Mix and Match Old and New Interfaces?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
fradubio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mix and Match Old and New Interfaces?

Post by fradubio »

Hi,
I'm finally stepping up from my 2012 Mini to a M2 Pro mini. I'm hoping to the adapters will work with my firewire 896HD and 8 Pre (connected by ADAT).

If I run into trouble, will I be able to get a more modern interface and link my older MOTU gear via ADAT to get more channels, or is that asking for trouble given the advances in the last decade?

Thanks for any insights.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mix and Match Old and New Interfaces?

Post by mikehalloran »

On the Mac, you can create an Aggregate Device. This is done at the OS level, not the device drivers.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000

There are many tutorial videos etc. but I would start with the above Apple Support doc.

A few Windows users have been asking the same thing recently but either a) it's not possible or b) no one remembers how including MOTU. I'm in the camp that remembers it being possible but don't recall how it's done.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro