DP 11.22 (and 11.21) Crashes When Closing Projects

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
fusion58
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 11.22 (and 11.21) Crashes When Closing Projects

Post by fusion58 »

When I close a project, DP asks me if I want to save the project, I click "yes," and poof! The whole program crashes. Every time.

The crashes are always followed by one of these messages:

Is this happening to anyone else?

Mac Mini M2 Pro/Ventura 13.2.1.
Mac Mini M2 Pro / OS Ventura 13.4.1 / DP 11.22
mikehalloran

Re: DP 11.22 (and 11.21) Crashes When Closing Projects

Post by mikehalloran »

Not happening here. You did reboot after installing 11.22, yes?

I recommend rebooting, then starting DP in Safe Mode by holding the Shift key. Once open, quit. Now open normally. See if you still have a problem. I had to do this often with DP 10,

If that doesn't do it, shut down your Mac and do a Safe Boot. Once logged in, reboot normally. This fixes any corrupt paths.
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... enu%20bar.

It is doubtful that the Launch Services are the problem but if neither of the above get this, I'll post how to reset those.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah... I know it's not necessarily something people want to hear, but not happening here either. Perhaps it's a plugin or something? Odd.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
fusion58

Post by fusion58 »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:46 pm Not happening here. You did reboot after installing 11.22, yes?

I recommend rebooting, then starting DP in Safe Mode by holding the Shift key. Once open, quit. Now open normally. See if you still have a problem. I had to do this often with DP 10,

If that doesn't do it, shut down your Mac and do a Safe Boot. Once logged in, reboot normally. This fixes any corrupt paths.
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... enu%20bar.

It is doubtful that the Launch Services are the problem but if neither of the above get this, I'll post how to reset those.
Thanks for those tips.

Well, now, on top of the problem I reported in the OP, I have another problem I didn't even know I had: my Mac won't start in safe mode.

At any rate, it's almost 4am here, and I'm running on fumes, so I'll try to tackle this tomorrow with some sleep under my belt.

Thanks again, everybody. 🙏🏻
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Hmmmm... that's odd. You could always try starting DP in it's own "safe" mode as Mike mentioned... basically MIDI only with no MOTU Audio System and then see if it crashes on quit. I imagine it won't. And that won't tell us much other than it's something to do with the audio system and perhaps there's third party plug-in it doesn't like.

I just looked and there's an alternate way to test this. Launch DP as normal, then open Settings and go to Audio Plug-ins. Be sure to save your current set by click "New" and giving it a name and saving it. Then choose "Disable All" from the drop down menu. Click Done. Then close the project and see if you crash.

If you don't, I'd re-launch DP and go back into the same prefs and manually enable ONLY the MAS plug-ins which are the stock included MOTU plugins. See if it still crashes. If not, then maybe there's some third party plug-in thing going on. It could be a PITA to track down. You could gradually enable more and more plugs... like maybe 10 at a time until it crashes again and figure out which one is the culprit that way.

I guess come to think of the rather obvious... think back to when it was working properly and try to remember if you installed any new plug-ins since then. I've fixed issues just by remembering that sometimes. Good luck!

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

my Mac won't start in safe mode.
Any chance you are using something that requires a CodeMeter runtime for licensing? Autotune and many others do. If that runtime is out of date, that can be the problem. The WiBu site has the latest version; Antares often lags behind.
https://www.wibu.com/us/support/user/do ... tware.html

Other possible causes include out of date .kxt files for SoundFlower, NI (Guitar Rig 2) and a few others designed to work in OS 10.7. Chasing these is a PIA.

Otherwise, corrupt Launch Services can be the issue.

Reset Launch Services

1. Open Terminal and run these commands:

2. /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -seed -lint -r -f -v -dump -domain local -domain system -domain user -domain network <Enter or Return key>

3. killall Dock <Enter or Return key>

4. sudo mdutil -E / <Enter or Return key> (enter Admin password when prompted, then <Enter or Return key>)

5. Restart your Mac
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
fusion58

Post by fusion58 »

Apologies for the delayed reply and thanks for the suggestions, everybody.

My efforts to troubleshoot DP have taken a back seat to guitar amp and miscellaneous guitar gear-related maintenance and repair tasks this past week, but those tasks are behind me (knock on wood!) now.

One positive development: The crash is only happening when closing one particular project, i.e., not just any project.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Have the Apple Activity Monitor window open. If anything turns red, double click on it and drill down till there’s nothing left to open. Anything that’s left should be the culprit.

DP’s background processing window open. See if anything flashes as the crash occurs. If it does but is too fast, turn on screen recording QuickTime) so that you can slow down the movie and see what happened.

Yeah, such diagnostics can be a real bear but I’ve never run across the problem that could not be found.

That you cannot boot into Safe Mode indicates a major OS issue. You can get Apple involved in this.
fusion58

Post by fusion58 »

Re: Last post: Looks like I spoke too soon...
One positive development: The crash is only happening when closing one particular project, i.e., not just any project.
After opening and closing numerous projects, I made a strange discovery:

Only new projects I've started in DP 11 cause the aforementioned crash. None of my legacy projects from DP 9 cause the crash.

Also, I checked, and none of the new projects have any third party plugins enabled that the legacy projects don't also have.

Tried all of the suggestions in this thread so far, but no dice.

Missing DP 9 already!
fusion58

Post by fusion58 »

Update:

I believe I've located the culprit.

It's this guy: https://redwirez.com/products/mixir3-ir-loader

Not only does the plugin cause the crash in question; any attempt to remove it from a track insert or delete that track causes DP to crash as well. The only way to remove the plugin from the track is to start DP in safe mode and then delete the track.

Too bad - MixIR2 has always been one of my favorite convolution plugs. For whatever reason, V3 doesn't seem to want to play nice with my current configuration. Hopefully, Redwirez can get this sorted.

Just messaged the company's support inbox. Will await reply.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

fusion58 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:31 pm Update:

I believe I've located the culprit.

It's this guy: https://redwirez.com/products/mixir3-ir-loader

Not only does the plugin cause the crash in question; any attempt to remove it from a track insert or delete that track causes DP to crash as well. The only way to remove the plugin from the track is to start DP in safe mode and then delete the track.

Too bad - MixIR2 has always been one of my favorite convolution plugs. For whatever reason, V3 doesn't seem to want to play nice with my current configuration. Hopefully, Redwirez can get this sorted.

Just messaged the company's support inbox. Will await reply.
Just out of curiosity... have you tried using the VST3 version of that plugin? Not that it's a long term solution by any means, but I've often ran into situations where I was able to use VST3 when the AU had a problem.

fusion58

Post by fusion58 »

James Steele wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:31 pm
Just out of curiosity... have you tried using the VST3 version of that plugin? Not that it's a long term solution by any means, but I've often ran into situations where I was able to use VST3 when the AU had a problem.
I checked DP’s plugin list, and the AU, VST and VST3 versions of the plugin were all installed. All had passed inspection.

I tried disabling all except the AU version, to no avail.

I didn’t try the opposite, i.e., loading the VST3 version all by itself. Perhaps that’s worth a try.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

fusion58 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:41 pmI didn’t try the opposite, i.e., loading the VST3 version all by itself. Perhaps that’s worth a try.
Definitely do that. Not sure you can have both the VST3 and the AU running at the same time. Don't know why it wouldn't let you disable all but the AU. I'm assuming you have AU set as your primary plugin format? I don't know what kind of Mac you're running... if it's Intel or Apple Silicon. You might put your system specs in your user signature, that way it may help troubleshoot. If you're running an M1 or M2 Mac, there's no point in installing the VST2 version. If it's not Universal Binary 2 (contains Apple Silicon and Intel code) and is only Intel, you can't even use it unless you launch DP in Rosetta, which you want to avoid if you don't have to.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Oh and of course, although there's a good chance enabling the VST3 will work, keep in mind that down the road if you switch to the AU version, projects in which you used the VST3 version may show the plugin missing. Although perhaps you can have both active at once. Not sure. I've done it with VIs and they will often show up twice in the plugin menu and I have to remember which is which.

fusion58

Post by fusion58 »

James Steele wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:55 pm

Definitely do that. Not sure you can have both the VST3 and the AU running at the same time. Don't know why it wouldn't let you disable all but the AU. I'm assuming you have AU set as your primary plugin format? I don't know what kind of Mac you're running... if it's Intel or Apple Silicon. You might put your system specs in your user signature, that way it may help troubleshoot. If you're running an M1 or M2 Mac, there's no point in installing the VST2 version. If it's not Universal Binary 2 (contains Apple Silicon and Intel code) and is only Intel, you can't even use it unless you launch DP in Rosetta, which you want to avoid if you don't have to.
Running the AU version all by itself was the first thing I tried.

I haven’t tried the opposite approach yet, i.e., loading the VST3 version all by itself, so I will try that as soon as I get back to the studio.