RANT - Developer: "You can still run [Insert DAW Name] in Rosetta mode"...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: RANT - Developer: "You can still run [Insert DAW Name] in Rosetta mode"...

Post by HCMarkus »

Thanks for the update!

I am actually approaching the day when I should be able to devote a little time to getting BFD going again, so news of an AU is good, although the VST2 would be fine for me, too. I've got to do a complete re-install, as I managed to screw BFD up royally awhile back, and getting it installed and running is a bit of an undertaking.

In addition to music, recent undertakings have included installing a tankless water heater and installing 100+ feet of conduit and #8 wire at the home for a new HVAC system.

Hoping the BFD installation is easier. :shock:
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I don’t understand the plugs that are clearly running under Rosetta versus the ones that can’t be seen at all unless DP is running under Rosetta. I’ve got plugs from a dozen years ago that run fine in DP without the Rosetta checkbox selected for DP. Everything is an AU version, I don’t have VST enabled.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

oldecuriosity wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 6:37 am Adding to this with my own rant - an M1 version of BFD3 was FINALLY released in the last day or so. While I know a lot of people moved to Superior Drummer and others, for me it was my last plug-in that I was waiting to updated. I'm sure there's much more to it than I'm aware, but still I can't believe that any product that is still actively being sold and marketed took this long to release a viable working version. Now, if they can only fix their license manager . . . .
I haven't run it yet. Does the license manager not work?
BFD 3.4.5 is here! This version brings new features that will enhance your BFD3 experience.

The update includes support for the latest silicon processor-based Apple computers and VCA Comp presets to help you achieve your desired sound. Additionally, a new state indicator in the preset name bar keeps you informed of the history of changes you've made.

Bug fixes have also been implemented. To download this free update, head to the BFD License Manager.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
oldecuriosity

Post by oldecuriosity »

mikehalloran wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:41 pm I haven't run it yet. Does the license manager not work?
Mike - I had to start with a fresh install of everything. For whatever reason, the license manager authorized BFD and the related libraries properly, but it didn't recognize that the those libraries were already downloaded. I'm now downloading those and moving those files to my external VI drive. Hopefully, I'll have everything up and running this afternoon.

DP 11
iMac M1 (24-inch, 2021) 16GB RAM
OS X 11.6.2
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I had the BFD3 beta 3.4.5.10 installed. VST worked but AU wouldn’t. Installed the release version which I think was 3.4.5.28 and all is good. AU working in DP.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I am dismayed that BFD3 AAX isn’t AS native. And not just that, they seem to be blaming Steinberg for them not having an AS native VST3 so Cubase users are out of luck. From what I’ve read, developers were put on notice a couple years back that VST2 was going to be deprecated?

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

That BFD VST2 and AU are available is good. The others will probably follow, especially if BFD wants to remain a viable professional product.

Heck, didn't Pro Tools just go Native M1 like a month ago?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:That BFD VST2 and AU are available is good. The others will probably follow, especially if BFD wants to remain a viable professional product.

Heck, didn't Pro Tools just go Native M1 like a month ago?
It was pretty recent as far as Pro Tools goes. They released a public beta with AS support back in December ‘22, presumably an SDK prior to that. The first “certified” version wasn’t released until March ‘23. A few developers, most notably Softube, explicitly stated that they weren’t going to release any AS native AAX plugs until the *certified* version was released. Nonetheless, many developers had native AAX out shortly after the public beta was released.

The people I sympathize with are the Cubase/Nuendo folks. With Cubase 12, unless a plug is native VST3, you can’t use it unless you run Cubase in Rosetta. From what I read on forums this is especially frustrating to people who have UAD-2 hardware dependent plug-ins. Until UA releases VST3 versions (which they say they are working on), their Satellite boxes are paperweights unless they run in Rosetta.

EMRR

Post by EMRR »

EMRR wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:21 am
EMRR wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:17 pmYup
I’m finding for instance, the Rode Soundfield plug isn’t yet updated, and you gotta have it to use the ambisonic mic they sell. ?!?! Appears a similar fate for several other mic pattern decoder plugs.
Rode answers me that there are no plans currently to transition this plug to silicon native due to other product development focus. I am encouraged by them to use Reaper as it works without Rosetta. : (. PT has to run under Rosetta to see it too…..
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing