UVI Workstation

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: UVI Workstation

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:40 am Ahhh that’s interesting… so you have to have a MachFive3 license on your iLok to open those images? Interesting. I almost removed that license. Glad I didn’t! I bet MOTU could probably help you out with another license so you don’t have to move your older ilok around. I have a Gen 2.
The updated libraries opened fine in Falcon stand alone except the MOTU Instruments (Incorrect Host error).

I have a Gen 3 iLok. For kicks, I removed the MachFive 3 license and tried again—didn't like that at all so I put it back and all was well.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:45 pmThe updated libraries opened fine in Falcon stand alone except the MOTU Instruments (Incorrect Host error).
No problem opening MOTU Instruments on Falcon standalone here. I assume you have the iLok license for "MOTU Instruments?" It's available by request from MOTU. I didn't see it on my iLok at first, because the publisher listed as "UVI" not "Mark of the Unicorn."

Also, AFAICT, "MOTU Instruments.ufs" is the same content as the older "Universal Loops and Instruments.ufs" that it replaced.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:08 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:45 pmThe updated libraries opened fine in Falcon stand alone except the MOTU Instruments (Incorrect Host error).
No problem opening MOTU Instruments on Falcon standalone here. I assume you have the iLok license for "MOTU Instruments?" It's available by request from MOTU. I didn't see it on my iLok at first, because the publisher listed as "UVI" not "Mark of the Unicorn."

Also, AFAICT, "MOTU Instruments.ufs" is the same content as the older "Universal Loops and Instruments.ufs" that it replaced.
Thanks. Found the problem:

The build that I had installed was dated January 10, 2019. The one in Downloads is June 14, 2019. That one opened correctly.

This leaves another that I suspect might not be an error. I'm guessing that MOTU Instruments Lite.ufs can only be opened from within Performer Lite and DP (I can access it when I open PL projects in DP.) and not Falcon or UVI stand alone. I'll send in a TechLink and ask. Unlike MOTU Instruments.ufs, it does not require an iLok. Likewise, the chances that I would ecer want to do so are about zero.
Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 4.38.17 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 4.38.17 PM.png (47.96 KiB) Viewed 5828 times
Last edited by mikehalloran on Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:52 pmI'm guessing that MOTU Instruments Lite.ufs can only be opened from within Performer Lite and DP (I can access it when I open PL projects in DP.) and not Falcon or UVI stand alone. I'll send in a TechLink and ask. Unlike MOTU Instruments.ufs, it does not require an iLok.
That would make total sense the that the "Lite" version would be crippled to only work in Performer Lite and DP. Especially since it doesn't require an iLok. I imagine relatively new users that would use Performer Lite would be prone to passing it around and sharing it if it didn't have limitations on it.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:58 am • Mark79.ufs - (one interesting note: file size of old version was 3.43GB. This one is 7.44GB. I do not know why. Seems to sound the same.)
I asked here whether there is any point in getting these new files on a system still using macOS 10.14, but there was no answer. So I asked Matt at MOTU and he said there is no need with 10.14, but at 10.15 there appears to be some advantage. After that you need the new libraries to make them work properly with Falcon/UVI.

I also noticed that the Mark79 almost doubled in size. Matt suggested that this might be a result of consolidation of disk images from when the maximum size was the same as a regular DVD. But checking back to my original files and downloads, Mark79 was not one of those files that came in two ufs image. I’ve asked Matt why this might be but haven’t heard back.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:21 pmSo I asked Matt at MOTU and he said there is no need with 10.14, but at 10.15 there appears to be some advantage. After that you need the new libraries to make them work properly with Falcon/UVI.
From what I understand, you'd want to download them to "future proof" them, because at some point when you update to an Apple Silicon Mac, those .ufs images will not open in Falcon or UVI Workstation (you will get a missing license error) unless you are running DP in Rosetta. So I would download one of the small ones, and verify that it works fine on Intel first and then carry on. Otherwise, when the day comes you get an Apple Silicon Mac you will need to do it anyway.

I also noticed that the Mark79 almost doubled in size. Matt suggested that this might be a result of consolidation of disk images from when the maximum size was the same as a regular DVD. But checking back to my original files and downloads, Mark79 was not one of those files that came in two ufs image. I’ve asked Matt why this might be but haven’t heard back.
Yep. It's a puzzler. Ethno, which previously had two volumes, "Ethno.ufs" and "Ethno.ufs1" (if I recall the names correctly) was indeed consolidated into one volume which was about double the size. But you are right. Mark79 was just one volume and for some reason it blew up in size. At the time, I checked that it worked and just shrugged and moved on. :D

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:42 pm At the time, I checked that it worked and just shrugged and moved on. :D
Some of us remember when a Mac had a 1G internal drive and having 4G extra on it was a big deal. But you’re right — so what? I just want to make sure that there is nothing wrong with the file given that there is clearly something odd about it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
DrewFromKC

Post by DrewFromKC »

I've been following this thread trying to get my old UVI soundbanks mounted to the newest version of UVI Workstation. I was able to get licenses for my old Plugsound Pro and Xteme FX soundbanks I bought from UVI years ago by providing serial numbers to those products on their website recently. I own MachFive 2 but never upgraded to MachFive 3 when it was still compatible with older Macs. Does this mean I cannot access my old MachFive 2 .ufs soundbanks in the UVI Workstation without upgrading to MachFive 3? (which seems silly since that software is currently incompatible with AS Macs and I would only be upgrading for access to the MachFive 3 soundbank libraries). Any thoughts?
Macbook M2 Pro, DP 11.3, MOTU 828mkII FW, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite QUAD, M-Audio Axiom 49, VI's and plugins.