Microphone Repair?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Microphone Repair?

Post by James Steele »

So I took my Red Type B microphone out of long term storage, set it up, and it’s got a problem. I’ve isolated it to the mic itself. It’s making periodic little spikes/pops… they’re fairly tiny, but it’s enough to not be useable. They seem random like maybe a few seconds apart. I tried cleaning the bayonet and XLR connectors and doesn’t seem to help. Any ideas? I have emailed Blue Microphone support (as they were the ones who manufactured these and sold them under the "Red" brand) to see if they might offer repair service, but I'm not hopeful.

Can anyone recommend a place that might be able to repair this mic. It's probably a capacitor or some component inside the microphone that has gone bad. Attached is a pic of what it looks like:

Type-B.jpg
Type-B.jpg (29.51 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Rick Cornish

Re: Microphone Repair?

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hey James.......
I have someone who was highly recommended to me when I was having trouble with my Neumann (highly recommended as in "this is the only guy I ever use"). I ended up sending that mic to the factory, so I don't have personal experience with him, but all reports are this guy is great. (The recommendation came from a great and *VERY* experienced studio/live engineer who mixes and now produces for National Public Radio. He's also going to mix and master my solo guitar album this spring.)

I don't have the guy's digits, but you can find him on Facebook and he responds to Messenger. His name is Eddie Ciletti.
https://www.facebook.com/eddie.ciletti

You could always just look him up and see what he says.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:10 pm Hey James.......
I have someone who was highly recommended to me when I was having trouble with my Neumann (highly recommended as in "this is the only guy I ever use"). I ended up sending that mic to the factory, so I don't have personal experience with him, but all reports are this guy is great. (The recommendation came from a great and *VERY* experienced studio/live engineer who mixes and now produces for National Public Radio. He's also going to mix and master my solo guitar album this spring.)

I don't have the guy's digits, but you can find him on Facebook and he responds to Messenger. His name is Eddie Ciletti.
https://www.facebook.com/eddie.ciletti

You could always just look him up and see what he says.
Appreciate this a lot. I won't know if it's cost effective yet to repair, but it's worth it to me to find out as they don't make these mics anymore and it this particular mic fit my voice well.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I sent a FB message to Eddie. Hopefully he will see it. I do have a friend who owns two of these mics and told me he'd sell me one of his, so depending on cost of repair versus buying another, I might go with buying one from my friend.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Are there any switches? If so, burnish the contacts by flipping back and forth a few hundred times. This normally does it for me, even my Neumanns. I've done this successfully with AKG, Shure, Groove Tubes and Sony mics as well.

Unfortunately, there are other potential causes such as cold solder joints, failing transistors, shielding and capacitors.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Eddie used to write for Mix and Keyboard magazines so he does have some street cred. His wonky website:

https://www.tangible-technology.com/
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:00 pm Are there any switches? If so, burnish the contacts by flipping back and forth a few hundred times. This normally does it for me, even my Neumanns. I've done this successfully with AKG, Shure, Groove Tubes and Sony mics as well.

Unfortunately, there are other potential causes such as cold solder joints, failing transistors, shielding and capacitors.
No switches on this one. Just the XLR connect and a bayonet mount for different capsule options they sold at the time. I'm waiting to see what the friend who has two would want in order to sell me one of his. I expect it won't necessarily be cheap to fix, so I might want to just buy another.

This is a mic from 2005, so could be that mic technology has come a long way and I might want to consider something else entirely. Not quite sure at this point. I'm using, for a now, an old Groove Tubes GT-66 that I like. It's a little less present in the top end, but sound pretty good. I don't have many LDCs... the Red was my go-to for my vocals. GT-66 works in a pinch. I have a very cheap MXL that I bought on a recommendation that it was a good mic "for the money" but I haven't put that one up yet to test it.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:42 pm Eddie used to write for Mix and Keyboard magazines so he does have some street cred. His wonky website:

https://www.tangible-technology.com/
I did hear back from him. He advised me that I might want to find out what I can get another one for first. It may be that repair just won't be worth it.

EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Leave it on a day or two and check it again. Might work itself out.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

EMRR wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:03 am Leave it on a day or two and check it again. Might work itself out.
A warm, dry place can make Mic happy.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

EMRR wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:03 am Leave it on a day or two and check it again. Might work itself out.
Agreed. It may also get worse but that tells you something as well.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Thanks for the suggestions. It was definitely always dry and kept in its box, but it may have gotten cold. I’ll set something up with a cheap mixer and send phantom power to it for 24 hours (or more?) and see if it does indeed work itself out.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Hmmm... really strange. I went out to set up the mic with a little Mackie mixer in the rehearsal room. Figured I'd leave it on with phantom power for a day or so and see if it got better. Darned thing wasn't making the noise anymore! Don't know if maybe warming up over a day helped.

It do think maybe it started acting up a little bit a moment ago but the little tiny "clicks" or whatever are so ridiculously low that I don't think it will be an issue. And the mic has already sort of settled down again. Might just need to be warmed up and used for a bit. Might also be that my Millennia HV-3C is ridiculously sensitive and other pres aren't even registering it?

Not sure... but I think it's usable. I really love this mic. For my voice, I can almost really just put zero EQ on it and it still sounds good. It's crazy. Everyone has a mic that really suits them... this seems like one of those for me. I hope this holds. Might still be a good idea to take it out to the rehearsal room and just leave it on with phantom power overnight. I think I'll do that. Although it gets cold out there. Ugh... should maybe do it inside instead probably. Yep.

EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Sounds similar to RF problems. I have a Sony C-48 that picks up less RF junk if the battery door is open! Some places it’s totally clean. See if parking your phone closer/further makes any diff.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

EMRR wrote:Sounds similar to RF problems. I have a Sony C-48 that picks up less RF junk if the battery door is open! Some places it’s totally clean. See if parking your phone closer/further makes any diff.
Hmmm… that’s an interesting possibility! I’ll have to investigate that further!