Cuemix FX Not Responsive on M1 Mac

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
electricnote
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Cuemix FX Not Responsive on M1 Mac

Post by electricnote »

Just bought a 828mk3 Hybrid. I'm using it with a new M1 Mac Studio that has a fresh install of macOS Ventura 13.2.1. When MOTU Audio Setup or CueMix FX are launched, they become unresponsive after a few seconds. Any attempt to change a control in Cuemix FX results in a spinning beach ball. If I force quit the app, quitting takes a long time and any subsequent relaunching also takes a long time.

The 828mk3 works fine in Logic Pro X. However, if CueMix is then launched, Logic Pro also becomes unresponsive. Nothing then works right until a reboot.

I've tried:
  • Multiple reboots.
  • Erased the Mac and reinstalled macOS. Ran the MOTU Audio Installer 89555 successfully (I made sure to set the Security Policy to "Reduced Security" with the "Allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers"). I then clicked on "Allow" when asked to in Security & Privacy preferences.
  • Changed the USB cable connecting the Mac to the 828mk3.
  • Powered down and turned the 828 back on.
  • Disconnected and reconnected the USB cable between the Mac and 828mk3.
  • Reset the 828mk3 to factory settings.
Anyone have any suggestions?
electricnote

Re: Cuemix FX Not Responsive on M1 Mac

Post by electricnote »

After a week of failed attempts, I finally got Audio Setup and CueMix FX to work in Ventura:
  • Make sure your audio interface is disconnected from the computer.
  • Erase the internal drive on the Mac.
  • Install Monterey using the USB flash drive.
  • Eject the USB flash drive.
  • Install the MOTU audio software.
  • Connect the MOTU audio interface and verify that Audio Setup and CueMix FX work correctly (you may need to shut the Mac down and power it back up after connecting).
  • Upgrade to Ventura and the MOTU apps should still work.
It looks like the MOTU drivers get installed differently by Monterey and Ventura, which affects how those drivers run in each OS. Once they're installed by Monterey, Ventura apparently leaves them alone and they still run properly.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

electricnote wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:03 am After a week of failed attempts, I finally got Audio Setup and CueMix FX to work in Ventura:

• Install the MOTU audio software.
  • Connect the MOTU audio interface and verify that Audio Setup and CueMix FX work correctly (you may need to shut the Mac down and power it back up after connecting).
  • Upgrade to Ventura and the MOTU apps should still work.
It looks like the MOTU drivers get installed differently by Monterey and Ventura, which affects how those drivers run in each OS. Once they're installed by Monterey, Ventura apparently leaves them alone and they still run properly.
Thanks for the heads up. What does MOTU have to say about this?

I've noted in a number of threads lately that Ventura handles this and other processes differently and MOTU hasn't released correct documentation on this.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
electricnote

Post by electricnote »

I had a support ticket submitted to MOTU. They told me to swap cables and try a hub. Nothing about different versions of macOS.

They need to get these drivers fully updated for Ventura since they say as of 10/24/2022 on their website "The USB and Hybrid interface models listed below are fully compatible with macOS Ventura" and then list the 828mk3 Hybrid along with others. Not being able to install the software so it works is *not* fully compatible.

And if you get one of the new M2 Macs, you probably won't be able to downgrade to Monterey to install MOTU software.
electricnote

Post by electricnote »

I've now found that while CueMix FX runs normally for a while, after a few minutes it starts to beach ball again and a restart or power off/power on of the Mac is required.

So what I've been doing is starting the Mac, launching CueMix FX right away and changing whatever settings I need to change, quitting CueMix FX, and then launching Logic Pro X and going on my merry way. As long as MOTU Audio Setup or CueMix FX aren't open very long, everything seems to run fine.
bobco631
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bobco631 »

Ventura 13.5 on an Apple M2 Pro for me :

my experience this weekend on a live gig with the Motu 828 MK3 Hybrid is similar , the beach balling yes , I have a few more artifacts like the focus of channels 1-8 avail but nothing higher than that , I have a MOTU 8 Pre as a converter breakout for another 8 analog XLR mic pre into the 828 mk3 . Also using touch OSC as a client , and the focus of channels seems super flaky glitching hard on the touch OSC device .

I have used this system successfully with an older Big Sur MBP 2017, even incorporating a Mackie MCU as a control surface added and "cabled" in Audio MIDI Setup, that seems not doable on my Apple M2 Pro MBP Ventura 13.5. Can add the Mackie device but cables won't take , really can't get off the ground with MIDI connected to the Motu 828Mk3 Hybrid with the Mackie MCU , which does work great on an older Mac OS . Also the work around downgrading to Monterey isn't possible on this M2 Pro Ventura , can't blow off my hard drive to work around this issues with this particular device it's managed by work through Kandji sadly , woe is me lol . I can't have my Kandji and it eat too .

Touch OSC does work however , there is this issue , for me particularly :

https://youtu.be/IDjblIP_Y9M

This demonstrates the 10 second lag on adjusting Main Out and Mix Bus output master faders and mutes , ten second lag !

The response of the channel and eQ faders etc is fine and real time , however the mix bus master and mutes give it ten seconds , that is crazy long and you can't work like that in a live situation I have found out the hard way unfortunately .

I'll go back to the MBP 2017 , why didn't I foresee those challenges , learn the hard way , that's the way it is for me sadly .

edit: indeed the MBP 2017 intel machine on Big Sur runs CueMix perfectly with no issues , M1 M2 Silicon etc , doesn't work flawlessly , but it works do a degree , the master busses fade and mutes 10 second lag , and the glitchy Focus of channels on Touch OSC is a major concern . Stick with the older OS and and older machines for CueMix on the 828 MK3 Hybrid for Touch OSC implementation
Reaper Mac 6.3.1 ; 828mk3 FW; 8Pre FW; 2008 MacPro 3,1 Mojave.
2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 16 Gb RAM OS 10.15.7 500 Gb Flash Storage MOTU M2