Waves by Subscription

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
rp88.2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Waves by Subscription

Post by rp88.2 »

Not sure is you all have seen this Waves substitution list.

Found this over at Gearspace as there are 1-2 Waves plugins that I will be replacing with non-subscription based.

This is not my spreadsheet but the owner (Plexus on gearspace) is happy for it to be shared around.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

The few that I will be replacing I originally bought because they were introduced at $19 or $29 and I didn't, at the time, what to spend $200 on the non-waves equiv.

Trust the Google Sheet will be helpful to some.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Waves by Subscription

Post by James Steele »

Where Waves blew it is with poor communication. They had to know that their users often procrastinate when when it comes to renewing their WUP coverage. At a crucial point in the Mac’s evolution (M1/M2) without warning they eliminated the ability to purchase WUP and stranded many many Mac users on dead-end Intel-only versions of their plug-ins. (Sure, you could blame the user for not religiously renewing their WUP, but let’s be real.) So one day, without warning, they wake up to discover that if they want to run Apple Silicon native Waves plugs some day they have no option but to purchase the subscription.

You might say that this isn’t that big a deal. Their non-native AU plugs can still run inside DP while DP itself runs native thanks to Apple building in this capability. Logic users are good too. And I think Steinberg built in the ability to run Intel VSTs alongside native VSTs.

The users who are the *most* screwed are the Pro Tools users. Pro Tools had a public beta out that could run AS-native, but the official “certified” AS-native Pro Tools dropped only TWO DAYS prior to Waves changing the game without warning. Pro Tools CANNOT mix and match. You have no choice but to run Pro Tools in Rosetta and thus nullify the benefits of Apple Silicon to use just one Intel Waves plug-in in a project.

I understand capitalism. I don’t need to be lectured about it. Waves is free to do what they wish, but the changeover was poorly executed. At the very least they should announce a “WUP Amnesty” period and give existing perpetual license owners a last opportunity to update to V14 (the first AS-native version). Then if the subscription plan is appealing, users can CHOOSE it on the merits, instead of feeling forced to, as in the case of Pro Tools users who will otherwise have to run their DAW in Rosetta on a new M1/M2 Mac.

The bottom line is the market will determine if Waves’ strategy was wise. Consumers will vote with their dollars. I’m pretty sure they won’t see any money from me personally ever again. There really are still many other viable alternatives out there. Waves faces competition not just from developers who don’t force you into a subsection, but also from developers whose subscriptions might be better for a particular user—like UA Spark or Slate.

I think if Waves wants to salvage any good will, the “WUP Amnesty” period is a good option. Give a little bit of break to your past customers who you cut off without warning. Let them WUP (and pay you more money) to get to Apple Silicon native. They’re probably more likely to buy your subscription later if you treat them with some consideration and respect.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Great summation James.

In case this helps anyone: Waves Software - How To Get The Latest Version
There have been a number of people concerned that with the release of Waves Creative Access, it is no longer possible to upgrade your Waves plugins to the latest version. It is possible, and in this article, we show you how.

As part of deciding what to do in response to Waves moving to a subscription-only business module, I realised that some of my Waves perpetual licenses had not been updated to the latest version, currently v14).

I opened Waves Central, and found a number of products with crosshatch lines through them with no apparent way to upgrade them to the latest version...
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/produc ... st-version

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I'm gonna give this whole issue a few months
and then it will have blown over and everyone will find some other relatively insignificant issue to argue about. And it IS insignificant. With all the problems in the world, this Waves thing is hardly worth getting worked up over. But I suppose people feel the need to say something understandable.

I stopped posting my opinions on the issue over at Gearspace as the angry blowback directed at me personally was really something to behold. I got so many personal insults from supposedly "professional" people. Now it's become anathema to post anything pro-Waves anywhere..the anti-Waves thought police will pounce on anyone who doesn't believe Waves are run by the devil himself.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

David Polich wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:51 am I stopped posting my opinions on the issue over at Gearspace as the angry blowback directed at me personally was really something to behold. I got so many personal insults from supposedly "professional" people.
Don’t give up. Some of us want to hear well reasoned opinions we don’t necessarily agree with rather than the usual dog pile that happens with these topics.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

David Polich wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:51 am I'm gonna give this whole issue a few months
and then it will have blown over and everyone will find some other relatively insignificant issue to argue about. And it IS insignificant. With all the problems in the world, this Waves thing is hardly worth getting worked up over. But I suppose people feel the need to say something understandable.

I stopped posting my opinions on the issue over at Gearspace as the angry blowback directed at me personally was really something to behold. I got so many personal insults from supposedly "professional" people. Now it's become anathema to post anything pro-Waves anywhere..the anti-Waves thought police will pounce on anyone who doesn't believe Waves are run by the devil himself.
Wow.

Really sorry to hear that was your experience.

Online interactions just about everywhere are increasingly extreme it seems.

(Again, another reason to appreciate this place. Differences of opinion are just that: Differences of opinion, not life/death struggles.)

This issue has become reminiscent of a recent blow up when Bitwig charged for some new plugins. You would have thought that they had committed mass murder. Folks were outraged, OUTRAGED I tell you. A few Youtube influencers were "bravely" staking out positions of "never again" doing business with Bitwig, switching DAWs, etc., etc.

In this case, Bitwig reconsidered and backed up. After two weeks nobody remembered. One YouTuber who walked away from the platform is stuck using Reaper in his videos to try to do what he used to do with ease in BWS...

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

BobK

Post by BobK »

They're bringing back perpetual licenses:

https://www.waves.com/news/perpetual-wa ... s-are-back
Following your feedback, we are bringing back the option to purchase and update perpetual Waves plugin and bundle licenses, side-by-side with the new Waves Creative Access subscriptions. We are working to make perpetual licenses available to you again as quickly as possible. We will post real-time updates here as soon as they are available.
Last edited by BobK on Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

Looks like perpetual licenses and updates are coming back now.

https://www.waves.com/news/perpetual-wa ... s-are-back

Letter from Meir Shashoua, Waves CTO and Co-Founder – March 29, 2023:

Dear Waves community,

Over the past few days, many of you have expressed concerns about our decision to discontinue perpetual plugin licenses and our move to an exclusive plugin subscription model. I would like to start by apologizing for the frustration we have caused many of you, our loyal customers. We understand that our move was sudden and disruptive, and did not sufficiently take into consideration your needs, wishes, and preferences. We are genuinely sorry for the distress it has caused.

After respectfully listening to your concerns, I want to share with you that we are bringing back the perpetual plugin license model, side-by-side with the new subscriptions. You will again be able to get plugins as perpetual licenses, just as before.

In addition, those of you who already own perpetual licenses will once again be able to update your plugins and receive a second license via the Waves Update Plan—again, just as before. This option, too, will be available alongside and independently of the subscription program.

We are currently putting all our efforts into making perpetual licenses available to you again, as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you can keep-up-date on this webpage, where we will post real-time updates as they are available.

I would like you to know that we are committed to you, our users. We listened to your feedback, and we will continue to listen to you. Waves is a company filled with users and creators, just like you, and we are all as passionate about the products as you are. With this in mind, we will strive to find the way to make things right by you, and hopefully regain your trust.

Thank you for your feedback and continued support—I wish you all the best,

Meir Shashoua
CTO and Co-Founder
Waves Audio
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Ok..cool. Genuinely happy to see this.

I'm still sticking with the subscription. It just makes more sense financially for me. Actually subs in general work best for my needs.

Now maybe everyone can calm down and get back to writing and producing good music.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Extinguishing their torches, the villagers return to their homes.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Move along. Nothing to see here.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Waves by Subscription

Post by James Steele »

David Polich wrote:Ok..cool. Genuinely happy to see this.

I'm still sticking with the subscription. It just makes more sense financially for me. Actually subs in general work best for my needs.

Now maybe everyone can calm down and get back to writing and producing good music.
Who is “everyone?” Who needs to “calm” down? We’re not hysterical. People expressed their displeasure which is their right and you characterized it as tirades and hand wringing. And you implied if not outright stated that we just need to get over it and it’s inevitable. It looks like you were wrong in this case.

All folks wanted was a choice. You can have your subscription now. Enjoy. But other users that had the “WUP rug” pulled out from under them WITHOUT WARNING will be treated better and can reinstate their old plugs.

You could just say “thank you” to those folks who weren’t hysterical but voiced their unhappiness and in the end obtained an outcome that is beneficial for ALL users (and Waves as well) despite your predictions, instead of what feels like a parting shot… that they can “calm down” now.

What we witnessed was consumers having a voice and making a positive difference and that’s a good thing. Glad most us didn’t just roll over and accept it like you seemed to be suggesting.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
coolbass

Waves by Subscription

Post by coolbass »

James Steele wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:20 am
David Polich wrote:Ok..cool. Genuinely happy to see this.

Who is “everyone?” Who needs to “calm” down? We’re not hysterical. People expressed their displeasure which is their right and you characterized it as tirades and hand wringing. And you implied if not outright stated that we just need to get over it and it’s inevitable. It looks like you were wrong in this case.

All folks wanted was a choice. You can have your subscription now. Enjoy. But other users that had the “WUP rug” pulled out from under them WITHOUT WARNING will be treated better and can reinstate their old plugs.

You could just say “thank you” to those folks who weren’t hysterical but voiced their unhappiness and in the end obtained an outcome that is beneficial for ALL users (and Waves as well) despite your predictions, instead of what feels like a parting shot… that they can “calm down” now.

What we witnessed was consumers having a voice and making a positive difference and that’s a good thing. Glad most us didn’t just roll over and accept it like you seemed to be suggesting.
Exactly!i
groove
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Hey James,

Well said.

Somehow, I was able to remain 'calm' and actually recorded quite a bit of music while the controversy was roiling.
I did express my discontent on several forums and directly to Waves.
Not exactly tirades, but strongly worded assertions of my point of view.

I am heartened to hear that Waves is listening to the many users who expressed their opinions.
I take this as a very positive sign.
In this case, the voice of the people appears to have prevailed.
Yay!

Also great for those who love the subscription model.
Win/Win?
I hope.

I am cautiously optimistic.
Let's see the pricing of the WUP before we celebrate.
All is well
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

HCMarkus wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:06 am Extinguishing their torches, the villagers return to their homes.
:rofl:
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.