Harrison Joins SSL

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Harrison Joins SSL

Post by bayswater »

2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Harrison Joins SSL

Post by James Steele »

Wow! It will be interesting to see what comes out of this. I wonder what compelled SSL to make the acquisition? Random musings:

• Will SSL remain in background and let Harrison carry on mostly as before?

• What will happen to the Harrison plug-in, most if not all of which are not Apple Silicon native at this point? SSL makes their own plug-ins. Will the Harrison stuff be allowed to die off? Will it be maintained? Will SSL possibly rebrand it?

• Does SSL want to create their own ecosystem and turn MixBus into their own SSL DAW? If so, from what I understand it’s an emulation of Harrison circuitry. Will they modify it to model the “SSL sound?” Perhaps if they mold MixBus into an SSL DAW they plan very right integration with their SSL control surfaces?

Who knows. It’s quite interesting. Makes me wonder whether there’s any point in jumping in next time MixBus is on sale just in case. If SSL rebrands it and raises the price, there would be a inexpensive upgrade path.

Then again, who has time to learn a new DAW?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Oh and yeah… thank goodness it wasn’t Gibson! They have their hands full anyway, busy suing everybody rather than focusing on their own quality.

Here’s a pic of my only Gibson. An ‘02 LP Standard and the new toggle switch ring I bought last week!

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:40 am Makes me wonder whether there’s any point in jumping in next time MixBus is on sale just in case. If SSL rebrands it and raises the price, there would be a inexpensive upgrade path.

Then again, who has time to learn a new DAW?
Yes, lot’s of huh?

The upgrade price for Mixbus 32C to V9 is $79, and I don’t recall ever seeing a 32C item cheaper than that. The V9 advantage is not that obvious, so I probably won’t bother.

I use it now and then for a simple audio mix. Now I can build a simple DP template that duplicates the Mixbus flow and add in the 32C channel strip, so it’s difficult to see the point. Back when this just functioned as an external rack with a mixer, it sort of made sense, but I’m not keen to learn the new full DAW functions when I can just use a plugin in DP.

As for turning it into a virtual SSL, the underlying application is Ardour which is public domain and Harrison layered on their “sound”. I guess you could layer on anyone’s “sound”, but that’s already out there with plugins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:43 am the new toggle switch ring I bought last week!
Funny but sad.

I also have one Gibson, a ‘90 LP Studio the store couldn’t sell because it was left handed and had active EMG pickups.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Seems like a good match. I sold my SSL2+ once RME came out with the enhanced Babyface Pro FS version of their desktop interface, so I no longer have copies of SSL plugs on my computer, but I used them enough to respect their approach, and it seems compatible with how Harrison has gone about things.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I bought a bunch of SSL plug-ins over the last few of months because they’ve had some crazy sales. Probably a few I didn’t really need, but oh well.