it gets most of it. DP makes this super easy compared to a lot of DAWs being able to move that little line for post fader plugins.

Last but not least, I've found the Centerone plugin from Leapwig to be essential working with stems and busses of old masters. Of course it's still much much easier to do in PT, but I have a feeling that the next big update to DP will bring it up to par. Still a lot of fun if you wanna play.

I can share my bundle export if anyone wants it. There's a lot of setup ;-) I'm sure there's plenty I'm doing wrong (I use a LOT of object beds sometimes) but there's not one preferred way of mixing in it.

note also, you can do not only 48k but 96k exports now, which is what I've been waiting for.
Great post. Thank you, Mr Keys! I wouldn't mind checking out the bundle export. I'm still fuzzy on a few of the concepts in your post. Having a look at the bundle might clear things up....naturally, Fiedler provides templates for every DAW except DP :(

A couple questions. Are you working in a physical environment, or exclusively binaural? Why do you consider the Centerone plugin essential? - I haven't jumped into the Fiedler demo yet, why that plugin is essential might become obvious once I do.

I'm planning to keep my first Atmos project simple, by spacializing the mix stems of an existing album. That seems like a fairly doable thing within the timed demo window. I'm also wondering if I'll need an "Atmos Album Assembler". I'm thinking/hoping that too will become apparent once I get into it.

Thanks again for the info
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com