ADPTR Metric AB—Doesn’t (fully) work with DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

ADPTR Metric AB—Doesn’t (fully) work with DP

Post by Rick Cornish »

Been going back and forth with support at Plugin Alliance. Apparently, Metric AB (a nice plugin that enables you to compare a session with reference tracks), does not fully work with DP. It does work to listen to the reference tracks and switch back and forth with a DP project, but the best features (spectrum analysis, loudness, correlation, stereo image) do not work. I can only get them to work on audio files that are 16-bit and not with my DP projects.

Does anyone know of a similar plugin that works with DP?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
sonus

Re: ADPTR Metric AB—Doesn’t (fully) work with DP

Post by sonus »

Works fine here within DP 11.22 with both our Mac Pro on 10.13.6 and Mac Studio Ultra on 12.6.6.
We use AU as primary format. Great plug, by the way!
MacPro 5.1 2x3.46 twelve core, 64Gig, OSX 10.15, Mac Studio Max 32Gig, DP11.13, RME HDSPe FX, Softube Console 1 & Fader, UAD-2 quad, Soundtoys v5, UVI Falcon 3.0, GForce Mellotron & String Machine , Waves Rennaissance...
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sayatnova »

I know they were running a beta testing for the ARM version a short while ago. Is that all finalised, now?
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

sonus wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:00 pm Works fine here within DP 11.22 with both our Mac Pro on 10.13.6 and Mac Studio Ultra on 12.6.6.
OK—that's curious. Please confirm: Can you click on the Spectrum, Correlation, Stereo Image, Loudness, and Dynamics tabs and get a comparison of BOTH your DP sequence and the imported reference track?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
ronjams

Post by ronjams »

Listen, I’ve had no problem using these plug-ins. The adapter plug-in works perfectly. I am able to use every aspect of it and I am on the Apple Silicon M1 studio machine. I am confirming that everything works.
Mac Studio M1 Max DIGITAL PERFORMER1248/8pre ESFalcon/kontakt/Unify & A LOT MORE GEAR
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

ronjams wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:35 am Listen, I’ve had no problem using these plug-ins. The adapter plug-in works perfectly. I am able to use every aspect of it and I am on the Apple Silicon M1 studio machine. I am confirming that everything works.
Thank you, ronjams—most appreciated!

To help me narrown down my problems, can you please let me know…
  • What *format* are the ref tracks you're importing into Metric AB (Wave, AIFF, MP3) and what bit rate (44.1, 48k, etc.) are they at?
  • What *sample rate* are you running your DP projects at (44.1kHz, 48kHz, 96kHz)?
I've seen these things make some difference for me. Thanks!
Rick Cornish

sonus

Post by sonus »

Rick Cornish wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:56 am
sonus wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:00 pm Works fine here within DP 11.22 with both our Mac Pro on 10.13.6 and Mac Studio Ultra on 12.6.6.
OK—that's curious. Please confirm: Can you click on the Spectrum, Correlation, Stereo Image, Loudness, and Dynamics tabs and get a comparison of BOTH your DP sequence and the imported reference track?
Yes to all, everything works as expected. It's been more than 2 years since I use the metric AB and i've had zero problems so far. Projects are either 44.1 or 48kHz and the reference files are mostly wavs but I've sometimes used mp3s as well. Have you tried to re-install the plugin?
MacPro 5.1 2x3.46 twelve core, 64Gig, OSX 10.15, Mac Studio Max 32Gig, DP11.13, RME HDSPe FX, Softube Console 1 & Fader, UAD-2 quad, Soundtoys v5, UVI Falcon 3.0, GForce Mellotron & String Machine , Waves Rennaissance...
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

sonus wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:54 pm Yes to all, everything works as expected. It's been more than 2 years since I use the metric AB and i've had zero problems so far. Projects are either 44.1 or 48kHz and the reference files are mostly wavs but I've sometimes used mp3s as well. Have you tried to re-install the plugin?
Thanks for the reply.

I'm up to my eyeballs getting ready for a big band concert at the International Trumpet Guild convention. (Some hairy parts to learn.) I'll try re-installing next week when I'm back in the DP saddle.
Rick Cornish

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just an update. Looks like Plugin Alliance has version 1.4 of MetricAB out today:

JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

James Steele wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:57 pm Just an update. Looks like Plugin Alliance has version 1.4 of MetricAB out today:
Thanks, James. Just installed, but will have to test tomorrow. (fingers crossed)
Rick Cornish

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:03 pm
James Steele wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:57 pm Just an update. Looks like Plugin Alliance has version 1.4 of MetricAB out today:
Thanks, James. Just installed, but will have to test tomorrow. (fingers crossed)
Good luck!!

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sayatnova »

Nice! I have been waiting of this update, as well. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the heads-up, James.
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Well… after working with it for a bit today, I'm pleased to report Metric AB now seems to fully work with DP.

I was able to import 24-bit AIFF reference files at 44.1kHz into a 48k DP project and the plugin worked just fine and gave me comparisons in all modes with all tracks.

Thanks, James for letting me know about this update! :woohoo:
Rick Cornish

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:13 pm Well… after working with it for a bit today, I'm pleased to report Metric AB now seems to fully work with DP.

I was able to import 24-bit AIFF reference files at 44.1kHz into a 48k DP project and the plugin worked just fine and gave me comparisons in all modes with all tracks.

Thanks, James for letting me know about this update! :woohoo:
No worries! I really need to start using this plug! Problem is I need to find some of my CDs that I want to use. For my kind of music, AC/DC Back in Black was a quintessential example of mixing heavy rock... but I don't want to use MP3 files so gotta dig around for at least 44.1/16bit version of that and other material. Geez...might have to go find a "record store". Plus I don't have an optical drive for my Mac Studio... will have to rip it on my Mac Pro and file transfer over the network.

(Deciding if I really need an external CD/DVD/BluRay burner for my Mac Studio)