Setting up Octave Up & Down Transpose in Keyboard Maestro

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Setting up Octave Up & Down Transpose in Keyboard Maestro

Post by James Steele »

I posted this in another topic, but thought I'd make a separate post in case it helps anyone. I am NO expert in Keyboard Maestro, but thought this might help others. It illustrates using DP's Run Command window to facilitate creating a macro that might be more difficult otherwise.

----

I went into the Tranpose Window, set up the transpositions I wanted and gave them descriptive names. I'm always using 8va or 8vb.... up an octave or down an octave.

presets.png
presets.png (24.86 KiB) Viewed 2009 times

Then you can make a macro with Keyboard Maestro so that after you select a region, you hit a hotkey and Keyboard Maestro will invoke ⇧-Spacebar, then types as much of the name of the preset as needed... in my case it's "region transpose [up" although I used "regional transpose [up one octave" for some weird reason.

regionuponeoctave.png
regionuponeoctave.png (48.13 KiB) Viewed 2009 times

Then KM sends a single down arrow keypress which selects the preset...

downarrow.png
downarrow.png (54.37 KiB) Viewed 2009 times

Then have Keyboard Maestro follow that with a Return Key and you have an easy way to transpose up or down an octave at a time. Just select the notes or region and invoke the macro. You can repeat the commands for multiple octaves of course. Below is what this looks like in Keyboard Maestro. Again, I'm no expert on it, but I've been learning my way around it. One nice thing is I have a soft buttons on my MC Control touchscreen setup to send this Macro so it makes these common transpositions very easy.

kmtransposebypreset.png
kmtransposebypreset.png (104.85 KiB) Viewed 2009 times

softkeysmccontrol.jpg
softkeysmccontrol.jpg (123.85 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
Last edited by James Steele on Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added pic of MC Control touchscreen
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!