MOTU 828 MK2 Firewire and MOTU MIDI Express compatability

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Seventh2nd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU 828 MK2 Firewire and MOTU MIDI Express compatability

Post by Seventh2nd »

Dear All.
I've been working with Logic on a Mac Mini for a while now.
Since this is not entirely flawless, (the Mac Mini turns out to be a bit too light for Logic) I started looking for a replacement.
I now have my eye on a Mac Pro 2013, 12core 64gb Ram, running on Montery. This seems to me to be more than enough to be able to work with Logic without any problems.
However, I have an 828 MK2 firewire and a MIDI Express 128. These devices work without problems on my current Mac Mini, which runs on Catalina. I have never tried an update of the OS, because I am afraid that my Motu drivers will no longer work.
My question now is, can I continue to use my 828 MK2 and MIDI Express 128 on a Mac running Montery?
Or will this work but do I need to revert the Mac to Catalina?
Or, with this hardware, will I run into other problems if I buy another Mac with a different OS?

I'd love to hear your experiences.

Kind regards,
Rene
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU 828 MK2 Firewire and MOTU MIDI Express compatability

Post by mikehalloran »

Read this thread
https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewt ... ii#p598128

Unless that MacPro 6.1 is being given to you, I would avoid. The design is now ten years old. Though there are upgrades that an be done, anything released since 2017 will be faster and better suited.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro