DP 11 Mixer Bug?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 11 Mixer Bug?

Post by bayswater »

I have a fairly complicated template that routes MIDI to VI to output bus to Audio Track to Mixbus to Master Bus to Main Out. There are also some sends to phones, Black Hole and Reverbs. When I add a MIDI track, I play a note or two an look at the meters in the Mixer to make sure the signal is routed properly.

Today when I tried that, none of the meters in the Mixer showed a signal, not even the MIDI channel while in record mode. I have bx_meter on the main outs and it showed a signal, and I could hear it. All the mixer controls did what you'd expect at each stage of the signal path, so obviously the signal path was there and operating properly. The Meter Bridge showed a signal in all the right channels. Never seen this before and I don't recall an option in the Mixer to turn the meters off

I saved the project, restarted DP and the project, and all the correct meters in the Mixer showed the signal properly. After a while, the same thing happened again.

Back to Save and reopen, it all worked again. For a while.

I'm baffled.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Re: DP 11 Mixer Bug?

Post by HCMarkus »

I've lost meters now and then on projects. Don't know why. Like you, quit and restart and all is OK. I haven't worried about it too much or tried to diagnose.

I reported a mixer bug to MOTU... on combo MIDI/VI Tracks, Automation Record doesn't always show solid red when recording; it keeps flashing.

As I mentioned in another recent thread, I plan to rebuilt my template (opened into DP11 from DP9.5) when the current project is completed. This may alleviate some issues, like the "NI Battery not loading samples" problem I have run into.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:43 pm I've lost meters now and then on projects. Don't know why. Like you, quit and restart and all is OK. I haven't worried about it too much or tried to diagnose.
Since it happens infrequently—not even once a year for me—and comes back after a restart, I've never bothered to figure out why. It did happen last week and threw me for a bit before I remembered seeing it before.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

This happened to me once, about a year ago, and a restart fixed it.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:43 pm I've lost meters now and then on projects. Don't know why. Like you, quit and restart and all is OK. I haven't worried about it too much or tried to diagnose.

I reported a mixer bug to MOTU... on combo MIDI/VI Tracks, Automation Record doesn't always show solid red when recording; it keeps flashing.

As I mentioned in another recent thread, I plan to rebuilt my template (opened into DP11 from DP9.5) when the current project is completed. This may alleviate some issues, like the "NI Battery not loading samples" problem I have run into.
I’ve been working on a new template from scratch. I’ve had problems in the past using templates from earlier DP versions, so part of the update process is a new template.

Looks like this happens to others, so I’ll report this as a bug.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Yup. Seen it here on rare occasion.Same deal. A simple restart makes them wanna come out and play again. Weird.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Matt suggests it’s a bad preference associated with plugins. Not entirely out of the question. Seems to happen when the VI in an instrument track is changed.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I have this issue on a bunch of (related) projects. Restart doesn't help. I've used several different interfaces on these projects as they went along and at times had to use two interfaces at once. It's only the meters next to the faders in the mixing board affected, everything else in the signal path seems fine. I was able to ignore it through the first part of this big project, but I'm at a stage now where it's a real problem.
Any suggestions for fixes? Not sure what to even try.

PS I might be sporadic in responding as I'm doing some short travel trips, but I appreciate any ideas!
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I never solved it but it did go away. I had another problem that Matt said was most likely a result of corrupt preferences. I removed the preferences and that problem disappeared. Possible that the meter problem was also a result of corrupt preferences.

I also rebuilt templates for DP 11, so that’s a possibility too.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Ditto. It's happened to me on occasion and I've never been able to pin down why, but I usually just re-launch DP and I'm okay. Might even be possible to simply close and re-open the project and clear the issue as well. I can't remember right now. I'm sure it will happen again, but it's rare.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Thanks, guys!
I'll start with prefs.
If I have to, I'll make a new template and copy-paste from the old files (37 songs). Will take a while but at least they're all nearly identical track layouts. I should probably submit to MOTU I guess - maybe they could figure out the issue from one of these files, but I rarely have any luck from tech support, to be honest.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Phil, I first reported this to MOTU July 2010 with DP 7.2 and OS X 10.6.8. Then they said to load the offending sequence into a new project and if that didn’t work, move preferences to the desktop. My most recent report to MOTU using DP 11.22 and macOS 14.6, filed a few weeks ago, resulted in the suggestion to move preferences to the desktop.

I don’t think they’re going to solve this one.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

bayswater wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:16 pm Phil, I first reported this to MOTU July 2010 with DP 7.2 and OS X 10.6.8. Then they said to load the offending sequence into a new project and if that didn’t work, move preferences to the desktop. My most recent report to MOTU using DP 11.22 and macOS 14.6, filed a few weeks ago, resulted in the suggestion to move preferences to the desktop.

I don’t think they’re going to solve this one.
Thanks, Bays, I appreciate your honesty.
That pretty much sums up my MOTU tech support experience as well.

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

bayswater wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:30 am Matt suggests it’s a bad preference associated with plugins. Not entirely out of the question. Seems to happen when the VI in an instrument track is changed.
Just re-read the thread and wanted to add there are zero VI's involved in my case.