Synchronisation

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
faonfaon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Synchronisation

Post by faonfaon »

Hi,

I would like to synchronize DP11 with Finale 27 for Mac.
Is it possible ? And how must I do ?

Thank you

François
Mac mini 32 GB Ram - OS X Monterey 12.4 - Digital Performer 11.2 - Apollo Twin - VSL - Ivory II - Drumcore 4 - Appassionata Strings - Synful - Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 - Vienna Mir Pro - Special Edition - Konzerthaus Orgel - Pianoteq 7 - Chamber Strings - Solo Strings - Symphonic Choirs - Pettinhouse Guitars - Notion 6 - BBC Symphony Orchestra Pro from Spitfire Audio
FMiguelez

Re: Synchronisation

Post by FMiguelez »

Yes, you can. The other day I synced Finale to DP as a master, older versions.

I did create a quick text doc to remind me how to do it next time. I wonder if I could just upload the document here. It has a few key pics... Can I upload pics here? I don' t seem to be able to access my old pics account...

Or send me a PM with your email and I'll mail it to you. It's just a small text file with a couple of pics with the needed settings.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I do it all the time. Haven’t tried it in Ventura yet but I’ll try later today and post screen shots.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Ha! I figured out how. James now allows us to include pics directly here...

You can ignore the very last comment at the bottom of the doc. And you need to input whatever is relevant for your project in the SMPTE Start Frame (that's the one I use in my template).
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (81.6 KiB) Viewed 806 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (111.69 KiB) Viewed 806 times
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
faonfaon

Post by faonfaon »

Thank you FMiguelez for your help.
I think I am not far to get the good result.

Just one thing.
I cannot find IAC driver Bus 1 in the Finale MIDI Setup.
I can see it in DP Audio/MIDI Configuration but not in Finale.

I have 3 screens with my Mac mini.
Do I have to use DP and Finale on one screen only or
there is no problem about that ?

Thank you

François
Mac mini 32 GB Ram - OS X Monterey 12.4 - Digital Performer 11.2 - Apollo Twin - VSL - Ivory II - Drumcore 4 - Appassionata Strings - Synful - Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 - Vienna Mir Pro - Special Edition - Konzerthaus Orgel - Pianoteq 7 - Chamber Strings - Solo Strings - Symphonic Choirs - Pettinhouse Guitars - Notion 6 - BBC Symphony Orchestra Pro from Spitfire Audio
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You have not told us what you want to accomplish. What is it? Is Finale the Master or Slave?

FM guessed that Finale is the Slave. I use Finale as the Master and DP the Slave.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
faonfaon

Post by faonfaon »

Hi Mike,

In an orchestration with piano, for me it is more easy to record the piano in DP than in Finale. So yes in that case it would be good that DP is the slave.
But I discover this way of working and I am curious to hear from you.

What do you recommend ?

Thank you

François
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:46 am You have not told us what you want to accomplish. What is it? Is Finale the Master or Slave?

FM guessed that Finale is the Slave. I use Finale as the Master and DP the Slave.
I totally assumed DP was the master :)
Doing it the other way around sounds interesting, though... like something I'd wanna try. But isn't it sort of painful to edit velocities, CCs, and tempo in Finale?
What kind of projects lend themselves well to having Finale as the master? For some reason, I'm not seeing it... Is it perhaps treating DP as some kind of instrument rack?

The OP mentioned that it's easier for him to record in DP... I'm not clear on how having Finale as the master would accomplish that.

faonfaon

Post by faonfaon »

After a long time, I was able to have Finale as a master and DP as a slave.
Is my configuration correct ?

In DP Receive Sync : SMPTE Frame Format : 30fps Non-Drop
MIDI Time Code (MTC)
Sync to port : Finale.app Output 1

In Finale MIDI Setup : Enable Inter-Application Ports and Send MTC to all

I use Note Performer and it has 1 second delay.
How can have the same timing in DP and Finale ?

Thanks
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2023-03-10 à 18.38.25.png
Capture d’écran 2023-03-10 à 18.38.25.png (75.89 KiB) Viewed 681 times
Capture d’écran 2023-03-10 à 18.38.25.png
Capture d’écran 2023-03-10 à 18.38.25.png (75.89 KiB) Viewed 681 times
faonfaon

Post by faonfaon »

This is my reply to FMiguelez

I would like YES to have DP as a master and Finale as a slave.

I like the orchestration in Finale with Note Performer and the dynamics are very natural
much easier than editing MIDI CC1 in DP.

You showed me the way to do that with pictures and thank you.

Just that I cannot see IAC Driver in Finale.

How can I do ?

Thanks
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

faonfaon wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:52 am
I would like YES to have DP as a master and Finale as a slave.

I like the orchestration in Finale with Note Performer and the dynamics are very natural
much easier than editing MIDI CC1 in DP.

You showed me the way to do that with pictures and thank you.

Just that I cannot see IAC Driver in Finale.

How can I do ?

Thanks
Glad you figured it out with Finale as a master!

For the inverse, is the problem that you don't see the IAC bus in the dropdown menu in the Receive MIDI From box? I click in mine and I see it there. Did you enable the Enable Inter aplication Ports option in Finale's MIDI setup dialog box? Is it properly enabled in OS's Audio MIDI Setup?

BTW, I just checked out that "Note Performer" you just mentioned, and it looks quite intriguing!
Their promo video sounds great and it looks very promising and exciting (although the 2 reviews they got at their site are very negative, basically saying it's unusable). Does it work for you and are you happy with it? Does it save you a lot of editing work?

But I don't get it... where do the samples/wavetables (or whatever) that this programmed intelligence manipulates come from? They come with the program?

faonfaon

Post by faonfaon »

Yes, for me, Note Performer is absolutely good.
You save a lot of time because the dynamics really work well.
For example you start a phrase using "piano' dynamic (which correspond at about 49 if you speak about velocities) then you add a crescendo and finish with 'forte' and that's all. When you play the music it is very natural and you didn't spend time to use and re-use the Mod Wheel with CC1.
The sounds are great of course better than Finale. For me with Note Performer you make a lot of music and no editing.

Ok for the the IAC, I can see it in the Receive Box of DP. I cannot see it in Finale MIDI Setup
faonfaon

Post by faonfaon »

FMigulez, It works 95% ! Thanks !

I was able to setup IAC in DP and Finale.

Now the problem I have is this one.

When I start DP, Finale starts at the tempo of DP, that's good.

When I stop DP, Finale stops and that's good too.

But when I start again DP at measure 1, Finale goes at the beginning of the measure where I stopped.

For example I start DP at bar 1 and Finale starts. If I stop DP at bar 4, Finale stops but when I want
to start DP again at bar 1, Finale returns at the beginning of bar 4.
I need to go to the Playback Control and manually write bar 1 in Finale ......
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

When using DP as a slave, I set it up from within Finale, normally to record MIDI since DP does not have MusicXML Import.

Ok, screenshots are working again…
Finale MIDI Export.jpg
Finale MIDI Export.jpg (311.39 KiB) Viewed 616 times
Finale MIDI Setup.jpg
Finale MIDI Setup.jpg (189.92 KiB) Viewed 616 times
DP MIDI Import from Finale.jpg
DP MIDI Import from Finale.jpg (590.53 KiB) Viewed 616 times
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

faonfaon wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:01 pm FMigulez, It works 95% ! Thanks !

I was able to setup IAC in DP and Finale.

Now the problem I have is this one.

When I start DP, Finale starts at the tempo of DP, that's good.

When I stop DP, Finale stops and that's good too.

But when I start again DP at measure 1, Finale goes at the beginning of the measure where I stopped.

For example I start DP at bar 1 and Finale starts. If I stop DP at bar 4, Finale stops but when I want
to start DP again at bar 1, Finale returns at the beginning of bar 4.
I need to go to the Playback Control and manually write bar 1 in Finale ......
Good. You basically got it!
As for that stubborn behaviour in Finale, I suppose it must be some kind of preference to uncheck, like the equivalent to DP's auto rewind, so it restarts at the same place as the master, DP.
I'm not sure where that setting would be; maybe in its transport hidden commands or in Finale's preferences..

I'm sure Mike knows. Hopefully he'll see this last setup detail issue you're having.