Issue with 828x over USB for CueMix Return assign

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
newmattboy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Issue with 828x over USB for CueMix Return assign

Post by newmattboy »

Hi,

I've just updated my computer to the latest mac mini M2 running macOs Ventura.
As I no longer have Thunderbolt 1/2 connector on this machine, I use the USB 2.0
I specify that I own the 828x since years, I master it well as well as the CueMix settings.
Two 8Pre are slaved on adat to the 828x.

I specify that I use the latest MOTU drivers. I reboot the 828x to factory setting and I try on my previous computer, also on USB (mac mini 2014). I disconnected all other USB devices, hub and hard drive. I check USB connection in macOS settings, giving 480MB/s.

I realize that I have rather disabling bugs :banghead:
1 : First, I have to switch on/off several times the 828x to have it available on macOS audio.
2 : Sometimes the inputs 11/12 (reverb return) and 13/14 (Return assign) doesn't work. There are still available in my daw but show -inf level.
3 : Or elase they work but the 13/14 only produce a hard and buzzy noise.

But everything works fine with TB on the 2014 mac mini. It doesn't work well over USB on both 2014 / 2023 computer.
So, the issuedoes not come from compatibility with the latest Apple machines but from a general USB/ADDAT problem.

By doing test, I realize that using both ADAT inputs is the source of the problem.
If I disable one ADAT input, the 13/14 Return assign work again.

The manual say that the 828x works the same way in USB or TB.
So no. How come I have this bandwidth limitation in USB?

I can complete with screenshots if necessary.

The last option I have left is to test with TB 3 to 2 adapter.

Have any of you encountered this problem? How did you solve it?
Thank you.
mikehalloran

Re: Issue with 828x over USB for CueMix Return assign

Post by mikehalloran »

Hmmmm... multiple 828x threads in one day.

Not having one, I'll take three stabs at this.

1) The first is that you might not be using a USB 2 cable. There have been many reports of USB 3 cables not being exactly compatible. The protocol is not backward compatible but that isn't an issue if the cable is wired properly—many are not, however. Since your Mini has USB-A ports, try a direct connection using a USB 2 cable. Do not connect through a hub. If that works and you prefer to use a USB-C port, here is a USB-2 over USB-C cable ("Up to 480 Mbps data transfer speed").
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Typ ... ref=sr_1_9

2) Read this thread from earlier today and see if it applies.
https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73016

3)Have you done a factory reset to Default?
828x / 828mk3 Hybrid / 828mk3 FW: Press the Param/Setup knob until the LCD screen reads "828X SETUP" (or equivalent). The LCD screen will quickly flash to "LCD CONTRAST". Turn the Param/Setup knob all the way to the right. The LCD screen will read: "Factory Defaults Press [Value]". Push the Value knob. The LCD screen will display "Are you sure? Push [VALUE]". Push the Value knob again to confirm. The LCD screen will read: "Initializing...". The clock LED will flash when reset is complete.
4) I shouldn't think you need the Apple TB2–TB3 adapter but perhaps you do. You want to try the above and contact Support first.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQ ... asin_title
Thunderbolt cable
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Ce ... ref=sr_1_4
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
newmattboy

Post by newmattboy »

Hello Mike and thanks for taking time to respond to me.

1) I confirm that I'm using a USB 2.0 cable (it's written on it). Your amazon reference is not good because it's USB type B on the 828x side. I use this adapter : https://www.thomann.de/fr/thomann_usb_c_otg_adapter.htm
I also try with that cable from Elektron https://www.thomann.de/fr/elektron_usb_cable_usb_1.htm and I still have the issue.

I connect the 828x to the computer on the USB-C port because it seems that the 2 USB-A port share the same bus.
And on the second USB-A port I have the Overhub with all my Elektron gears.
01.png
01.png (29.36 KiB) Viewed 1131 times
2 & 3) Yep, I did the factory reset and I confirm that I added all permission in my DAW for MOTU audio.
As I said, I don't have a driver issue because everyting works fine. I have all my inputs and output in the DAW, except Reverb Return and Return Assign, which are displayed but remain silent (or buzzy).

*The reverb return is well configured in CueMix and I link the Return Assign to a dedicated bus merging all my synths input.

4) Yes, I use an Apple TB cable on the mac mini (intel 2014).
I will therefore consider to use this expensive adapter with my new mac mini (M2 2013).

As said earlier, I have that issue over USB on both computer.
I find it very strange that CueMix seems to disable Return on USB as the manual said the interface works the same over USB and TB.

*That configuation works fine over TB on the 2014 mac mini.
newmattboy

Post by newmattboy »

Well, after hours of trying to fix the bug, I finally bought the TB3>2 adapter.
It works fine, so that's it. Let's make music now !

If other users are confronted with the mentioned problem, I would be interested to have their feedback.
I still don't understand why the same CueMix setup doesn't work well over USB.
Either I have no sound on the returns (assign or reverb) or the track buzz...
DigiMixAudio

Post by DigiMixAudio »

I was using a MOTU 828 Mk3 as my primary audio interface, with a second 828 Mk3 Hybrid daisy-chained to the thunderbolt input and USB out to iMac One. The 828's were connected to 2 Yamaha O2r's, providing no latency. I reconfigured my studio over the weekend, moving my keyboards to an easier to reach position, and simply unplugged my MOTU 828's and plugged them back in when I thought I was finished. Upon restarting, Audio/MIDI Setup only connected 828 Hybrid, and when I connected the Mk3 alone, it was not recognized. Then I ran the Mk3 updater from 1.01 to 1.06 with still no success. Preferences shows the thunderbolt adapter, but the port shows no connection. Any suggestions?