Paste or Merge at Wiper—SOLVED

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Paste or Merge at Wiper—SOLVED

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hey folks.......
I'm doing a project (solo guitar album) where I'm just using DP as an audio recorder without reference to measures-beats-ticks (most of my pieces are rubato and don't follow a strict tempo).

When I'm editing audio in the Sequence Editor and paste or merge at Wiper, the soundbite doesn't paste at the wiper, but usually a second or two afterwards. I'm guessing this is DP trying to maintain the relationship of the bite to the tempo and time signature, even though I'm not paying attention to them. Is there any way to turn this off, so the soundbites come in where I want them—i.e. without respect to the original measure/beat they may have been recorded at?
Last edited by Rick Cornish on Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
dix

Re: Paste or Merge at Wiper

Post by dix »

Have you tried pasting with grid turned off?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Are there fades on the soundbite causing the delay?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Wild guess... pre-record or whatever it's called is making soundbite start time prior to actually engaging record...
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

dix wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:39 pm Have you tried pasting with grid turned off?
Thanks (should have mentioned this), but all grids are *off*.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

cuttime wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:51 pm Are there fades on the soundbite causing the delay?
Nope—no fades on the soundbite I've copied.
Rick Cornish

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Hold down the Command key when you click on the exact location of the Paste. This bypasses the grid. Nudge settings can be getting in your way—again, the Command key is your friend when dragging a soundbite to an exact location.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:47 am Hold down the Command key when you click on the exact location of the Paste. This bypasses the grid. Nudge settings can be getting in your way—again, the Command key is your friend when dragging a soundbite to an exact location.
Thanks, Mike… but can this be applied when I want to just "Paste at Wiper" or "Merge at Wiper"?
Rick Cornish

RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

I never use measures and beats, for the same reason. Does it behave the same if you make a small selection, by clicking where you want the soundbite to start (in an empty track) and dragging slightly to the right? I often do that, and the soundbite pretty much always goes at the spot I've selected. Then if needed I adjust it by using the arrow keys, which (when grid is turned off) move the sound bite one pixel at whatever magnification you currently have.
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

RodneySauer wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:31 pm I never use measures and beats, for the same reason. Does it behave the same if you make a small selection, by clicking where you want the soundbite to start (in an empty track) and dragging slightly to the right? I often do that, and the soundbite pretty much always goes at the spot I've selected. Then if needed I adjust it by using the arrow keys, which (when grid is turned off) move the sound bite one pixel at whatever magnification you currently have.
Yeah… everything is turned off. No problems dragging stuff around, just when I paste from one group of tracks to another group of similar tracks.
Last edited by Rick Cornish on Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Cornish

Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

On a hunch—I tried removing Waves Greg Wells MixCentric from my mix buss. Now the files paste where I want them.

That plugin must do some goofy stuff, but it does add a little nice fairy dust to a mix.
Rick Cornish

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I don't use this much but recall it working OK. Just tried it. Whether the grid was on or off, it worked as expected. Wherever I have the cursor, that's where the left edge of the pasted soundbite goes.

Here is what I did:

1. Drag two soundbites into two tracks.
2. Select one of the soundbites
3. Select the track with the other soundbite
4. Move the wiper to some place in the middle of the soundbite in the now selected track.
5. Paste at wiper.

Repeat with grid off, and with wiper in various places, and after trimming the edges of the soundbite in various places.

Works in every instance.

I thought it might have something to do with sync points, but I tried editing them and it made no difference, The paste happened according to the left edge of the soundbite, putting it at the wiper, regardless of the placing of the sync point.

Are there other details in what you're doing that might shed light on why it's not working for you? Does the same thing happen if you create an insertion point and paste?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Rick Cornish wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:58 pm On a hunch—I tried removing Waves Greg Wells MixCentric from my mix buss. Now the files paste where I want them.

That plugin must do some goofy stuff, but it does add a little nice fairy dust to a mix.
Goofy for sure. That shouldn't influence where DP pastes data.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8