"File Not Found (-43)"

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

"File Not Found (-43)"

Post by Rick Cornish »

Intermittently, while working on a DP project, I will have the error message "File Not Found (-43)" pop up. At this point, it appears that DP has lot it's connection with the project file and the only way to save my work is to create a new DP project.

It has happened while mixing, recording audio, and just playing back a file.

When it does, my only options seem to be:
1. Quit and lose my work.
2. Save as a new file
3. Save and then import missing audio into my original file

Is anyone else seeing this? Suggestions?

Thanks.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 12.14.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 12.14.59 PM.png (98.82 KiB) Viewed 13499 times
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
EMRR

Re: "File Not Found (-43)"

Post by EMRR »

Right after my new build I saw it multiple times a day, never lost anything. Haven’t seen it since.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Rick Cornish wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:35 am Intermittently, while working on a DP project, I will have the error message "File Not Found (-43)" pop up. At this point, it appears that DP has lot it's connection with the project file and the only way to save my work is to create a new DP project.

It has happened while mixing, recording audio, and just playing back a file.

When it does, my only options seem to be:
1. Quit and lose my work.
2. Save as a new file
3. Save and then import missing audio into my original file

Is anyone else seeing this? Suggestions?

Thanks.
I answered this a few days ago. Do not Quit.

viewtopic.php?t=72959&sid=d3e5e0469456d ... be7ead6d66
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks, Mike (as always). Interesting to know this is a Mac error and not DP.

I save often (a habit instilled decades ago when running a audio system of dual-C64s), so I don’t often lose much (if any), but today, I noticed it right after I finished a take on my guitar (3 simultaneous tracks: mic, amp, and preamp/direct). I did save the project under a different name and noticed the take files were there, but given generic names by DP instead of the track names my other audio files were given by DP when it was recording normally.

A head-scratcher, for sure. I put in a techlink (or whatever they're calling them these days) at MOTU, so we'll see what they say.
Last edited by Rick Cornish on Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

EMRR wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:46 am Right after my new build I saw it multiple times a day, never lost anything. Haven’t seen it since.
That’s encouraging, hope it happens that way for me.
Rick Cornish

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Rick Cornish wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:27 pm Thanks, Mike (as always). Interesting to know this is a Mac error and not DP.
I didn’t say that. The problem/error is that DP can no longer write to the project. -43 is an error report generated by the MacOS telling us this—it is not the error.

My workaround takes a few seconds and I don’t lose any work in the process. Until I figured it out, I Quit and wasted a hell of a lot of time re-doing things.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Kenny B
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: "File Not Found (-43)" (Time Machine culprit)

Post by Kenny B »

So I had been getting this exact same problem a few days ago. i didn't lose any work but it was a bit of a hassle and I couldn't figure out what could be causing the problem after many months of error free DP useage.

Then I remembered that I had just installed a new backup drive to work with TimeMachine since my old one had been running out of space. I set the preference to backup Automatically. Which i believe means that it can backup your drives any time it sees something new happening. Just for grins, I turned off Automatic backup and voila! my problem of -43 as disappeared. I've been running DP project for 2 days now and not one occurrence of -43 backup not found.
2023 Apple Mac Mini Pro M2; 12 Core, 32 GB Unified RAM, Mac OS Venura 13.6.1, 1 TB SSD boot, DP ver. 11.3, Apogee Symphony II 8x8, Axiom 61 Controller, MachFive2, FabFilter plugins, ReLab VSRn24 reverb. Some really great acoustic guitars, Schoeps MK4s, Charter Oak E700 mic, 2 Great River preamps
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:34 pm My workaround takes a few seconds and I don’t lose any work in the process. Until I figured it out, I Quit and wasted a hell of a lot of time re-doing things.
I recovered one that way just today. Curiously, on one such crash while recording the other day, the new, saved file contained the takes I just did, but with generic file names; while another time—today—it named the files correctly (as I had it set up in the project). But at least I'm not losing anything (yet…).
Rick Cornish

EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I saw it on new MBP and Studio builds initially, one with TM automatic backups running (but not on my projects folder), the other with none. Then it stopped happening. Once I got the generic file names, now that I think about it. I also got generic file names a couple times early on without seeing this error. That’s also stopped. Could this be related to snapshots?
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
Rick Cornish

Re: "File Not Found (-43)" (Time Machine culprit)

Post by Rick Cornish »

Kenny B wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:25 am So I had been getting this exact same problem a few days ago. i didn't lose any work but it was a bit of a hassle and I couldn't figure out what could be causing the problem after many months of error free DP useage.

Then I remembered that I had just installed a new backup drive to work with TimeMachine since my old one had been running out of space. I set the preference to backup Automatically. Which i believe means that it can backup your drives any time it sees something new happening. Just for grins, I turned off Automatic backup and voila! my problem of -43 as disappeared. I've been running DP project for 2 days now and not one occurrence of -43 backup not found.

This is interesting. I'll try turning off automatic backups and see what happens. Thanks for the tip!
Rick Cornish

Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

I turned off automatic Time Machine backups this morning and drove DP hard all day. Thus far, no crashes.

I downloaded a $6 app from the App Store called Backup Scheduler so I can run backups at night. I’ll know tomorrow if it’s working as advertised.

(BTW: No reply from MOTU yet on my TechLink.)

Kenny B and EMRR may have identified the problem… thanks, gents!
Rick Cornish

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Those who have done nothing have also seen it go away. I’ve not seen it in 10 days now and I haven’t turned off anything.

Turning off Automatic Backups in Time Machine turns off the APFS Snapshots that are generated hourly. There is no way in hell I will do that.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Rick Cornish wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:41 pm I turned off automatic Time Machine backups this morning and drove DP hard all day. Thus far, no crashes.

I downloaded a $6 app from the App Store called Backup Scheduler so I can run backups at night. I’ll know tomorrow if it’s working as advertised.

(BTW: No reply from MOTU yet on my TechLink.)

Kenny B and EMRR may have identified the problem… thanks, gents!
There is a terminal command that will change the schedule for automatic backups. I turned off automatic backups a long time ago when there was an update of Mojave that would copy the entire Photos library if there were any changes on each backup rather than just the changes. I just start a backup after a session and let it run for a few minutes before shutting the system down. Got used to that, and haven’t changed it.

As for snapshots, have they changed? I notice when I had Ventura on a test partition, TM was not set to automatic, but there was a reference to snapshots in Disk Utility, and it’s size was changing from time to time. Also, weren’t snapshots unavailable in systems with multiple startup volumes? (I’ve ditched the Ventura partition since)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Short answer as I observed it and confirmed by Apple Engineering: As of Ventura, the MacOS is saved in a separate Volume now. APFS Snapshots does not record this volume. Otherwise, it works the same as before.

I submitted a detailed report as a follow up to the Tech Link explaining why Time Machine cannot be the problem.

Something is interfering with the Save command. The problem is that DP cannot always write back to itself. Autosave triggers it but it can also happen when I hit Command-s. In addition, -43 doesn’t always pop up when I hit Command-s but the workaround is identical: navigate to the project folder and allow to overwrite while copying te Audio files.

Hopefully, the Activity Monitor will record this the next time but I haven’t seen it in 10 days.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:10 am As of Ventura, the MacOS is saved in a separate Volume now. APFS Snapshots does not record this volume. Otherwise, it works the same as before.
OK, so do APFS Snapshots record other volumes on the drive regardless of their content? (with or without an OS version)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8