What MacBook Pro should we buy?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

What MacBook Pro should we buy?

Post by philbrown »

We're thinking of changing our live rig to Mac-based. My wife has played a bunch of keyboard basses and we're now thinking of moving to a plug-in based system, and we're already going to be using drum backing tracks as well.
I'd like to have Trillian and several other possibly CPU-hog plug-ins all instantiated and ready to go, to combine bass sounds and other various keyboard parts.
I'm looking at the new 16" MacPro's and am not sure how much RAM is needed with these new machines. I'm thinking a 512 SSD might be enough...
We don't need the top of the line $3500 one, but not sure what configuration would be enough and not too much overkill.

I welcome your input, oh wise ones.
Phil
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
HCMarkus

Re: What MacBook Pro should we buy?

Post by HCMarkus »

Hi Phil. Here's my real-world experience:

I run a 16GB, 1TB M1 MacBook Air with MainStage for my live rig. I run a single MainStage Concert with lots of patches due to demands of my day gig, mostly brief segments of a variety of tunes in unpredictable order, so I have to keep a lot of variety on hand for quick access. On board are some one-shot samples, but no tracks. MainStage Rhodes, Wurli, B3/Leslie, some strings, a synth pad and some leads. Kontakt provides Grand and Upright pianos, Guitar emulations and other strings. Omnisphere provides pads and leads. Arturia DX7 provides BC Brass, Electro Organ and DX7 Bass and EP. MODO Bass provides Electric Bass emulations.

All of that and more lives within 16GB, but I am pushing the RAM. The 1TB HD seems fine for this application. You can always add external storage if necessary, but I'd spring for as much RAM as you can afford. I'm running a buffer of 128 IIRC. The Mac works at 64, too, but I like to leave a little more CPU headroom and 128 doesn't bug me. But I'm VIs only, no pass-thru audio.

Control is via USB, Yamaha S90ES (also provides backup piano in the event of a computer crash), Roland A-500 (all the knobs, buttons and sliders I need), a TeControl Breath Controller, and two Yamaha FC7 Expression Pedals and an FC4A Sustain Pedal connected via an AudioFront MIDI Expression Quattro https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

My basic bread and butter patch has the two acoustic pianos, Rhodes and Wurli, a synth pad and a string pad, B3/Leslie, and Breath Controlled Brass all available at once, with individual volume control and on/off from the A-500.

The Air has never crashed during a gig or rehearsal. It HAS crashed when programming various AU VIs, but once things are set up, it has been flawless.

PS: DO NOT FORGET THE UMBRELLA for outdoor shows. Keep your Mac out of the sun!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:48 pm Hi Phil. Here's my real-world experience:

I run a 16GB, 1TB M1 MacBook Air
My wife has one also but we've never used it in a live rig. Great machine and I've pushed a lot harder than I ever thought I could. Absolutely rock solid & reliable.

I intend to buy an M2 Air in the near future. It has a MagSafe power connector (like my 2012 MBP) instead of USB-C. With my handicap, I didn't know this was important till I spent some time with the M1.
PS: DO NOT FORGET THE UMBRELLA for outdoor shows. Keep your Mac out of the sun!
Oh yes!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Thanks a bunch, guys. Good info! Nice to know the Air is well-thought of.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce