SSL UF1 DAW control surface…getting tired of this crap

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bralston
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

SSL UF1 DAW control surface…getting tired of this crap

Post by bralston »

So frustrating to see something that makes me drool and then upon further research, Digital Performer is not even a mention in the list of supported DAWs with dedicated profiles. Even when that list has one DAW I have never heard of.

And yes. I get it. DP supports MCU. Just tired of DP not being in that list.

https://westlakepro.com/product/ssl-uf1 ... 230ICuRKE
Dedicated HUI and MCU DAW Profiles for:
Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Studio One, Ableton Live, LUNA, Pyramix.
UF1 can switch to control the MASTER fader in MCU protocol DAWs.

Proprietary control of the SSL 360° Plug-in Mixer
Seamless integration with the SSL Meter plug-in (perpetual license included), with the metering plug-in visualized on the large 4.3” IPS display and control from the UF1 surface and SSL 360° Plug-in Mixer.
SSL Meter offers essential meter tools, including Peak & RMS levels, K-System, stereo balance, phase correlation bar, Lissajous phase scope, 31-band RTA, VU, and PPM metering.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: SSL UF1 DAW control surface…getting tired of this crap

Post by James Steele »

Yeah... I saw that hit the market a few days ago. Sad to say, I wasn't surprised when I saw that DP was not supported right out of the box. I wish I could say that I see that changing. I guess SSL didn't think it was worthwhile to build in support? Don't know if MOTU can obtain some kind of SDK from SSL and build there own. Would be nice to see DP integrate better with these third party control surfaces, etc. I'm still using an old Euphonix MC Mix and MC Control and I had several email exchanges with someone at MOTU and the support is greatly improved, but still lacking other DAWs. I could give examples, but probably not worth mentioning here.

I know that for some people integration with hardware like this has become a major factor in what DAW they choose to use. One YouTuber I follow went with Cubase/Nuendo just because support for the SSL hardware controllers was very good and it was well integrated. Increasingly, I see that being a factor as well as efficiency/performance of the audio engine and I know that, sadly, DP kinda falls down in both those areas compared to Cubase/Nuendo and Logic.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

I got a UF1 in today, just because my Eucons dont work in LUNA.. First glance is its built like a tank. Bigger than I thought. I have to say it works just fine in DP with the default Luna profile. Might try the Logic one later to see. I couldn't get it to work on the #2 DAW profile in the 360 software, (the way they would like you to set it up with multiple profiles for different DAWs) but it works just fine under the Luna profile I have set up on #1. Meter Plugin works great. Super fast and detailed. As far as I can tell, it just uses the old Mackie MIDI commands, so for the specific profiles you'll kinda have to play around to see what's different. The command it sends for Luna (or Logic) might be used differently under DP. There's an old document thats floating around with the DP specific MIDI commands that the Mackie Control used to send out, that might be useful. I'll poke around and see if I can find the config profiles...
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

its so close.. I really wish there was a way to modify DP's Mackie Control.. With the key macros though I've got 4 pages of commands mapped, Everything from RTZ to Click. Pans and sends plus mutes. Solo clears, track groups etc... the UF1 has an XML file but it's HUGE.. currently trying to decipher it but it looks like the old Mackie Commands are in encoded in base64? I make records not XML files..