Make DP's dynamic eq boost dynamically instead of cut?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
pencilina
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Make DP's dynamic eq boost dynamically instead of cut?

Post by pencilina »

I'm trying to get DP's Dynamic Eq to boost dynamically instead of cut. The plug in guide mentions using minimum gain for expansion but after playing with it a bit I can only assume that the expansion its referring to is downward. Id like to be able to accentuate a curve's dynamics at a given threshold ala waves F6. Maybe its not possible.... any ideas? Thanks.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
stubbsonic

Re: Make DP's dynamic eq boost dynamically instead of cut?

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, I don't think you can with the settings available. One of my most-used plugins is MultiDynamics from WaveArts. It is staggeringly versatile and well-thought-out. I've used it for all sorts of upward/downward multiband dynamics action. It's $149 so not a light decision, I realize.

https://wavearts.com/products/plugins/multidynamics-6
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Yep….. Thanks. I’m waiting for PA’s Kirchhoff Eq to go salle and trying to avoid WUPing.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

pencilina wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:07 am I'm trying to get DP's Dynamic Eq to boost dynamically instead of cut. The plug in guide mentions using minimum gain for expansion but after playing with it a bit I can only assume that the expansion its referring to is downward. Id like to be able to accentuate a curve's dynamics at a given threshold ala waves F6. Maybe its not possible.... any ideas? Thanks.
Could you have the MOTU EQ cut everything other than the area you want to accent...?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

pencilina wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:07 am … I can only assume that the expansion its referring to is downward. …
That is correct.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

HCMarkus wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:07 am Could you have the MOTU EQ cut everything other than the area you want to accent...?
Maybe, but that seems clunky and probably not as surgical as I'd like it to be. The detection of the bands that cut would have to be keyed to the frequency of the band I want to boost. I'd have to use some kind of convoluted side chain routing into the dynamic eq plus sometimes I like to boost dynamically as well as cut. I might just WUP F6 for 12 bux until Kirchoff is 30 bux.
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

Toneboosters EQ 4 has upward and downward dynamics. Appears to be a Pultec emulation, works for me @ a good price.

https://toneboosters.com/tb_equalizer_v4.html
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Tonio wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:40 pm Toneboosters EQ 4 has upward and downward dynamics. Appears to be a Pultec emulation, works for me @ a good price.

https://toneboosters.com/tb_equalizer_v4.html

Thanks. Thats perfect, Has lots of control and flexibility. Awesome! And apparently you can run their plugs in demo mode without activation the only restrictions being you can't save presets and have to hit a demo button to tweak on reload (but settings stay). WAY COOL. I'm going to check out their other plugs as well.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

If you set a boost at a particular frequency (lets use 6db boost bell at 1KHz)and set the minimum gain to -6db (equal to the boost) then you'll get a flat response when no signal is present but 1KHz will be boosted according to level when signal is present. I think this is what you're looking for.

Of course you need to adjust your ratio for expansion and appropriate threshold.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Phil O wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:14 pm If you set a boost at a particular frequency (lets use 6db boost bell at 1KHz)and set the minimum gain to -6db (equal to the boost) then you'll get a flat response when no signal is present but 1KHz will be boosted according to level when signal is present. I think this is what you're looking for.

Of course you need to adjust your ratio for expansion and appropriate threshold.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
This sort of worked. I got upward compression with the min gain to the left at -60 and thresh at 0 but was also getting a bit of getting dynamic (downward) compression or a static boost depending on the ratio both of which I'd want to avoid. It seems almost impossible to get it to behave as I'd want it to- being unchanged below a specific threshold. I like how clear cut and adjustable F6 is. Regardless, thanks for clearing this up. It does expand upward, just not to gracefully.
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

If you have the time and patience, here are 2 free ways to achieve the results you want using DP's features:
1. Put one of DP's stock ParaEq plug-ins on the channel and set a band with the filter width, type, and frequency that you want to boost. Take a snapshot of the effect window at the start of the song with the filter gain set at 0. This will draw a straight line of automation set to 0 through the whole song. Then go to the SE window and find phrases where you want the boost. By clicking on the line, create "0" points at the start and end of the phrase, then create as many points as you wish between the 2 zero points and drag them up for as much boost as you want. Repeat and rinse for each phrase.
2. If you do not need any variation of boost within the boosted phrases, you can use this method instead: Use "Command Y" to select a phrase in the SE window to separate into its own soundbite. Select the soundbite and go to the audio menu and choose the function to apply a plugin. Choose the eq you want to use, adjust the settings to taste, then hit "apply". Of course, if it doesn't sound right hit undo and try again. AFTER it sounds right, listen carefully to the beginning and end of the phrase to make sure there are no clicks. If there are, you may have to slightly adjust the edges of the soundbite "inward" and then apply a crossfade by clicking at the top of the junction and sliding the mouse sideways.

If this is for a track in your song that is mostly buried in the mix, I would agree that a dynamic eq would be fine, but if this is for an important track like a lead vocal you may find you get a higher degree of control and better results with one of these "manual" tedious methods...

Doug
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

Oh, and of course since this is DP, there are still more ways to achieve similar results. I just thought of this one: Duplicate your track and apply the desired eq boost to the copy. Then use mute automation to choose the boosted copy when desired. This method is probably the easiest if you want the exact same amount of boost every time. But of course, you can fine tune it by automating the volume and/or eq of the boosted copy track. And there are probably more ways to get similar results....Anyone??

Doug
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Thanks Doug. I used to work that way a long time ago in a galaxy far away before good dynamic eqs became available and I got to know and love them. There are definitely times when I’’ll still automate EQ moves but they are rare these days and I would sooner automate bands of dynamic eq in and out if necessary. Most of the results I get now with dynamic eqs in a few minutes would go beyond tedium, mix OCD (or even being humane) to replicate with automation if even possible. Then there’s Eventide’s Spliteq, a very special tool, which I use in just about every mix but doesn’t replace dynamic eqs. Even the older (non-linear phase) ones like C4 have their charm and I’m sure I’ll discover some in DP’s dynamic eq as well. I’m just trying to buy sone time before upgrading my waves plugins.