828 Motu mkii and Lenovo laptop with Windows 11

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
eatingdanger
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828 Motu mkii and Lenovo laptop with Windows 11

Post by eatingdanger »

Hello, this is my first time ever using a audio interface and need some help. I don't even know where to start with connecting this device to my laptop, and have heard I'll need to install different sound chips and drivers to have it function with my newer laptop?? I don't even know, and would really appreciate being walked through on this. Thank you. :dance:
Attachments
383f3887b2ce39a378e6fe757a82f868.png
383f3887b2ce39a378e6fe757a82f868.png (147.82 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 828 Motu mkii and Lenovo laptop with Windows 11

Post by James Steele »

Hopefully some knowledgeable Windows users will chime in.

MOTU had driver installers on their website here:
https://motu.com/en-us/download/#category=1&product=135

I'm guessing you got this used, because it looks like MOTU last released drivers for this unit about twelve years ago... for Windows 8.1. Sometimes you can download newer installers and they will work with older interfaces, but not sure. If nobody chimes in, you might want to access this site via web browser on a computer if you're not already, and use the "Google Search..." box at the upper right and do some searches in the 828mkII and Windows 10 or 11. I mention 10, because maybe someone has gotten it working with 10 so maybe 11 will be okay. I know 11 is pretty new. I use Windows laptops in my business, but I've shied away from 11 because it's a proprietary app and just want to be on the safe side with it.

You might also try to contact MOTU and see if it will work. There are occasions where they will say it isn't "officially supported"... but there is sometimes a "unsupported" way to get it to function. Good luck. Again, hoping some Windows gurus jump in here.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
eatingdanger
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by eatingdanger »

James Steele wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:25 pm Hopefully some knowledgeable Windows users will chime in.

MOTU had driver installers on their website here:
https://motu.com/en-us/download/#category=1&product=135

I'm guessing you got this used, because it looks like MOTU last released drivers for this unit about twelve years ago... for Windows 8.1. Sometimes you can download newer installers and they will work with older interfaces, but not sure. If nobody chimes in, you might want to access this site via web browser on a computer if you're not already, and use the "Google Search..." box at the upper right and do some searches in the 828mkII and Windows 10 or 11. I mention 10, because maybe someone has gotten it working with 10 so maybe 11 will be okay. I know 11 is pretty new. I use Windows laptops in my business, but I've shied away from 11 because it's a proprietary app and just want to be on the safe side with it.

You might also try to contact MOTU and see if it will work. There are occasions where they will say it isn't "officially supported"... but there is sometimes a "unsupported" way to get it to function. Good luck. Again, hoping some Windows gurus jump in here.
thanks for the leads, ill check it out
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MOTU will likely not help since the interface is so old (company policy but some ignore it). Find the drivers for the 828mk3 Hybrid — these will be current.

There are two versions of the 828mkII, usb and FireWire. If the FW version, you’ll need adapters to connect it through Thunderbolt unless you have a FireWire card, preferably Texas Instruments.

The USB version is a straight shot. For best results, use a cable that supports 480KBs USB 2 — not all do.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
RonnieRiley

Post by RonnieRiley »

Connecting your Motu mkii to your Lenovo laptop running Windows 11 shouldn't be too difficult. First, make sure you have the right cables. Then, just plug in the Motu mkii to your laptop using a USB port. Windows should automatically detect it, but if not, you might need to manually install the drivers. You can find the drivers on the Motu website. Once you've got those installed, just restart your laptop and you should be good to go. If you're not sure about anything, just hit the windows key and type in "device manager" to manage your sound devices.