How to fade playing a sample via MIDI once playback starts

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
nrengle1318
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to fade playing a sample via MIDI once playback starts

Post by nrengle1318 »

Here's the setup guys.

Digital Performer 11. Show is setup with a chunk per song.

Interludes being played via MIDI from a drum pad to a module to Kontakt 7 as a Virtual instrument in Digital Performer.

Songs are started via footswitch that acts as the spacebar (start/stop) inside of DP.

He wants to be able to start a song via the footswitch, and have the interlude sample stop, and fade out when he hits the footswitch. Not an abrupt end, or having to hit the drum pad a second time to stop the sample (using MIDI Latch currently to keep the sample playing).
mikehalloran

Re: How to fade playing a sample via MIDI once playback starts

Post by mikehalloran »

I can't see how to do that with a footswitch. A footpedal MIDI controller, perhaps.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Don't know about the triggering part (what is the "module" you refer to?), but setting up Kontakt with a slow envelope release could handle the fade.

Maybe have the foot switch send "All Notes Off" MIDI message? How that would interact with Kontakt in Latch Mode is an unknown. Probably wouldn't work.

Can drum pad be set up so a pad strike send only a MIDI ON message? Use Kontakt in normal mode, then have the foot switch send the All Notes Off message.
nrengle1318

Post by nrengle1318 »

HCMarkus wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:21 pm
Maybe have the foot switch send "All Notes Off" MIDI message? How that would interact with Kontakt in Latch Mode is an unknown. Probably wouldn't work.

Can drum pad be set up so a pad strike send only a MIDI ON message? Use Kontakt in normal mode, then have the foot switch send the All Notes Off message.
Thanks for that idea. So what I'm doing to do the fade is using a MIDI track in Digital Performer to A, fade the volume as the sequence starts/plays. And an all notes off at the end of that to avoid any mis-trigger from the drum pad on the drum kit in case of broken stick, or something hitting the pad.

Only weird issue I have now is that to get Kontakt to fire a sample from the pad in the next chunk is we have to hit the pad twice. Which is odd, now to just figure that out. Is there a MIDI ON message I can put in the MIDI track? I don't see one on the dropdown box options.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

A MIDI Note On? Just insert a note. Otherwise, not sure what you mean.