Osmose expressive e and DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jim2b
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Osmose expressive e and DP

Post by jim2b »

Does anyone have experience setting this synth up to DP.

I can’t record MIDI from the Osmose into DP and hear the Osmose back .Everything else in the studio plays fine.

I can’t find a profile in the Audio/MIDI set up that handles an MPE device. It might have something to do with Bundles,
but I can’t figure it out.

I’m on DP version 11.1.

Thanks,

Jim
DP 11, High Sierra, Mid 2010 Mac Pro 3.33ghz, 32gb Ram
mikehalloran

Re: Osmose expressive e and DP

Post by mikehalloran »

The Osmose is a keyboard controller instrument from Expressive E that incorporates a custom version of the EaganMatrix sound engine synthesizer from the Haken Audio company.
It looks like there's a bit of a learning curve.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... art-guide/

According to this video, you need to program Sources and Destinations for the Osmose to generate sound.

the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGSubiBIC2o
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I feel like I waited decades for something like an Osmose to come out. I've long trumpeted the virtues of polyphonic AT-- based only on some fun experiences with the Ensoniq EPS and EPS 16+. Now that one is out and affordable, my gear "issues" have made it so I don't have room (or frankly, need) for one now.

Still quite glad to see it has made it out the door of Expressive E. Would love to hear your impressions, experiences.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
jim2b

Post by jim2b »

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the input.

I’ve made very good progress with this wonderful synth.

Once I hooked up the usb, it opened the door. DP provides two ports. The Osmose needs to be on port 2.

I also have MIDI in/out through an MTP AV.

I’ve tried it as a controller for Omnisphere and Dune(using ext.MIDI in the Osmose). It works great using the multi-channel setting in the Osmose.

I’ve opened up a host of possibilities.

I’ll post progress reports. This is truly a wonderful instrument.

Best,

Jim
DP 11, High Sierra, Mid 2010 Mac Pro 3.33ghz, 32gb Ram
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:14 pmI've long trumpeted the virtues of polyphonic AT-- based only on some fun experiences with the Ensoniq EPS and EPS 16+.
Hmmmm... can you elaborate on this just a little? I still have an EPS 16+ that I love. I wonder if my NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2 is capable of transmitting this. I have the rack module version of the EPS 16+. I still love that unit though!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The Ensoniq EPS 16 (and 16+) had special sensors under each key so that you could create aftertouch messages that include a note number (polyphonic aftertouch).

I mostly used it for pitch things, but it was nice to be able to do things like press a note for vibrato whilst holding other notes that were unaffected.

I doubt that the NI keyboard will produce polyAT. It's actually pretty rare, and you would have read about it in the features list.

Do you only have the rack version of the EPS 16+? If so, then it will respond to polyAT messages that you send from a DAW or other controller with polyAT. If you do have a keyboard version, you can find other soft synths that respond to polyAT. There's a few lists floating around out there. I think the U-he stuff is polyAT compatible.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:41 pm The Ensoniq EPS 16 (and 16+) had special sensors under each key so that you could create aftertouch messages that include a note number (polyphonic aftertouch).

I mostly used it for pitch things, but it was nice to be able to do things like press a note for vibrato whilst holding other notes that were unaffected.

I doubt that the NI keyboard will produce polyAT. It's actually pretty rare, and you would have read about it in the features list.

Do you only have the rack version of the EPS 16+? If so, then it will respond to polyAT messages that you send from a DAW or other controller with polyAT. If you do have a keyboard version, you can find other soft synths that respond to polyAT. There's a few lists floating around out there. I think the U-he stuff is polyAT compatible.
Thanks for the info. Yeah... I have to read up on the Komplete Kontrol keyboard, but you're probably correct that it doesn't include it. :(. UPDATE: Just checked. Outta luck on the KK S61 Mk2: supports "aftertouch (channel pressure)." Alas!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bjornln
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by bjornln »

If you are just looking for polyAT, you can use (for example):
Synclavier
Prophet T-8
ASM Hydra
Waldorf iridium keyboard
or any other synth that has 49-key FATAR TP/8SK keyboard should have the ability to send PolyAT

Best,
/B
Macmini M1 | Motu 828mk3 x 1 | 2 x Motu M64 & SSL XLogic Alpha-Link MADI AX | 2 x Motu MTP AV | OSX 12.6.x | DP 11.x | Mach5 3.x.x | 2xiLok | 2xUAD quad dsp card | Altiverb 7.x | SoundToys | Nomad factory | PSP | Arturia V-collection | Korg VI's |
and loads n' loads n' loads n' loads n' loads o' stuff.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

bjornln wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:00 am If you are just looking for polyAT, you can use (for example):
Synclavier
Prophet T-8
ASM Hydra
Waldorf iridium keyboard
or any other synth that has 49-key FATAR TP/8SK keyboard should have the ability to send PolyAT
It doesn't look like the Prophet T8 has polyAT.

Cool to see that the Iridium does, I didn't know that.

I think your statement about any synth with 49-key Fatar TP/8SK is untrue. It is possible that some keyboard manufacturer may have used that keybed and modified it for polyAT, but it doesn't come that way.

http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_8SK.htm

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

jim2b wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:15 am Does anyone have experience setting this synth up to DP.

I can’t record MIDI from the Osmose into DP and hear the Osmose back .Everything else in the studio plays fine.

I can’t find a profile in the Audio/MIDI set up that handles an MPE device. It might have something to do with Bundles,
but I can’t figure it out.

I’m on DP version 11.1.

Thanks,

Jim
Audio MIDI setup as long as the Osmosis can transmit on all 16 channels, it should be fine for NPE work. MPE is handled in terms of recording by the DAW, in the case of DP look into Open Protocol Settings in the Sequence editor for the track you want to record the Osmosis into. Sounds like you might have figured that out by now. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bjornln

Post by bjornln »

stubbsonic wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:40 pm
bjornln wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:00 am If you are just looking for polyAT, you can use (for example):
Synclavier
Prophet T-8
ASM Hydra
Waldorf iridium keyboard
It doesn't look like the Prophet T8 has polyAT.

Cool to see that the Iridium does, I didn't know that.

I think your statement about any synth with 49-key Fatar TP/8SK is untrue. It is possible that some keyboard manufacturer may have used that keybed and modified it for polyAT, but it doesn't come that way.

http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_8SK.htm
This is weird. My Synclavier VPK has the same keyboard as the prophet T8(as an synclavier add-on), and it has poly-AT. I have a friend that still uses his T8 as a master keyboard, just for the polyAT.
Stubbsonic, I looked at Fatar's homepage, and you are correct.
But..... As for the "49-key FATAR TP/8SK", it is what is, supposedly, in the iridium.
I may have been wrong in assuming that all "49-key FATAR TP/8SK" synths would have polyAT...
After some googling (ending up at gearspace)...
"I emailed with Fatar and they told me that the TP/8SK can mount both mono- and polyphonic aftertouch.
To be more precise:
TP/8S and TP/8SK are the same, except that only the TP/8SK can mount the polyphonic aftertouch.
"

/B

P.S
I was way off still.. it wasn't the 49-key version, it should be 61-key (don't know if i need glasses, or a few more fingers to count up to 61).
D.S
Macmini M1 | Motu 828mk3 x 1 | 2 x Motu M64 & SSL XLogic Alpha-Link MADI AX | 2 x Motu MTP AV | OSX 12.6.x | DP 11.x | Mach5 3.x.x | 2xiLok | 2xUAD quad dsp card | Altiverb 7.x | SoundToys | Nomad factory | PSP | Arturia V-collection | Korg VI's |
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

bjornln wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:28 am This is weird. My Synclavier VPK has the same keyboard as the prophet T8(as an synclavier add-on), and it has poly-AT. I have a friend that still uses his T8 as a master keyboard, just for the polyAT.
I wonder if Fatar manufactures the polyphonic AT components or if that comes from elsewhere. Given how rare polyAT is, it seems like the latter is likely.

bjornln

Post by bjornln »

I think we will see an upswing.. I mean with MIDI 2.0 and MPE and more and more expressive synths and sample libraries. I think there is a development in that direction.
stubbsonic wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:03 am I wonder if Fatar manufactures the polyphonic AT components or if that comes from elsewhere. Given how rare polyAT is, it seems like the latter is likely.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

When I think about ALL the features that were in MIDI 1.0 that were rarely implemented by manufacturers & software developers: Polyphonic AT, release velocity, 14-bit CC, 14-bit NRPN, etc. I'm not confident we'll see a lot of motion on MIDI 2.0 features. I sincerely hope to be proven wrong!!

There's a humble little iOS DAW called Multitrack Studio that is jumping right in with MIDI 2.0 implementation.

jackvr

Post by jackvr »

Hello, I have Osmose, Mac OS 12.6.7. DP11. I am missing something on setup. I can get MIDI to work fine but MPE is not working or working badly. I am trying to use UVI solo instruments. Anyone seen a full top to bottom recipe for setup? I've using the External MIDI, set to MPE on the Osmose. DP has instrument track and mid track linked and it plays fine in MIDI but changing to MPE in the UVI setup it does not play. Meters still show action, and it records but no live sound. When it plays back it plays some of the notes. So somehow having a problem getting all the MPE MIDI channels to connect the right way. Have Multi Record on in DP. AudioMidi setup involved? Anyone have some clues? Sorry if I'm mission something obvious. I am pretty good with the tech, but have run up against the wall this time. Appreciate any help.