Articulation Maps Help?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Articulation Maps Help?

Post by cuttime »

I've been struggling with DP's articulation maps from the beginning. I've had various degrees of success, and saw David Das' video many times. I've been trying to set up an articulation map for Nashville Scoring Strings because they don't have keyswitches, and dealing with articulations is really awkward. Through a lot of trial and error I finally came up with an approach that seems to work if, and only if, DP is in Multi Record mode and the track input is set to "DP input-any". Pictured here is a trial setup. My question is "Why don't my articulation symbols show up in QuickScribe?" Especially when other articulation maps I've imported from other sources function as expected? Any clues?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 4.46.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 4.46.07 PM.png (222.58 KiB) Viewed 899 times
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
cuttime

Re: Articulation Maps Help?

Post by cuttime »

FWIW, I think I figured it out: The AMs I imported from other sources are for keyswitched articulations: different articulations on the same channel. What I have here is one articulation per channel. If anyone knows a better way, please chime in. Does it really have to be this hard? I guess this is why third party AM vendors are in business.
svobodomo

Post by svobodomo »

Hey, First of all there is Remote for each channel..but it is like MIDI In for keyswitching the articulation...I think you misunderstood the function of Remote...or you have some knobs or button on your MIDI keyboard to define the Channel/Articulation but it is kind od unpractical do it with channel remote. What plugin do you use? Kontakt or Vienna Ensemble with Kontakt? For ex. I can use my keyboard knobs to send certain MIDI message to switching all kind or articulations no matter what difficult the routing is..I can have even separate articulations in one track simuteniously...
Attachments
Snímek obrazovky 2023-05-26 v 13.51.39.png
Snímek obrazovky 2023-05-26 v 13.51.39.png (60.35 KiB) Viewed 781 times
Snímek obrazovky 2023-05-26 v 13.58.40.png
Snímek obrazovky 2023-05-26 v 13.58.40.png (79.59 KiB) Viewed 777 times
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Thank you for the reply. I am using Kontakt, one articulation per channel, either in a multi or separate instance situation. I am not using any remote triggers, but rather am using the articulation lanes. I really don't completely understand the setup, and the manual is very terse in its explanations. The setup image that I posted is simply the one that I was able to get to work from a lot of trial and error.
60s Pop Man

Post by 60s Pop Man »

Disclaimer: I don't have NSS, but the script option (as demonstrated in the linked video) works perfectly here with the older Session Strings and a DP articulation map. Articulation symbols do appear in QS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD7S9IRybb4
M1 Mac mini 1TB/16GB, macOS 13.4.1, DP11.22, audiofront MIDI Expression iO, MOTU M2&M4, UAD Apollo
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

you can definitely use the articulation manager. Turn off all the remotes for now to avoid confusion. Those remotes are designed to listen to your playing as you are recording a track and whenever it detects you are playing one of the defined remotes...instead of actually recording that particular MIDI event, it will set the state of the track to that articulation and then subsequent notes will be encoded with that articulation "id". It has nothing to do with the output key switches or channelizing which are sent to Kontakt.

Then in your OUTPUT section of the articulation manager is where you define how to handle each of the defined articulations. There you will specify a channel to output on.

That's it, then each articulation will end up sent to a different output channel, per however you have it defined.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32