new to chunks ; causing trouble with UAD satellite overload

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dannyjm
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

new to chunks ; causing trouble with UAD satellite overload

Post by dannyjm »

After many years of using DP I finally decided to try out the chunks capability. I'm working on a recording and I'm just using a few plugins. I have 2 UAD quad satellite units. I started chopping the recording into 12 bar chunks so I could arrange the chunks in the song perhaps using some of the chunks more than once. When I open the original sequence from the chunks window, I get a UAD processing resource limit has been reached alert. Sure enough when I open the UAD status window it says one unit is at 97 percent and the other at 85% capacity with six or seven plugins in each of the 8 processors. Question 1 Why? Question 2 what is the fix?
In the previously saved version before any chunks the usage is low as would be expected.
Any help would be appreciated. I did search the knowledge base but nothing exactly helped.
Thanks
DJM
Mac Mini M2Pro, 16G RAM; Midas M32R Mixer; UAD Quad Satellite x 2, UAD Volt 2x2, Mackie MCU and XTx2 +; Korg Krome 73; Roland VR-760; Yamaha Drum Set; Fender Bass; Guitars & Amps Galore; Selmer MarkVI Tenor sax; Yanigasawa Bari Sax; Selmer SA80 Jubilee Alto Sax. DP11.
dannyjm

Re: new to chunks ; causing trouble with UAD satellite overload

Post by dannyjm »

Oh and I forgot to mention the song icon I created is "broken" like it is invalid.
Mac Mini M2Pro, 16G RAM; Midas M32R Mixer; UAD Quad Satellite x 2, UAD Volt 2x2, Mackie MCU and XTx2 +; Korg Krome 73; Roland VR-760; Yamaha Drum Set; Fender Bass; Guitars & Amps Galore; Selmer MarkVI Tenor sax; Yanigasawa Bari Sax; Selmer SA80 Jubilee Alto Sax. DP11.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: new to chunks ; causing trouble with UAD satellite overload

Post by James Steele »

I'm going to wade in here... not sure exactly what you're describing, but what I think might be happening is when you made separate smaller chunks out of the larger one, each chunk I think has it's own mixing board that goes with it. Each chunk is a self-contained project and so with each separate chunk you created, you duplicated the instances of your UAD plug-ins.

The way around this is a bit involved. But basically in order to share effects amongst multiple chunks, you use a V-Rack, which is essentially a special chunk. The V-Rack can contain aux tracks with effects plugs on them, and then you can assign aux sends in the other tracks to the input in the V-Rack. Again, it's very involved and I'm hardly an expert as I don't use them much, but read Chapter 68 on V-Racks in the DP User Guide starting on page 817. That's going to solve the redundant effects problem... at least ones you're using on Aux sends.

Also, the Song Window hasn't necessarily kept up much with the times and it might be pretty cumbersome to work the way you're doing it. You could also try to use "Clips" although I checked and a clip can't contain multiple tracks. Still it may make it easier to move sections of a song around together by making 12 bar Clips and moving those around.

Then again the simplest thing might be to forget about V-Racks and select time ranges and use Snip & Splice to move sections around. Sorry not of more help.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!