MIDI Blinking Light Metronome

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
MacDog172
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI Blinking Light Metronome

Post by MacDog172 »

Is there a product out there that will receive the tempo info from a DP file and blink a light in tempo (visible metronome) for musicians to follow rather than an audible click?
Thanks...macdog172
cuttime

Re: MIDI Blinking Light Metronome

Post by cuttime »

Perhaps MIDIBlinker will do the trick?

https://www.larrymtaylor.com/software.php
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Didn't DP at one time have this built in? It might have been all the way back in the Performer days. Seems like this should be something they should consider putting back in. I can't imagine it would be that difficult to program.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:54 am Didn't DP at one time have this built in? It might have been all the way back in the Performer days. Seems like this should be something they should consider putting back in. I can't imagine it would be that difficult to program.
You mean punches and flutters, etc? You can set the metronome to output visual punches to a Movie window. You'll probably want a long blank movie. I don't think it works unless there is a movie loaded.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

No... I don't mean the film scoring features. But I am reaching WAY back to prehistoric times when Performer was running on Mac Pluses and Mac SEs. I vaguely recall there was a little window you could open up called "Flash" or something and it was simply a rectangle with one side black and the other side white and they would alternate on the beat? It was a visual metronome, essentially. There's a chance I might have this confused with a feature in Vision, but for some reason I was thinking this was in Performer. Yeah... LOL... we're talking around FOUR DECADES ago! :lol:

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Look up Visual Punches in the DP Manual, illustration 25-1 — see if that gives you what you are looking for.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 2.30.06 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 2.30.06 PM.png (1.42 MiB) Viewed 1238 times
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

It looks like those options either require some sort of external hardware or are for overlaying onto a QuickTime movie when bouncing it from DP. I think the OP is looking for a solution that will show a visual pulse on the screen that's in time with the tempo. Perhaps there might be some sort of light that flashes with audio input and you could route the metronome audio to it?

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Here's something that I found. It's an expired listing on Reverb for something called the Photuris Click Light.

https://reverb.com/item/2197721-photuri ... tracks-etc

Seems like a good solution, but I couldn't find a website. But they do have a shop on Reverb and it looks like a one man (Jim?) operation that makes custom gadgets. Here's a link to that and you could try sending a message to see if he's the guy who builds these and could sell you one.

https://reverb.com/shop/shop-803

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:15 pm It looks like those options either require some sort of external hardware or are for overlaying onto a QuickTime movie when bouncing it from DP.
Yes, it just makes flashing circles in the movie window. But you need a movie open in the DP Movie window. No external hardware is required.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

James Steele wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:00 pm ... But I am reaching WAY back to prehistoric times when Performer was running on Mac Pluses and Mac SEs. I vaguely recall there was a little window you could open up called "Flash" or something and it was simply a rectangle with one side black and the other side white and they would alternate on the beat? It was a visual metronome, essentially. There's a chance I might have this confused with a feature in Vision, but for some reason I was thinking this was in Performer. Yeah... LOL... we're talking around FOUR DECADES ago! :lol:
When I first saw this first post, I pictured that rectangle going from side to side that James described and went looking for it in DP. Couldn't find it. I suppose it is possible I'm remembering it from some other sequencer, but then James kind of made me think I might be remembering it correctly. And "flash" also sounds kinda familiar. But I was also thinking it may have been an option within the "bigger counter".
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I think it was in Performer and at some point many years ago MOTU removed it from the app. It may not have even made the leap from Performer to Digital Performer.

MacDog172

Post by MacDog172 »

Thank you Mike and James! I can always count on you guys for timely, helpful info. Using "Punches" is going to do the job! I had no idea DP had that feature. I create an .MOV file which is totally black screen for the length of the song. Open in DP and dedicate a monitor screen for the .MOV and make the pulsating circles huge. Turn it towards the drummer and "BOOM"! No more cow bell click drilling his eardrums! He is going to be very grateful. His tinnitis was getting so bad that the audio click was killing his hearing and he was going to have to give up recording. This is a Godsend for sure. Thank you so very much....macdog172
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

"DP Saves Lives"... film at 11.

Great news!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MacDog172 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:51 pm Thank you Mike and James! I can always count on you guys for timely, helpful info. Using "Punches" is going to do the job! I had no idea DP had that feature. I create an .MOV file which is totally black screen for the length of the song. Open in DP and dedicate a monitor screen for the .MOV and make the pulsating circles huge. Turn it towards the drummer and "BOOM"! No more cow bell click drilling his eardrums! He is going to be very grateful. His tinnitis was getting so bad that the audio click was killing his hearing and he was going to have to give up recording. This is a Godsend for sure. Thank you so very much....macdog172
That's a good workaround, but seems like might be a good idea for MOTU to bring back a visual metronome of some type. I will definitely write to them and suggest it. Honestly, it doesn't seem like it would be a very complicated feature to implement.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It would be cute if the counter window could be zoomed so hard that you could have a 12" x 4" colon flashing the beats.

M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com