UVI Workstation

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

UVI Workstation

Post by cuttime »

Just a heads up if you made assumptions like me: I assumed UVI Workstation was Apple Silicon Native because it came bundled with DP. Not so. The original version with DP was 3.0.5. The UVI site was not terribly clear if the latest version was for AS or not. The latest version is 3.1.11, and I'm happy to report that it is now Universal.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
greg328

Re: UVI Workstation

Post by greg328 »

Good to know thank u

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sayatnova »

Thank you for the head's-up, just updated!
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:19 pm Just a heads up if you made assumptions like me: I assumed UVI Workstation was Apple Silicon Native because it came bundled with DP. Not so. The original version with DP was 3.0.5. The UVI site was not terribly clear if the latest version was for AS or not. The latest version is 3.1.11, and I'm happy to report that it is now Universal.
UVI Workstation, to my knowledge, has been Apple Silicon native for a while now. UVI Workstation 3.0.25 was the last version that did not contain Apple Silicon code and actually I intentionally run the AU version of this expressly because it will open in Rosetta and then I can open older UVI library volumes that are iLok protected that will not open when UVI Workstation is running natively.

So any version of UVI Workstation AFTER 3.0.25 was UB2 (Universal Binary 2) and runs natively on Apple Silicon.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
ronjams

Post by ronjams »

I just want to be clear are you saying that I can now use the latest version of the UVI software to play back old mock five libraries without being stuck at the 3.025 version of the software?
Mac Studio M1 Max DIGITAL PERFORMER1248/8pre ESFalcon/kontakt/Unify & A LOT MORE GEAR
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

ronjams wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:15 am I just want to be clear are you saying that I can now use the latest version of the UVI software to play back old mock five libraries without being stuck at the 3.025 version of the software?
Oh no. Not saying that at all. AFAIK, you must use the 3.025 version of UVI Workstation to use the older Mach Five libraries that are on iLok protected .ufs volumes, because it is the last version that does NOT have Apple Silicon code, and thus DP must open it with Rosetta which is WHY it CAN open the older Mach Five libraries.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
VitcoMusic

Post by VitcoMusic »

James is correct. An earlier version of UVI Workstation is the only plug-in I run in Rosetta mode so I can open Mach Five libraries. I still owe James a beer for this for figuring it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra 64gb; Motif 8; Novation Summit, Yamaha MOXF6, Mach Five Three; Altiverb, UVI Stuff, Acoustic Legends; Plugsound Pro; Fender Strat; Stylus, Omnisphere 2.8, Trillian
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

FYI this was supposedly fixed in updates to the M53 libraries.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm not sure exactly what was fixed and what wasn't and what libraries. If I have time I may try an make an exhaustive guide to this.

I do know that MOTU released a MOTU Instruments .UFS volume that was a repackaging of the Universal Loops and Instruments.ufs library. And the iLok license for MOTU Instruments works in Falcon without Rosetta.

I did see also that MOTU has a page on their site for Symphonic Instrument where you can download the UFS volume to use it in Falcon or UVI Workstation.

https://motu.com/en-us/download/#category=6&product=130

They will send you a new iLok license for that. I wrote customer service and requested it. I do have an "MSI.ufs" already, but it's from 2012, so I think that's old. I downloaded the newer one and waiting on MOTU to get back to me with a new iLok license. It remains to be seen if that will open with Falcon or UVI Workstation running in Apple Silicon native mode.

Also I have lots of these old libraries including Ethno, etc. and they will open in 3.0.25 or earlier of UVI Workstation (which forces Rosetta). I have not tried re-downloading some of the MOTU MachFive libraries, because the pages on their site refer to 64 bit as the updated feature and nothing about Apple Silicon. So I think the "missing license" issue still applies. If you open these libraries in Falcon or UVI Workstation that is not running in Rosetta, you will get the missing license error when you attempt to mount the UFS volume in the plugin.

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:12 pm I have not tried re-downloading some of the MOTU MachFive libraries, because the pages on their site refer to 64 bit as the updated feature and nothing about Apple Silicon. So I think the "missing license" issue still applies. If you open these libraries in Falcon or UVI Workstation that is not running in Rosetta, you will get the missing license error when you attempt to mount the UFS volume in the plugin.
Yeah it's MOTU being typically super vague. The page doesn't say anything at all about the libraries, and there's no version history to be had.
It's just links as "additional resources" at the bottom of this page.
https://motu.com/en-us/download/#category=6&product=274

Here's the gist though. A couple months ago Matt LaPoint from MOTU on one of the webinars told us the libraries had been updated, so now the iLok licenses work etc. You have to re download them.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote:Here's the gist though. A couple months ago Matt LaPoint from MOTU on one of the webinars told us the libraries had been updated, so now the iLok licenses work etc. You have to re download them.
I’ll give that a shot with the ones that are available. You’d think perhaps that would be information that should be a bit more widely disseminated?

I’ll give it a shot and download some of them and see. However I don’t think certain libraries like Ethno have been made available, have they? I’ll have to go through all my .ufs volumes and see which ones can open without Rosetta and which cannot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks, James for trying to un tangle this. There are some good and usable sounds in those old libraries and it would be good to have a definitive word on whether they can be opened from within Falcon or the newer UVI Workstation.

FWIW: I keep an old MacBook Air running High Sierra around to run MachFive 3 when I want to use it to import files from my collection of sample CD-ROMs (it reads the CDs and enables you to save patches as .M5p files, which open in Falcon or UVI Workstation). MF3 was a great "can opener" for all kinds of content (Akai, Kurzweil, et al) and, with this antique, I can still get at my old sample CD-ROMs. I'm not aware of any other way of importing this content in a way that Falcon can read it.
Last edited by Rick Cornish on Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Not going to test any of this on my wife’s M1 Air but it is something to look forward to (???) when I get my own AS machine.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:35 am Thanks, James for trying to un tangle this. There are some good and usable sounds in those old libraries and it would be good to have a definitive word on whether they can be opened from within Falcon or the newer UVI Workstation.
Going to do some experimenting today. One thing to note—and it's probably obvious—is make sure to test this running the plugin version of Falcon or UVI Workstation. As I recall, the standalone app version of those has no problem opening the older versions for some reason.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:35 amFWIW: I keep an old MacBook Air running High Sierra around to run MachFive 3 when I want to use it to import files from my collection of sample CD-ROMs (it reads the CDs and enables you to save them as .ifs files). MF3 was a great "can opener" for all kinds of content (Akai, Kurzweil, et al) and, with this antique, I can still get at my old sample CD-ROMs. I'm not aware of any other way of importing this content in a way that Falcon can read it.
That's a great idea. I have an old iBook G4 that I'm using to screenshare on my Mac Studio that has the last release of UniSyn on it. I should try to install MachFive standalone on it and see if it can run it. Don't remember the OS that's currently on that machine, but it's old. Worst comes to worst, I think I have a newer (old) iBook that is Intel and running Yosemite that I might make into my Unisyn/MachFive machine.