MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid - Kernel Panics

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Zeno
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid - Kernel Panics

Post by Zeno »

Hello -

Experiencing frequent kernel panics, typically overnight when system is left on but not in use.
Next morning find the computer has restarted itself, with error report listing MOTUFireWireAudio.kext as likely culprit.

This occurs whether or not any DAW is running. I have tried connecting the MOTU differently -- via USB directly to the Mac (well, via Apple adapter), or to either of the two USB hubs (one is a USB 3.0 hub; the other is a USB 2.0 hub). Same issue.

System: MacBook Pro M1 Max, 64GB RAM, OS Ventura with latest updates.
Problem also occurred on previous operating system.

Any advice on how to rectify?
Thank you.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid - Kernel Panics

Post by mikehalloran »

Finder/Find is useless here.

Download and use Find Any File to locate MOTUFireWireAudio.kext holding the Option key so that you are also searching the Root directory.
http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

The modification date should read 9/27/21 if using the latest MOTU drivers for your unit. Remove any version that's older. If there's a build that cannot be deleted, you will need to disable SIP first.

This is the latest driver
MOTU Audio Installer
Mac v89555 | 13. October 2021
macOS 13, macOS 12, macOS 11
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

Thank you for the suggestion.

Actually, I use the Finder search for this as well. Use the "+" option to add search parameters in the Finder search window, and choose from the popups that System files are included.

Yes, I have that latest version of the MOTU driver.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Zeno wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:52 pm Thank you for the suggestion.

Actually, I use the Finder search for this as well. Use the "+" option to add search parameters in the Finder search window, and choose from the popups that System files are included.

Yes, I have that latest version of the MOTU driver.
I suggest that you use a better search tool to find if you still have older versions and I've told you how using the Option key lets you search the Root.
Finder/Find is useless here.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

Thank you again. Per your advice, I now tried the software you recommended and it is finding the same version.
It finds 3 copies, all the same version, in different locations:

System:Library:Extensions
System:Library:StagedExtensions:Library:Extensions
System:private:var:db:KernelExtensionManagement:AuxKC:CurrentAuxKC:StashedExtensions...

I assume the latter two are temp cached versions. They are also the same latest version.

Should I perhaps try deleting those additional versions?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Zeno wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:16 pm Thank you again. Per your advice, I now tried the software you recommended and it is finding the same version.
It finds 3 copies, all the same version, in different locations:

System:Library:Extensions
System:Library:StagedExtensions:Library:Extensions
System:private:var:db:KernelExtensionManagement:AuxKC:CurrentAuxKC:StashedExtensions...

I assume the latter two are temp cached versions. They are also the same latest version.

Should I perhaps try deleting those additional versions?
They’re in the same three locations as on my iMac Pro. Too bad, finding an older version lurking about would have been an easy fix.

I would delete all three and reinstall the drivers but I’m not expecting that to fix anything.

There should be a crash report. I would find that and send it to MOTU in a Tech Link.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

mikehalloran wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:38 pm

I would delete all three and reinstall the drivers but I’m not expecting that to fix anything.

There should be a crash report. I would find that and send it to MOTU in a Tech Link.
Good idea. I was able to delete two of them, but could find no way to delete the one in the long StashedExtensions path. Tried booting in Safe Mode and still no go. Any ideas on how to delete it?

Thanks again....
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Zeno wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:32 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:38 pm

Good idea. I was able to delete two of them, but could find no way to delete the one in the long StashedExtensions path. Tried booting in Safe Mode and still no go. Any ideas on how to delete it?

Thanks again....
You may need to disable SIP first.

https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... protection

Enable it when you're done.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Zeno wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:13 am Hello -

Experiencing frequent kernel panics, typically overnight when system is left on but not in use.

Any advice on how to rectify?
Shut down before bedtime.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Zeno wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:32 pm...but could find no way to delete the one in the long StashedExtensions path.
I recall having to do that not long ago to get rid of the residual extension from a utility called DriveDX.

Ultimately, the only way I was able to delete that file was by booting in Recovery Mode and then delete it using Terminal.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

HCMarkus wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:16 pm Shut down before bedtime.
Thank you for the suggestion...However:

(1) problem happens during day when away from computer as well even for shorter times
(2) my work approach is best when leaving computer on 24 hours, as work schedule is erratic, and restarting requires recalling all open documents, window positions, etc.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

James Steele wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:47 pm
Zeno wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:32 pm...but could find no way to delete the one in the long StashedExtensions path.
I recall having to do that not long ago to get rid of the residual extension from a utility called DriveDX.

Ultimately, the only way I was able to delete that file was by booting in Recovery Mode and then delete it using Terminal.
Thank you, James. I'll try that, I guess. Will have to find instructions how to do that.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Zeno wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:46 pmThank you, James. I'll try that, I guess. Will have to find instructions how to do that.
Yeah... I'm sorry I don't remember how exactly right now. When I did it, I booted from the recovery partition, then launched the terminal, then had to navigate via the command line to the directory and delete the file. I can try to find if I wrote any of that down.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Zeno wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:45 pm
HCMarkus wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:16 pm Shut down before bedtime.
Thank you for the suggestion...However:

(1) problem happens during day when away from computer as well even for shorter times
(2) my work approach is best when leaving computer on 24 hours, as work schedule is erratic, and restarting requires recalling all open documents, window positions, etc.
I understand. I apologize for my slightly tongue in cheek response, but so many issues that people report are resolved by a simple restart, I couldn't help myself. I've got an M1 Mac, too, and find these machines boot extremely quickly, so fast that a re-boot wastes little time.

Let me suggest you consider checking the option you get when you shut down your Mac "Reopen windows when logging back in"; this could minimize the things you have to do when you boot your Mac.

One more thing: have you tried switching your interface off when not in use, or does this cause other issues?

Of course, I hope you find an elegant solution to the problem, but offer these suggestions as potential alternatives.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

HCMarkus wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:53 am
I understand. I apologize for my slightly tongue in cheek response, but so many issues that people report are resolved by a simple restart, I couldn't help myself. I've got an M1 Mac, too, and find these machines boot extremely quickly, so fast that a re-boot wastes little time.

Let me suggest you consider checking the option you get when you shut down your Mac "Reopen windows when logging back in"; this could minimize the things you have to do when you boot your Mac.

One more thing: have you tried switching your interface off when not in use, or does this cause other issues?

Of course, I hope you find an elegant solution to the problem, but offer these suggestions as potential alternatives.
Thank you again. Yes, I've tried turning off the interface. The kernel panics still happen even with interface off. Presumably the driver stays loaded even if interface is turned off...? So perhaps that is what is unstable.

I so use that option to "Reopen windows when logging back in...". However, many of my apps (including non-audio apps for my non-music projects) do not follow that setting, so I have manually reopen all documents for those and re-orient the windows properly. In some cases, that would even require my taking screenshots to remember what was open and where, and so on.

Thanks again...
Best,
ZM